• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella had 6 teeth out

casshon

Bella was at the vets on Friday having her teeth cleaned and had to have 6 teeth out :eek:. She is absolutely fine now, eating with no problems (although she never had any problems eating before either ;)).

The vet nurse said it sounded like a choir singing in her cage - from all the crying she did. Bella doesn't like to be left behind and also doesn't like to be without Molly. When I went to collect her the vet told me not to worry if Bella was a bit groggy and quiet. I thought in my head he doesn't know Bella at all, and of course she came bounding out to meet me like a lunatic :jump:

I'm glad to have her home. I gave herself and Molly a bath this afternoon so they're both curled up beside me all soft and smelling lovely :lotsaluv:

:eek: Woah, you must have had a shock when you heard that needed doing!!
Did she have a full anaesthetic?
I hope the poor thing came through without too much trouble (apart from the vocal activity):)
Sins

How's she doing now? Jasmine is booked in for her dental on Friday, hopefully hers won't be as drastic :eek:

Hi, I know you are glad to have that done. I know my breeder talked about the importance of keeping cavalier's teeth brushed and getting them cleaned. She was pointing out how good dental health can lengthen the lifespan of cavs significantly. I am trying to get Bandit used to the toothbrush. he doesn't like it!

She actually told me she lost a cav to myocarditis caused by bacteria that entered the blood stream from a teeth cleaning. The dog's decline was rapid, and by the time they figured out the problem, it was too late. The nasty bacteria trapped in the plaque gets released during cleaning and then can get into the blood stream and affect the heart if the gums are nicked. Older cavs, more at risk for the dental problems and the cardiac problems are more vulnerable.

The vet had said she may need 1 or 2 teeth out but I was quite shocked with 6. Ironically Molly had 6 teeth out a couple of months ago too.

Bella is doing just fine, she's her normal happy, enthusiastic self :). Molly was enjoying all the attention she got while Bella was at the vet so I don't think she missed her too much, although she was only gone for about 6 hours ;)

brotymo - They are rescue dogs so I had no control over their dental health.

Good luck to Jasmine on Friday, let us know how she gets on.

Sorry if it sounded like I was pointing a finger! I wasn't accusing you of neglecting them. I was unaware of cavalier's poor teeth until I talked with my breeder this summer. I've never had to do the whole over-the-top dental care for a dog before, but I will now. ;)

My dog had 12 teeth out last year . . . they were bad when we got him and in the end we gave up trying to improve the condition of them with a toothbrush alone and he went to the vets for a clean under GA . . .

My hubby was horrified when he realised just how many teeth had gone :(:(:(

Is this kind of teeth issue common in Cavs then ???

Gosh I'm worried now. Dora is going in for a spay in just over a months time and the vet said she has the teeth of a 7 year old. He's going to clean them when she's under anaesthetic. She's only 2 :( I dread to think how they got so bad (Dora is a rescue)

Don't be too worried Cecily. I was really shocked when they told me Molly had 6 out but the vet said dogs have 42 teeth so losing some is not too big of a deal.

I'm glad that both my girls have nice fresh breath and pearly whites now :).

Good luck to Dora for her op :lotsaluv:

Really? 42? I didn't know that actually.
Hopefully it won't be too traumatic for her. She's such a pet.
Although she does like to get up close and personal, so It'll be nice to improve the breath!
Glad your pair are the better for it :)

Back