Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bella had 6 teeth out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bella had 6 teeth out

Bella was at the vets on Friday having her teeth cleaned and had to have 6 teeth out . She is absolutely fine now, eating with no problems (although she never had any problems eating before either ).

The vet nurse said it sounded like a choir singing in her cage - from all the crying she did. Bella doesn't like to be left behind and also doesn't like to be without Molly. When I went to collect her the vet told me not to worry if Bella was a bit groggy and quiet. I thought in my head he doesn't know Bella at all, and of course she came bounding out to meet me like a lunatic

I'm glad to have her home. I gave herself and Molly a bath this afternoon so they're both curled up beside me all soft and smelling lovely
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Woah, you must have had a shock when you heard that needed doing!!
    Did she have a full anaesthetic?
    I hope the poor thing came through without too much trouble (apart from the vocal activity)
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

How's she doing now? Jasmine is booked in for her dental on Friday, hopefully hers won't be as drastic
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

poor bella i hope she is ok!
    Mom to freddie 1 yr old (blen), baxter 1 yr old (ruby) and molly 3yr old (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I know you are glad to have that done. I know my breeder talked about the importance of keeping cavalier's teeth brushed and getting them cleaned. She was pointing out how good dental health can lengthen the lifespan of cavs significantly. I am trying to get Bandit used to the toothbrush. he doesn't like it!

She actually told me she lost a cav to myocarditis caused by bacteria that entered the blood stream from a teeth cleaning. The dog's decline was rapid, and by the time they figured out the problem, it was too late. The nasty bacteria trapped in the plaque gets released during cleaning and then can get into the blood stream and affect the heart if the gums are nicked. Older cavs, more at risk for the dental problems and the cardiac problems are more vulnerable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ste View Post
    How's she doing now? Jasmine is booked in for her dental on Friday, hopefully hers won't be as drastic
    Let me know how she gets on, the owner daughter told me they were quiet bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh bless.I had Alfs checked last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Glad to hear Bella survived Molly must have been lost without her pal
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

The vet had said she may need 1 or 2 teeth out but I was quite shocked with 6. Ironically Molly had 6 teeth out a couple of months ago too.

Bella is doing just fine, she's her normal happy, enthusiastic self . Molly was enjoying all the attention she got while Bella was at the vet so I don't think she missed her too much, although she was only gone for about 6 hours

brotymo - They are rescue dogs so I had no control over their dental health.

Good luck to Jasmine on Friday, let us know how she gets on.
    Casshon

Molly (Blenheim) & Bella (Tri)
    Honey, Cassie & Tiki (Cavalier Angels)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if it sounded like I was pointing a finger! I wasn't accusing you of neglecting them. I was unaware of cavalier's poor teeth until I talked with my breeder this summer. I've never had to do the whole over-the-top dental care for a dog before, but I will now.