• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A horrible noise when he gets excited??

Natalie1303

Hello All,

I am new on this site but think it's great for Cavalier lovers. I have a 1 yr old cav called Henry who is lovely in every way - the only thing that worries me is that for the past few months - when he gets excited (ie when i get in from work or when someone fusses him) he makes this horrendous noise - it is almost like a choking noise but he stands up and his whole body is pushed backwards??
It's really hard to explain but if anyone's dog has done it they'll know what I mean!!
Has anyone else seen this??
Thanks
Natalie

Hello All,

I am new on this site but think it's great for Cavalier lovers. I have a 1 yr old cav called Henry who is lovely in every way - the only thing that worries me is that for the past few months - when he gets excited (ie when i get in from work or when someone fusses him) he makes this horrendous noise - it is almost like a choking noise but he stands up and his whole body is pushed backwards??
It's really hard to explain but if anyone's dog has done it they'll know what I mean!!
Has anyone else seen this??
Thanks
Natalie
Hi Natalie welcome. Cavaliers often make this noise when they get excited, what you need to do is hold Henry's muzzle gently of course with the whole of your hand and push his muzzle downwards, it usually stops after about a minute or so. My vet says it is do with the soft palate but nothing to get alarmed over, but of course if you are worried pop Henry to the vet just to check him over.

Reverse Sneezing?

How long does it go on for? Is it just one big snort or is he "choking" for a few seconds (looks like he is trying to catch his breath?)?

If it is longer that just one he might be reverse sneezing - plenty of dogs do this when they get excited (and sometimes when they eat/drink too fast). Nothing to worry about - as HollyDolly said, just push their muzzle down and this should help (or leave them to get over it themselves). It doesn't harm them and it looks (and sounds) much worse than it is.

Mine both do this, and I think they sound like little piggies...I hold their noses down too and it seems to help.

Yes Louis has done it ever since we got him - we call it 'pigletting'!!!

Its nothing to panic about - its to do with elongation of the soft palate apparently, as has already been said :p

The noise can be quite frightening, but its really nothing to worry about. Just follow the advice above. I once had a b/t who made an awful noise when she did this - she lived to 14, so you see it really does no harm.

Yes Louis has done it ever since we got him - we call it 'pigletting'!!!

Its nothing to panic about - its to do with elongation of the soft palate apparently, as has already been said :p

thats a good name for it LOL

all of mine do it

Back