• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dental health - Toothpaste?

pippa

Hi everyone,

Anyone know what is the best toothpaste to use on Cavaliers.
The one I am using at the moment doesn't seem up to much although it was expensive enough.

Gus has a problem with his saliva and he has to have his teeth cleaned in the vets every year or so. He just had them done last week and they are sparkling :) so I would like to keep them that way :xfngr:.

I've tried the usual pet store brands and logic gel ( which was very expensive,but didn't really work).

Any suggestions?

Teeth

My last Cavalier (now at the rainbow bridge) had teeth issues as she got older and I had to get the cleaned quite often. My vet told me to use baby or young childrens toothpaste because it is designed to be swallowed and is fine for their belly. I used it for approx a year before she died, we had no problems and it kept her teeth pearly white :D

Hi

I should have thought about baby toothpaste the doggy variety is not that cheap ,i have used logic-gel since the girls were pups but its hard to say if its had any effect and I also give them a small logic-gel chew and have just started them on plaque off to see if that helps ,not that they have any problems anyway its all just preventive medicine , i think.

I have just changed insurance companies from Pet Pals to Pet Plan and one of the conditions is an annual dental check up can somebody pls advise what this entails i presume its just a visual inspection and not a general anesthetic unless something needs to be done.

I don't know about baby toothpaste but would imagine young childrens toothpaste would have fluoride in it which I think that's toxic to dogs :confused:

I used Logic Oral Hygiene Gel or Virbac Enzymatic toothpaste.

Hi

I am getting old it suddenly clicked with me babys dont have any teeth so i presume i would have to look for a long time for toothpaste . Pauline would you advise i stick with doggy toothpaste and my logic-gel .:confused:

I use doggy toothpaste and Logic too Brian. I would stick to that as I couldn't find anything on google.

Brian where do you get the logic Gel and chews...I used to have to order it from the vet and it was very expensive.

I don't know about baby toothpaste but would imagine young childrens toothpaste would have fluoride in it which I think that's toxic to dogs :confused:

I think the level in childrens toothpaste is higher than that in infant toothpaste - thus it can be swallowed without harm to the baby.

BrianM - nope, babies they don't have teeth but there are starter toothpastes for very young infants ;)

Thanks Pauline and Brian.

Pauline you are very good for looking for it for me, I have e-mailed them to see if they ship to southern Ireland.

I use Virbac toothpaste for Sally and it seems very good. We use it with a baby's toothbrush which is designed to be held by an adult. I bought this from VetUk sure it was about £7.

Back