Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Calorie Food

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Low Calorie Food

Hi

I still have Poppy on a diet but i am extremely nervous about weighing her as i don't think shes lost any more weight ,so i could do with good Cavalier diets please .Shes on Burns light plus beans ,carrot and broccoli with fresh plain cooked chicken breast but never having been on a diet myself i am unsure what else i can feed her thats good filling low calorie food .I presume plain white rice is a choice but other suggestions would be greatly appreciated please as i don't want to cut her Burns back as i only give her 40 gramme twice daily plus the other bits and i don't want her chewing my leg and as it is Pops finishes first then eyeballs every mouthful Rosie and Daisy has ,its a good job i feed them two in their crates as i think Poppy would quickly hoover everything up.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Brian as well as being on a low cal diet perhaps more exercise could help with the weight loss...how much exercise/running does she do on a daily basis? exercise (not slow walking!)should burn away the calories

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Three good walks Sat and Sun ,and nightly on Mon ,Tues ,Wed and Fri and the good thing as we have three little darlings baby Rosie harasses, Poppy by dangling off her ear on every walk and each time in the garden during the day she chases Poppy round and round the trees and pot plants .As Dawn is home full time they go out quite a lot but unfortunately as my good lady is not an animal nut she takes them for walks rarely and this point has often been discussed but its still a project in work so i am stuck on any further increase in exercise ,i know its a fine line and its calories in versus calories used so any ideas are wellcome pls
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

We have some on diets here. I measure the dog food. Then I put raw carrots into a food processor and shred them. I also add raw green beans, zucchini, pumpkin and other veggies to their small portion of dog food to bulk up the amount. The weight is slowly coming off.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Shes on Burns light plus beans ,carrot and broccoli with fresh plain cooked chicken breast but never having been on a diet myself i am unsure what else i can feed her thats good filling low calorie food
    As I said last time that feeding a light dog food means lest protein in the ingredients and you are adding more protein to the food thatā€™s not needed. The oats in the food is the filler, you don't need to add anything else.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/obesity.htm
    Vegetables (cooked and raw) can safely be included to help fill the dog if you think that is needed. It is important to check the weight regularly to ensure that the weight reduction programme is on course. It is better to lose weight slowly than rapidly - 1/2 lb per week for a small dog up to 2 lb a week for a large dog.

Another common problem that the Burns' nutritionists face is one of unintentional overfeeding. To lose weight, it is important to feed according to the target weight, not the current weight of your dog. Ask your veterinarian for a sensible target weight, or contact the Burns' helpline for more information.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    sorry i am lost shall i just give her more burns lite dry and nothing else

rgds

bri
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

You can give her the veg with the burns but you don't need to add any meat to it. The oats will fill her up and keep her from feeling hungry.

You should be feeding the amount for the weight she is trying to reach.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Can you suggest ny other low calorie food i could try with her pls

TKS

Brian
    Brian M

Post Thanks / Like

I think they are all about the same. Burns high oats is one of the better ones, but I think your main problem was adding more stuff instead of just keeping to a controlled amount. You can add the veg but leave the meat out of it and up her exercise.

My SiĆ¢nE is fed high oats because she diabetic but she doesn't really need anything else added to it apart from some veg. She does get some meat during the day (to wrap up her tablets) but that's it.

In fact her coat now glows and she no longer has dandruff.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain, Brian! Daisy went down 2 pounds earlier this summer, but at the last vet visit, she was right back up where she started. Very frustrating.

Whenever I've talked to "dog people" about this issue, the thing I hear over and over, including on this board, is to cut their dog food in half, but to add green beans or broccoli to bring the bulk back up to what it was, so they aren't so hungry and deprived. However, this is easier said than done, as I've learned. I've apparently got no more willpower on Daisy's behalf than I have on my own.

From what you've written (although it's hard for me to picture grams but I remember from a previous thread when Karlin translated it into a very small amount, cup-wise), the only other thing I would cut out would be the chicken breast. And I definitely would not add more carbs in the form of rice.

For us, I know the problem is and has always been the treats. She LOVES her treats, and I've gotten used to giving her treats to get her cooperation in things like brushing, coming when called, trimming nails, going in her crate, etc. She would feel absolutely betrayed if I put her in her crate, for instance, without rewarding her with a treat. I don't think she would ever forgive me.

I have unconsciously snuck her back up to her old quantity of food (a little less than one cup a day), but I'm clearly going to have to go back down to the 2/3 cup a day I was doing earlier this summer. I may also try light food next, but for now, I am working on limiting the treats and upping the exercise. We are in an agility class, that I hope will burn calories off of both Daisy and me. She's a complete natural and is doing great at that. I'm so proud of her!