• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We're going full on raw!

Dublin

Ive been adding raw meat to the sparksters diet for 2 weeks now, since we got back from honeymoon & :)xfngr:) we've had no tummy upsets so we're going for it full on now.

Cass is not going to be having too much chicken as last time we were feeding raw I had to give up as she was getting a manky coat that lasted a couple of months so after advice we're going a differant way with her but as for Sparks he seems happy so far to eat everything ive given him with no adverse reactions so :xfngr: we do well with this!

Congrats on making the switch, mine have always been fed raw and as long as it continues to go as well as it has :)xfngr:) I will always feed that way. Their coats are silky and shiny, teeth clean, poos small and very little odor, and they are both a healthy weight. If Cass can't have raw chicken maybe she would do better on raw lamb, beef, duck or turkey? Just a thought...

Are you using a balanced diet based on expert advice (eg one of the key books in this area?) You cannot just feed raw meat. If whatever you were feeding caused coat problems that suggests the problem was a fairly severe nutritional deficiency overall with the diet, not just a meat type. The only reason a meat type would cause a problem would perhaps be if the dog has some level of food intolerance. Keep in mind as well that a lot of raw feeders do not feed raw to puppies or elderly dogs because of their weaker immune systems. Some do but some do not. Just be aware of the big picture on hygiene and nutrition and risk. This is true for any dietary decision but there are larger implications in feeding raw (eg possible risks to family from handling raw daily, and dogs pooping increased levels of salmonella as a result, a consistent research finding) and because there are no commercially prepared raw diets available in Ireland you must be absolutely certain you are feeding something nutritionally complete. Meat alone is not nutritionally complete for dogs.

Thanks Karlin, yes I am going to be giving them a balanced diet & not just meat.

We're going for a BARF style diet which combines juiced veggies as well as the meat & bones.

Back