Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Calorie Food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Diet Food

My podgy Cavalier was on "Hill Science Plan, Light" and it really helped with the weight loss. She is currently on "Royal Canin, Light" (we couldn't get the other the last time we bought food for her) and is still doing fine. I don't give her anything else (chicken etc) but she gets raw hide and carrot when we treat her. When we are trying to get her to loose weight we try to bring her for 2 (if not more) brisk walks each day (for 20 - 30 minutes). The weight came off quite well, 2kg, but then due to a change in circumstances we couldn't dedicte so much time to the weight loss and she gained 1kg. We are starting back on the weight loss program again and she needs to loose 2kg to be down to an ok weight.

It can be very frustrating dealing with it, if they have a slow metabloism and are generally not super active the weight piles on without notice and then it is 10 times harder to get rid of it than it was to put it on (story of life!). Do keep at it though, it really pays off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Davy

Thanks for your replies would you think if i feed Poppy as follows but bear in mind she is a larger Cavalier while Daisy and Rosie are physically smaller and weigh in at 7.1 kilo Poppy still tips the scales at 13.60 kilo so i would like to see her somewhere near 10.5 to 11.0 kilo

Two meals first at 7.30 am second 6.00 pm
    so following would be for one meal

Burns High Oats 50 gram

Green Beans

Carrot

Broccoli

Keepers Mix 1 scoop (herbal conditioning supplement )

Companion Animals Pro/Pre - Biotic supplement 1 scoop

Kronch salmon oil 1 squirt

I would feed Poppy the above twice a day then of an evening give her a general conditioning tablet and an evening primrose oil capsule plus 4-5 Barker & barker little liver treat tablets (allowed up to 180 a day) .
    Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds fine,is she has been spay you can knock of some more of say down to 45gms or 40grms is she still not lost anything.

SiĆ¢nE is a spay lazy female but she is fed on 50grams twice a day to maintain her weight. She is a trim 12kgs but even so I still have to be careful with her as last time as the vets I thought she had lost weight only to find out she had gained a few pounds.

Oh and I don't care how much they say they don't keep in mind the secret feeders. Your not always around and its soo easy to think one bit won't do no harm, till you find out how many of them are giving one bit and having three dogs in the house it will be hard to single one out from the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Davy

Thanks for your replies would you think if i feed Poppy as follows but bear in mind she is a larger Cavalier while Daisy and Rosie are physically smaller and weigh in at 7.1 kilo Poppy still tips the scales at 13.60 kilo so i would like to see her somewhere near 10.5 to 11.0 kilo

Two meals first at 7.30 am second 6.00 pm
    so following would be for one meal

Burns High Oats 50 gram

Green Beans

Carrot

Broccoli

Keepers Mix 1 scoop (herbal conditioning supplement )

Companion Animals Pro/Pre - Biotic supplement 1 scoop

Kronch salmon oil 1 squirt

I would feed Poppy the above twice a day then of an evening give her a general conditioning tablet and an evening primrose oil capsule plus 4-5 Barker & barker little liver treat tablets (allowed up to 180 a day) .
    Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Thanks Davy and everybody poor Pops diet starts tomorow ,and one last question pls is it OK to give them a bit of boiled white fish (no bones ) and cut down a bit on the Burns but that would only be once a week.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Thanks Davy and everybody poor Pops diet starts tomorow ,and one last question pls is it OK to give them a bit of boiled white fish (no bones ) and cut down a bit on the Burns but that would only be once a week.
    Yes of course you can. SiĆ¢nE still gets pilchards a couple of times a week for an evening meal. If I get some meat to add to her meals I do cut down on the dry food, just that I don't do it everyday and until you see the weight start to go just do it once a week.

There no harm in a treat (meal) so not to get too boring for her, just not everyday and until you see the weight start to come off just do it once a week.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!