• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried...anyone had this happen?

brotymo

Hi, everyone. I just got in from running errands for a couple of hours and Bandit's stomach is making the most unbelievable noises. It wasn't doing this before I left. It is squeaking (yes, literally), gurgling and growling. All of this so loud that it is startling Bandit. I have found it hard to believe a sound this loud could originate from a stomach so small! He will jerk his head around at the sound and look puzzled. He is acting fine except he did refuse his favorite treats that I use for training. (which is pretty significant since he LOVES them). He is playful, alert and seems to have his normal energy. His poop this morning was normal consistency.

I did start slowly switching from Canidae dog food to Eagle Pack Holistic Select Lamb and Rice, but he's only had a small amount of the new food for the last 2 days mixed with the old Canidae he has been eating.

Anyone have this happen? Should I just observe for now?

Not sure but I'd put down a lot of old newspapers on the floor:eek:,
usually a rumlbe like that might indicate gas and that usually means jet propulsion at the far end! If he has a tummy bug then he needs to go to vet asap as he's very young.
Sins

I'm thinking I might head on to the vet. His stomach sounds unbelievable. I can feel the little thing vibrating when I put my hand on his tummy. :eek: Sometimes you can even see it moving! I have class for 5 hours tomorrow, so if I wait and he has a bad night, I wouldn't be able to take him until about 3 p.m or I'd have to skip my classes (not good when the classes only meet 2 days a week.).

When Jaspers stomach as been out of sorts in the past, it makes a kind of squeaking nose also, and grumbling. I can even see his stomach going in.
He have had antibiotics for it, but the last time his stomach was out of sorts, (March) the vet give him a course of probiotics, I was unsure at first but I think they were excellent. :xfngr: his has been great since.
Hope Bandit's stomach settles soon:)

The grumbling alone isn't necessarily an issue -- but...

It's a good idea to at least call your vet and get advice on this -- sometimes it may just be something they ate (when mine are grumbly like that, I give them a dog biscuit -- just eating something often settles it right away) but can mean something is upsetting the stomach, gastroenteritis, diarrhea on up to something quite serious like a blockage. That's why I'd get vet advice as they can ask you some questions and then give you advice on whether he needs to go it.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advise.

Well, I called the vet and they said to come in. We just got back.
Nothing showed up in the fecal, but they gave him an injection of anti-nausea meds since he is refusing to eat anything, 3 different antibiotics (amoxicillin, metronidazole, and something in a shot), and I/D canned food.
They said it might be the diet change, or it could be he has gotten something like salmonella. They wanted to do a shotgun approach since he is so little. So...we go back to straight Canidae dog food and see if it straightens out. If I introduce the Eagle Pack once he is back to normal and it happens again, then I have to find a new food. Unfortunately, I can't stick with Canidae b/c they changed formulas and I don't like all the things I am hearing about it.

After getting home, he had a bowel movement which started out normal and then turned to what looked like yellow mucus. :grnyuk: (sorry if you were eating just then)
He is curled up asleep right now, and I don't hear tummy sounds at the present.

Poor fella, sounds like you did the right thing taking him to the vet so quickly, he'll soon be feeling much better I sure, sending Bandit :luv:.

Don't know if this helps, but Rosie's tummy used to make really loud squeaking noises if she hadn't eaten for a while. The first time it happened, the noise was sooooo loud I thought there was a cat outside!

It happened a few times when she was a picky eater and wouldn't eat her dinner. Usually around 3am she would be running around whining and wanting to go out - as she sleeps on the bed with me, it was a nightmare. I would let her out and she would eat some grass, come in 10 minutes later and go back to sleep. Her tummy would still be squeaking, but not as loudly!

One time she didn't eat her breakfast, so when I came home from work, she went straight out to eat grass as her tummy was squeaking. Ten minutes later, she pooped and it started off normal, then finished off yellowy sort of mucus.

Once I realised it was because she wasn't eating, I made sure she ate her dinner every night, which was a pain because she then expected me to play with her at dinner time :cool:

Fortunately, she doesn't have this problem now as three months ago, after her dental, I changed her on to Butchers Tripe Mix which is a canned food (boy does she love it and almost chews off my arm to get at it and the fussy eating has totally disappeared!!) and she gets a small handful of Royal Canin No 27 about 9pm, so she has something in her tummy before bed time. Unless I forget to give her her supper (which is hard to do when she sits by her bowl giving me the sad eyes look!), I have not had this problem since.

I put the squeaking down to her being hungry - I suppose it's like us being hungry and our tummies rumbling. In fact, yesterday I was on the computer and Rosie was lying next to me and I could hear loud squeaking of a rumbling tummy and I thought it was Rosie when I realised it was ME!!!

Hope Bandit is feeling better soon.

After a long, deep sleep this afternoon, Bandit is feeling much better, it seems. After his diarrhea today, the gurgling stopped, he napped very soundly and woke ready to rock and roll. I fed him some I/D the vet gave us and he is acting like he feels fine. Hopefully no more problems with the tummy. I will stick with Canidae for 4 or 5 days and then try a small amount of the Eagle Pack again.

Back