• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: part four

The website is hurting their cause; it appears to be a list of excuses for not properly health testing and following protocols

I agree totally.What in theory was a very good idea has fallen flat on it's face.
The main thrust of the pedigree dogs exposed programme was that disabled dogs were being bred!
If a human is on medication for diabetes they are classed as disabled,
If a human has chiari/syringomyelia/scoliosis thay are classed as disabled,
It doesn't matter what medication you give a dog, you can mask the symptoms but the underlying cause is still there and someone bred that disabled dog.
Six year old spaniels should not be dropping dead from heart failure or taking medication.
Sins

Just a couple of posts that may be of interest regarding Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

:mad:First, there was a rather nasty allegation about Jemima's filming of the Cavaliers on the programme on the Dog World site.

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/Breeds/BreedNotes/39-CAV.aspx

I have been trying to ignore the lady who posted it, but I didn't feel I could let this pass so I contacted Jemima to get her response, then asked her permission to post her comments. She replied saying that no doubt her comments would cause more nasty comments back, but that she was feeling brave so I could go ahead and quote her!

Regarding post 90 I was concerned about the allegations made, so contacted Jemima from Passionate Productions for clarification. She replied as follows:

“Television is a visual medium. And I don’t believe anyone would have been upset if the story had been on puppy farms and I had showed dogs in appalling condition in some dirty kennel in south Wales. My pitch to the cavalier community was that I wanted to illustrate how awful heart disease was in the cavalier to help generate the impetus to tackle it. There’s no better way of doing this than showing a dog in end-stage heart disease and I have to say that Bet showed no indication that she had a problem with this at the time. The problem was that the film then went on to say that the cavalier community had failed to address heart problems – because too many “responsible” breeders ignore the MVD breeding protocol which are designed to tackle MVD. “In the end, we found a pet owner who was very willing to let us film her cavs in end-stage heart-failure. Why on earth would she mind? Her cavaliers have cost her £40k over the years. She loves them. She wants things to change.

The “wee tri”, meanwhile, was filmed by his owner, desperate that some good come out of the most awful experience. She hopes it will spur people and organisations do everything they possibly can to address SM so that other dogs don’t have to go through what her dog did. It’s archive footage – the dog was PTS some time ago, before we made the film. As for the PETA accusation.. as have said elsewhere – I must be the only paid-up member of PETA who has a working gundog (my flatcoat Maisie)!.”

This link says it all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem :xctly:

I hope that there will be no repetition of the groundless allegations made against Jemima. Jan Bell

Posted at 08:28 on 04 Oct 2008 by
Jan B | Report as inappropriate

The second item I thought I'd post here comes from Beverley Cuddy's blog, which I thought was very interesting in respect of the problems of being able to speak out due to concerns about funding:

Dear editor,

I would like to add some further commentary regarding the film Pedigree Dogs Exposed, shown on BBC1 on August 19. In contrast to Nick Blayney [Ed note: BVA president at time documentary aired and featured in the documentary being very supportive of the KC] (September 1 issue), I thought the programme was a reasonable presentation to the general public of the facts associated with pedigree dog breeding. No doubt, many will have been surprised – or even shocked – at the evidence of ill health in pedigree dogs, although the existence of widespread breed-associated disease is common knowledge among veterinary professionals.

I was also interviewed at length for the programme. The producers told me an important obstacle they encountered was a reluctance of vets, and especially those in academia, to speak freely about The Kennel Club (KC), because of the potential risk of losing future research funding from the organisation. This certainly is a quandary, because of the extreme paucity of funds available in this country for clinical research in dogs. Indeed, I have been a recipient of KC funding, so publicly questioning the KC could appear disloyal.

However, as vets our foremost professional loyalty must be to the animals we have pledged to serve. I believe the time has now come to abandon the pusillanimous approach to the more questionable aspects of dog breeding in this country. I would liken the need for the veterinary profession to unite and present an alternative point of view to the KC to that of a person who is alarmed by the errant behaviour of a close friend or relative and who must eventually speak out.

The whole issue of dog breeding practice merits an article in itself, but of the points raised by Mr Blayney in the article, science – and its role in providing solutions – is, of course, of key importance. There are, however, two aspects to the control of breed-associated disease.

Firstly, there are dogs that are obviously conformationally unsound: there is little need for scientific research to understand that animals that are unable to breathe without distress, to walk for any reasonable distance or to breed unaided – all prevalent in specific breeds – are not humane end points of in-breeding. As a veterinary educator, I find it difficult to explain to students the claim that the KC is safeguarding the health and welfare of pedigree dogs while this is permitted. It also often begs questions from students about why it is so important that the KC remains “in control” of dog breeding?

Secondly, there are breeds that are conformationally basically sound, but carry a high risk for specific breed-associated genetic disease. For these, the present approach – rightly developed by the KC – of attempting to identify and eliminate disease-associated genes may be appropriate: there are many extremely conscientious breeders who wish to do all they can to preserve the health of their breeds. However, these individuals often feel their efforts are poorly recognised and supported. Therefore, in addition to establishing appropriate genetic testing methodology, very vigorous support of these breeders from both the KC and the veterinary organisations is imperative if these programmes are to successfully achieve their aims.

Even so, some breed-associated diseases will likely prove refractory to this type of approach – most notably those that are caused by multiple genetic abnormalities. Furthermore, elimination of individuals carrying one specific genetic abnormality may also limit the remaining available gene pool to an unrealistic degree.

Finally, it has been noted that current breeding practice will inevitably shrink gene pools, meaning it will be unsustainable in the long term for all breeds. It was disappointing that this was pointed out in the television programme by a geneticist rather than a veterinarian. Clearly, there are many issues regarding dog breeding that the veterinary profession as a whole could, and should, provide analysis and advice on. It may be necessary for more obvious and radical approaches to be adopted. For instance, it could be argued that the greatest contribution the veterinary profession could make to improving the welfare of domestic dogs would be to campaign for an end to]selective breeding in the form it is currently practised.

Yours faithfully
NICK JEFFERY, BVSc, PhD, CertSAO, DSAS(soft tissue), DECVN, DECVS, FRCVS,
Professor of veterinary clinical studies, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 0ES.

(y)http://www.coldwetnose.blogspot.com/

Sorry this was a long entry.

Last edited:
According to Breed Notes,Dog World UK, Margaret Carter was removed from her office today :(

Oh gosh, has anyone spoken with her? How is it all "go down"?

Margaret C, I am so sorry. Perhaps there will be a silver lining to this unfair outcome and you can continue your campaign for cavalier health unobstructed now.

Perhaps there will be a silver lining to this unfair outcome and you can continue your campaign for cavalier health unobstructed now.

That's just what I think.

You know what, Margaret offered to come with me to Royal Veterinary College when I take Dylan. In my hour of need, when she doesn't even know me, she knew I'd need someone and offered. That's the kind of person Margaret is. She's thoughtful and kind.

I think that the out come was never in doubt they have got there way it was not a fair meeting

I am so sad at this bit of news :cry*ing:
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Jake)

For me this is the saddest day in the history of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club. Margaret C was without a doubt the best Health Representative that club ever had. I HOPE that Miss Costello is met with the same fate.

The post by Jemima Harrison was removed from Dog World web site, how low can these people stoop. Norma Inglis wrote how nasty some posters were I do hope she includes B. Hargreaves. Having had my full name and my home town printed for all to see Mrs Inglis should also include herself.

Oh I seen their posts.

The term 'did you type that with one hand' springs to mind with one poster and I never thought I would think that about a women.

For me this is the saddest day in the history of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club. Margaret C was without a doubt the best Health Representative that club ever had. I HOPE that Miss Costello is met with the same fate.

The post by Jemima Harrison was removed from Dog World web site, how low can these people stoop. Norma Inglis wrote how nasty some posters were I do hope she includes B. Hargreaves. Having had my full name and my home town printed for all to see Mrs Inglis should also include herself.
This is a sad day. The members of the CKCS club who voted Margaret out will continue to produce cavaliers who have MVD and SM without changing their breeding practices, with no thought or care for the emotional and financial burden this places on cavalier owners.

I'm thinking out loud here: perhaps a second organization [a world wide club?] could be created for health concious cavalier breeders who are willing to share what they're doing to improve the breed's health. They could still belong to the main club, but their membership in a second organization would showcase their commitment to breed health.

HollyDolly, what do you mean by this? Did someone print your full name and home town on Dog World? If so, have you filed a complaint?

Yes Cathy, I think you're right. I am not a member of the CKCS club whose members disgraced themselves today by voting to oppose openess and honesty within its ranks . I think the time has come to set up a CKCS Club that DOES have the welfare of the breed at heart, as sadly the present one clearly no longer does.

Diane.

Last edited:
HollyDolly, what do you mean by this? Did someone print your full name and home town on Dog World? If so, have you filed a complaint?

Yes, Norma posted HollyDolly's full name and home town. A complaint was lodged and it was removed then it was posted a second time by Norma, that was removed also. And we were criticized many times for not giving our surnames.

Yes Cathy I did lodge a complaint with Dog World and although it was removed they did not reply to me and Mrs Inglis printed it again. To this date they have not acknowledged my formal letter or e mail.
I was very shoocked that Mrs Inglis could stoop so low but then again after what happened today maybe not.
She said in one of her posts that she had taken steps to have dog world editors remove posters who she considers inappropriate , I see she is still writing for them:mad:

:yikes:yikes:yikes Most magazines would FIRE an employee for doing that!

On the Internet the right to security and privacy should always come first.

Is there not an agency of some sort you could report this to? She obviously cannot be trusted.:eek:

Back