Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding instructions from the vet - do you agree?

Post Thanks / Like

I, also agree with what the vet said. I also tend to agree with leaving the food down. I have found doing that eliminates the dog's belief that they need to gobble everything in front of them any time it is presented because they believe it will be the last they get for a while. Dogs fed this way do not tend to overeat and get fat. Food is taken for granted, not eagerly anticipated (though treats still are!)
    I always did this method of feeding with wonderful results for many long years. I have had to change the way I feed around my house, however, because I began to have squabbles over the food. Kaya had gotten to where she guarded the bowls. Now I separate everyone and feed that way now. Otherwise, Kaya scarfs down her smaller portion with twice the speed of Odin and Lad, and then goes and takes theirs from them, or starts a fight trying. I now leave the food for 20 minutes and in the rare event someone doesn't eat it all, I pick it up. However, with Bandit (and also with Pixie when she was alive), I leave the food down 24/7 in his area inside (other dogs have no access) and Pixie always had her bowl down 24/7, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vshenoy View Post
    So the consensus seems to be to feed adult food, feed twice a day, and pick up the food after 15-20 minutes. I didn't like the idea of leaving food laying around all day either!

Meenah is my only dog so she has noone else to compete with for food. She'll eat any human food I give her and she'll even eat the dog food in her bowl if I pick it up and feed it to her by hand. But a few times a week, she won't touch her food when I put it down. This morning I did try leaving it out instead of pulling it up. She didn't touch it until an hour and half later when I put it out on the deck when she was playing outside. She then gobbled it up. Maybe I need to move her breakfast to later in the morning when she's had time to move around.
    I would stop feeding her human food. If I ever let my dog eat human food...they would just look at me with their brown eyes and hoping for more. My dog used to not eat whenever he comes back from "grandpa's" place. Turned out Grandpa fed him costco Chicken! Grandpa is banned from feeding him anything now! My boy would not eat for days upon returning from their grandpa's place. He would starve himself for 2 days before starting eating his dry food. I sometimes leave the food out longer since both of my boys are very slow eaters. However, i do try to pick up the dish after a while. Don't worry too much. Some dogs just eat little.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I've always been told.

"Never free feed. Many dogs will overeat if food is constantly available. They also may be more finicky about their food because they are never really hungry at mealtime. Allow 15 to 20 minutes for your dog to eat his meal and remove any left over food. Let his gastric juices and digestive system take a rest in between meals."
    The last sentence being an important issue IMO.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the majority on this one. I feed twice a day. I used to feed only in the evening but find they do much better eating two smaller meals rather than one big one. I don't need to worry anymore about the 15 minute rule.....my two inhale their feed so quick I can't blink or I'll miss it Didn't used to be like that though. I did the 15 minute rule with Jake as a puppy after begging him to eat. 3 meals and he got the message.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

We feed twice a day, and the food is gone within 2 minutes(if that).

Murphy used to be a picky eater at this stage too. I changed to adult food(RC Mini), and stopped feeding him as much.

We used to feed what it said on the packet, but now your lucky if I feed half of the daily recomendation, and he's the picture of health. I found he never turned his nose up after this, I think it's best find your own amount to feed as well. We feed Murphy more in the summer as he gets longer, more active walks, in the winter if we fed him the same he'd put on weight as we're less active.

I'd watch what other treats and things you feed as these can fill them up too, and reduce the dog food accordinly

Post Thanks / Like

I feed morning and evening, with a snack at bedtime. Oddly enough the issue of lifting food after 15 minutes has never arisen, I'd be hard pushed to find any after 15 seconds
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input! It is very helpful seeing how other people feed their dogs. Never having grown up with a dog, I never know if what I'm doing is ok.

Those big Cavalier eyes are hard to resist and I'm a complete pushover. I am being more careful about feeding her people food in between meals. If she hasn't eaten her dog food, I don't give her anything at all (except water of course) until the next meal. I've been leaving the food down for about a half hour then removing it. If she eats all of her food, I give her a few peas or a couple baby carrots as a treat. I've also reduced the amount of food I give her at each meal. I was giving her about 3/4 cup per meal but I've cut that down to 1/2 cup. I've been giving her dry food in the AM and mix in a little canned in the PM. She has actually been eating all her food at each meal for the last couple days. When this bag of food is nearing completion I'm going to phase in an adult food. She's on Kirkland Supreme for Puppies and I'm going to try switching her to Natural Balance or California Natural.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it's all going well now, well done
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vshenoy View Post
    Thanks for all the input! It is very helpful seeing how other people feed their dogs. Never having grown up with a dog, I never know if what I'm doing is ok.

Those big Cavalier eyes are hard to resist and I'm a complete pushover. I am being more careful about feeding her people food in between meals. If she hasn't eaten her dog food, I don't give her anything at all (except water of course) until the next meal. I've been leaving the food down for about a half hour then removing it. If she eats all of her food, I give her a few peas or a couple baby carrots as a treat. I've also reduced the amount of food I give her at each meal. I was giving her about 3/4 cup per meal but I've cut that down to 1/2 cup. I've been giving her dry food in the AM and mix in a little canned in the PM. She has actually been eating all her food at each meal for the last couple days. When this bag of food is nearing completion I'm going to phase in an adult food. She's on Kirkland Supreme for Puppies and I'm going to try switching her to Natural Balance or California Natural.
    I agree with you..Kirkland (Costco) food is not very good. My ex-intern's German Shepherd was a victim of the food recall. The dog past away due to kidney failure. The poor girl cried at work all day! I know you will do perfect as you are putting so much thoughts into your baby ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually I think Kirkland had a pretty good rating from quite a few places? -- the recalls really affected a wide range of good quality foods so 'quality' is relative in that sense; a lot had to do with geography and where certain places bought in ingredients from or problems with manufacturing but very good manufacturers were hit by the recalls, as the FDA list shows all too clearly. I understand Kirkland is made for Costco by one of the good manufacturers.

Oddly enough the issue of lifting food after 15 minutes has never arisen, I'd be hard pushed to find any after 15 seconds
    Ditto!! I don;t think food is in the bowl longer than 30 seconds, 1 minute at a stretch.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com