Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal or should I get checked?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this normal or should I get checked?

Hi all

My Ted is going to be 1 year old in November, he has some funny habits and I am not sure if I should be worried about them, I had never heard of SM until that BBC programme (I am a first time Cav owner) and now after watching the videos of the dogs with the condition I am starting to question his habits.

Ted likes to bit his back paws quite a bit, along with this he seems to nip at his leg at the same time, he also does scratch his neck. When I take him for a walk, at the start he seems to kick one of his back legs, it's like he is going to scratch but he doesn't. He has never winced or made any noise when I cuddle him around his neck head area.

Is this normal behaviour or is it something that I should get checked, do Vets offer screening for this condition, I don't care how much it costs I just want to know that Ted is not suffering from anything and is not in pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Those are fairly suspicious signs but there are always other possibilities. If you are in Ashbourne, I'd recommend booking an appointment with Fintan at Anicare in Blanchardstown -- www.anicare.com. They are very familiar with this condition and can talk to you about your concerns. They'd want to consider other possible issues but the air scratching generally indicates the possibility of SM and at his young age, you;'d definitely want to have this checked.

I have a lot of information on the condition at www.smcavalier.com
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin

When I saw those videos I thought hum something does not seem to be right, I always thought the thing with the paw was just something that Ted did. I am actually in tears even thinking about it, the thought of him being in pain and me not knowing about it or not being able to do anything is very upsetting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't worry in advance of knowing whether you have anything to be concerned about. If you can video the scratching that is useful too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    Don't worry in advance of knowing whether you have anything to be concerned about. If you can video the scratching that is useful too.
    Thanks Karlin I will take some videos for the vet.

Post Thanks / Like

Mrs Crilly, Hope Ted is ok

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for your message, I have an apt booked with the vet on Monday, I have also taken a video of him biting at his feet and scratching, took him for a walk this morning and tried to get some vootage of the kicking motion he does with his leg but typical of course he didn't do it!

Post Thanks / Like

good look with ur appointment!
    Mom to freddie 1 yr old (blen), baxter 1 yr old (ruby) and molly 3yr old (tri)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mrs Crilly, I really hope that all goes well with Ted's vet appointment. to you at the moment.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you get reassuring news at the vet. Good luck.
    Ted is lucky to have a mommy that is concerned and will make sure he is taken care of if he does have a problem.