• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this normal or should I get checked?

Mrs Crilly

Hi all

My Ted is going to be 1 year old in November, he has some funny habits and I am not sure if I should be worried about them, I had never heard of SM until that BBC programme (I am a first time Cav owner) and now after watching the videos of the dogs with the condition I am starting to question his habits.

Ted likes to bit his back paws quite a bit, along with this he seems to nip at his leg at the same time, he also does scratch his neck. When I take him for a walk, at the start he seems to kick one of his back legs, it's like he is going to scratch but he doesn't. He has never winced or made any noise when I cuddle him around his neck head area.

Is this normal behaviour or is it something that I should get checked, do Vets offer screening for this condition, I don't care how much it costs I just want to know that Ted is not suffering from anything and is not in pain.

Those are fairly suspicious signs but there are always other possibilities. If you are in Ashbourne, I'd recommend booking an appointment with Fintan at Anicare in Blanchardstown -- www.anicare.com. They are very familiar with this condition and can talk to you about your concerns. They'd want to consider other possible issues but the air scratching generally indicates the possibility of SM and at his young age, you;'d definitely want to have this checked.

I have a lot of information on the condition at www.smcavalier.com

Thanks Karlin

When I saw those videos I thought hum something does not seem to be right, I always thought the thing with the paw was just something that Ted did. I am actually in tears even thinking about it, the thought of him being in pain and me not knowing about it or not being able to do anything is very upsetting.

Don't worry in advance of knowing whether you have anything to be concerned about. :flwr: If you can video the scratching that is useful too.

Hi thanks for your message, I have an apt booked with the vet on Monday, I have also taken a video of him biting at his feet and scratching, took him for a walk this morning and tried to get some vootage of the kicking motion he does with his leg but typical of course he didn't do it!

I hope you get reassuring news at the vet. Good luck. :xfngr:
Ted is lucky to have a mommy that is concerned and will make sure he is taken care of if he does have a problem.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. We are in the same boat as you but Dylan had inflamed ears then sore eyes due to allergies. The vet said we have to rule out other reasons for his scratching before we go to the neurologist otherwise they would just tell us to come back later. Well of course his scratching was only air scratching while on a walk so I knew he didn't have itchy ears. I am noticing more and more signs now though, scratching his head, licking his paws, wiping his face, yelping and smacking his lips. These are very recent developments, I didn't notice them before.

Really all they can do for now is pain killers. Make sure if your dog does need a MRI you go to one of the cheap places, I think all the addresses are on Karlin's SM site.

But, remember for now, you don't know what is wrong like me. We are all here to support you through this :hug:

It's heartbreaking I know, I have put off going to the vets, i should have gone mid week. I will go this week. Be brave and sort this out, they will just put your dog on pain killers I think if he has SM.

Back