• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Kennel Club Breeders Competition

Susannon

I read this morning that there is to be a new class at dog shows for breeders - The Kennel Club Breeders Competition - see here

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/1961/pg_dtl_art_news/pg_hdr_art/pg_ftr_art

To begin with I thought - marvellous, they are having a competition about health and good formation of puppies, as free as possible from disease, as well as the usual looks and movement. (I tell you, being an optimist is a hard thing to carry on with!)

However, I was astonished to see that there is no reference to any health issues at all. Apparently it would seem to be about having four dogs that resemble each other - well that is such an important thing I suppose, compared with heart disease, pain in SM and the heartbreak of losing a well-loved dog.

This is the reason for this new class to be established -

'Mr Irving continued, “The fact that this competition will culminate in an annual Final of Best Breeder’s Group at Crufts will give all UK breeders the ultimate opportunity to demonstrate to the world of dogs that their lines are at the top for excellence.” '

As there is no reference to health, no reference to long living puppies, no reference to making companion dogs as healthy as they can be, what the hell do they mean by excellence? Length of ears, markings, carriage of tail? I despair.

I wrote this morning to the Kennel Club asking why there is still the emphasis on looks and not health. I shall forward any reply from them, should there be one!

sue

I only have to see the words "Mr Irving" to know it's probably not good news. He is, after all, the man publicly said he won't let scientists tell him how to breed, despite the KC spending thousands on research to do just that.

Back