• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to firm up those poops?

murphy's mum

Okay, so Murphy has a worsening problem with his anal glands. He used to get them done every 6 months, but now needs them done every 4 weeks.

He is fed RC Mini twice a day, roughly once a week one meal is supplemented with a foil of wet food, and twice a month he gets a small amount fish.

But the vet says his glands fill up because his poo isn't firm enough, some days its ok but others its soft, not runny but soft. He suggested a tablespoon of bran to firm them up.

Does anyone do this? Or have any other ideas about firming up poo?

Try Arden Grange.I always had Daisy on that but she prefered the RC mini and she wasn't long on the RC when the anal gland problem happened.Arden grange produces small dark very firm poopages!
http://www.ardengrange.com/
It's also hypo allergenic and is Gluten free,dairy free and soya free.
It's also very well priced for a premium food.
Sins

Thats just it Murphy goes crazy for his RC, he dances for it at every meal:D. He's never done this for any other brand of food, he used to be quite picky too, before his RC.

The Arden Premium seems quite high in protein, or is that just meicon_nwunsure

Yeah, the premium would be for working dogs I expect.Daisy eats the salmon and the mini lamb and rice.
My only real complaint with Arden Grange is the size of the kibble.It's bigger than the RC mini and can be a bit of an effort for a small dog.However she didn't gain excess weight on it and she was raised on AG from a pup.Her breeder used it for long haired chihuahuas too and they looked in mint condition.
You could always add a tablespoon of bran and use your RC mini as normal.I think most pharmacies would have it as it's hard to find in supermarkets.
Sins

Hi there, I get bran from Holland and Barrett health food shops. A bag lasts for quite a while, I add a generous teaspoonful to every meal. I think Phoebe will always need to have her glands emptied pretty frequently and it doesn't halp that she has a dodgy tummy and is prone to colitis. I think the bran helps firm up her poops a bit though. Last time she had her glands emptied, the vet mentioned the possibility of removal of the glands, but to date, she has never had them become infected and surgery is something I would only entertain in the future as an absolute last resort.
Hope you get things sorted out with Murphy:)

Armani has had the mushy poos yesterday and some today. In fact yesterday, Dad apparently wasn't paying attention and Armani poo'd in our bedroom! :eek::eek:
So I started giving him a tsp of pumpkin. I'm hoping it will firm it up. We've never had this problem before. I gave him a liver treat which he never had before, so maybe that was the cause. :confused:
:xfngr: my fingers that it clears up before we go visit my daughter & family.

My Jack russell Cass used to have the same problem - at worst she was having her anal glands emptied every 5-6 weeks!

I bought her nutrifyber from the vets & that helped an awfull lot - I then changed her food to naturediet & the problem was much better, she now hasn't had her glands emptied for 2 years (touch wood) - she also woud get a nice raw bone every few weeks which I think helped.

Ive recently changed her diet to raw & am hoping that the problem wont start again!

Firm Poo

I had this problem with one of my dogs (there was even talk of having them removed :eek:) and I was told the same as you "bran". I tried All Bran breakfast cereal and it made the poos less firm (bit too much fiber!) so I tried Shredded Wheat breakfast cereal and it works! I feed all my dogs Royal Canin once a day and they also get a Shredded Wheat biscuit every morning (the original ones) but you could give a few of the bitsize ones too. My dogs love them (even though they are so tasteless) and poos are now firm so no more anal gland problems! I really recommend trying it (it may take their digestive system a little while to get used to but stick with it and it but it really works!). (y)

Thanks for the suggestions:)

Phoebe, our vet also mentioned surgery, but I'm not considering it, I feel I would do better to try and manage the problem. I would worry incase he had any problems after surgery like this.

Hi Murphy's mum, I remember someone on this forum mentioning removal of the glands and the feedback from others (it may have been
Karlin?) suggested that it wasn't always terribly successful, I can't quite remember why though.
Phoebe would have to have a great deal of trouble before I would entertain surgery, so I know exactly what you mean. Providing she's not developing infections, she's comfortable and we can manage things with regular vet visits then I would prefer to leave well alone.
I would definitely give the bran a try, it's certainly never upset Phoebe's tum in any way and I do think it firms things up a bit :)

Oh and by the way, I've tried her with things that the vet prescribed to firm up her poop and they didn't work as well as the bran, so don't waste your money!! :)

Hi

I bought a bag of Natural Wheat Bran from Holland and Barrett this morning is this the right one and if so how much do i give them .

Tks

Back