Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to firm up those poops?

Post Thanks / Like

Cool How to firm up those poops?

Okay, so Murphy has a worsening problem with his anal glands. He used to get them done every 6 months, but now needs them done every 4 weeks.

He is fed RC Mini twice a day, roughly once a week one meal is supplemented with a foil of wet food, and twice a month he gets a small amount fish.

But the vet says his glands fill up because his poo isn't firm enough, some days its ok but others its soft, not runny but soft. He suggested a tablespoon of bran to firm them up.

Does anyone do this? Or have any other ideas about firming up poo?

Post Thanks / Like

Try Arden Grange.I always had Daisy on that but she prefered the RC mini and she wasn't long on the RC when the anal gland problem happened.Arden grange produces small dark very firm poopages!
    http://www.ardengrange.com/
    It's also hypo allergenic and is Gluten free,dairy free and soya free.
    It's also very well priced for a premium food.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Thats just it Murphy goes crazy for his RC, he dances for it at every meal. He's never done this for any other brand of food, he used to be quite picky too, before his RC.

The Arden Premium seems quite high in protein, or is that just me

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the premium would be for working dogs I expect.Daisy eats the salmon and the mini lamb and rice.
    My only real complaint with Arden Grange is the size of the kibble.It's bigger than the RC mini and can be a bit of an effort for a small dog.However she didn't gain excess weight on it and she was raised on AG from a pup.Her breeder used it for long haired chihuahuas too and they looked in mint condition.
    You could always add a tablespoon of bran and use your RC mini as normal.I think most pharmacies would have it as it's hard to find in supermarkets.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I just started with Prozyme and an acidophilus/probiotic tab which seemed to have helped firm the pooh up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, I get bran from Holland and Barrett health food shops. A bag lasts for quite a while, I add a generous teaspoonful to every meal. I think Phoebe will always need to have her glands emptied pretty frequently and it doesn't halp that she has a dodgy tummy and is prone to colitis. I think the bran helps firm up her poops a bit though. Last time she had her glands emptied, the vet mentioned the possibility of removal of the glands, but to date, she has never had them become infected and surgery is something I would only entertain in the future as an absolute last resort.
    Hope you get things sorted out with Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

Armani has had the mushy poos yesterday and some today. In fact yesterday, Dad apparently wasn't paying attention and Armani poo'd in our bedroom!
    So I started giving him a tsp of pumpkin. I'm hoping it will firm it up. We've never had this problem before. I gave him a liver treat which he never had before, so maybe that was the cause.
    my fingers that it clears up before we go visit my daughter & family.
    Idette along w/Armani (Tri) & Tracer - (MS), Goldie & Blackie - kitties

Post Thanks / Like

My Jack russell Cass used to have the same problem - at worst she was having her anal glands emptied every 5-6 weeks!

I bought her nutrifyber from the vets & that helped an awfull lot - I then changed her food to naturediet & the problem was much better, she now hasn't had her glands emptied for 2 years (touch wood) - she also woud get a nice raw bone every few weeks which I think helped.

Ive recently changed her diet to raw & am hoping that the problem wont start again!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firm Poo

I had this problem with one of my dogs (there was even talk of having them removed ) and I was told the same as you "bran". I tried All Bran breakfast cereal and it made the poos less firm (bit too much fiber!) so I tried Shredded Wheat breakfast cereal and it works! I feed all my dogs Royal Canin once a day and they also get a Shredded Wheat biscuit every morning (the original ones) but you could give a few of the bitsize ones too. My dogs love them (even though they are so tasteless) and poos are now firm so no more anal gland problems! I really recommend trying it (it may take their digestive system a little while to get used to but stick with it and it but it really works!).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions

Phoebe, our vet also mentioned surgery, but I'm not considering it, I feel I would do better to try and manage the problem. I would worry incase he had any problems after surgery like this.