• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please!

Karenw

Hello

I'm new to this forum and actually own a Labrador (hope you won't remove me!!).

I am wanting to add a rescue cavalier king charles spaniel bitch to our family. We have the most loving young lab already but we would like to add a smaller dog to our family. I have chosen Cavaliers because my friend has one and they have the most loving natures and are just little poppets really! I have 2 children aged 6 & 7 who have grown up with dogs and respect them so they wouldn't be a problem. I have seen one advertised locally in the paper but would prefer to go through a rescue who solely has the dogs best interests at heart. Sorry to waffle...can anyone see a problem with a Cavalier living with a Lab? THanks Karen :rah:

I have a Chow-Chow/Border Collie mix that is my cavalier's best friend! She weighs 70 lbs, and Bella weighs 20, but they play like crazy. It all depends on your labs personality and tolerance of other pets. Good luck!

Hi Karen,
I have two energetic shelties living with three cavaliers, they get on just fine. The sheties are obedience and agility dogs and the Cavaliers enjoy this as well. They can play with other dogs fine but I would watch and supervise to be safe with bigger dogs as I always do, a lab is a heavy dog and a blow, roll or a knock if only in fun and play could hurt.

Please do some research on the health of Cavaliers first, (MVD and SM) better to be prepared than regret it later. Other than that there are many rescue centres around that take in Cavaliers other than the main Cavalier Club. If you want to PM I can give you regional numbers for club rescue co-ordinators. Let me know your area.
I hope you find a rescue soon though, and yes your friend is right..they are totally adorable companions :)

Alison.

My parents have a large labrador and a(large!) rescue cavalier. They're a great combination and when our little lady goes to visit they get on exceptionally well too. Aas long as both are neutered there shouldn't be a problem.
Sins

Shouldn't be a problem, but I would monitor carefully to make sure your lab doesn't play too rough.
Here are some photos of the situation at my house!

All of these photos are of our cav. Pixie, who died in an accident this summer :(, but now we have 17 week old Bandit.

KidsNov2007011crop.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_5116a.jpg

Ahhhhh

Thanks everyone and wow what lovely dogs you all have....I'm green with envy and lots of you have more than 2 dogs ...... well that's got me thinking... maybe 3 or 4! Well I'll start with 2 and see how we get on!

It's good to get advice from owners so thanks for your time - yes I've done loads of research cos that Pedigree Dogs Exposed programme really shocked me.

I will contact a few rescues and get the process going .

I will keep you all updated and post some pics

Thanks again:lotsaluv:

Karen

Hello

I'm new to this forum and actually own a Labrador (hope you won't remove me!!).

I am wanting to add a rescue cavalier king charles spaniel bitch to our family. We have the most loving young lab already but we would like to add a smaller dog to our family. I have chosen Cavaliers because my friend has one and they have the most loving natures and are just little poppets really! I have 2 children aged 6 & 7 who have grown up with dogs and respect them so they wouldn't be a problem. I have seen one advertised locally in the paper but would prefer to go through a rescue who solely has the dogs best interests at heart. Sorry to waffle...can anyone see a problem with a Cavalier living with a Lab? THanks Karen :rah:

If the rescue does well with larger dogs, I wouldn't have an issue with it. My daughter has 2 cats, 2 cavaliers and a lab. They get along fine and always have.

Back