• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel cough. :(

Alison_Leighfield

My girls are up to date with all their vacs including Kennel Cough however we havn't this time escaped an outbreak within our town. Most agility and obedience clubs have been closed but unfortunately three of my girls have presently got Kennel cough. Two Cavaliers and a Sheltie. All on meds from the vet, hopefully showing signs of improvement.

It isn't nice for them and it sounds and looks awful, I just hope that they never have it again.

Alison.

So sorry to hear your girls are unwell..sending hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery for them.

Sorry to hear that Alison. Sounds like you have a week or two of sleepless nights ahead of you.Hopefully it's just three that have it and they'll make a speedy recovery.
Sins

Deja vous!

Alison, we had the same problem in our house. I foster dogs that come directly from the pound and I had avoided a house plague until a month ago - all five picked it up. Coughing up goo and unhappy dogs all round! Just to warn you that some dogs keep coughing even after infection has gone away - but this isn't something to be worried about (unless it hasn't improved at all). My heart goes out to you, and the poor dogs (they can be so miserable with it :()

so sorry, I hope all your babies are well soon. I had a friend go through kennel cough recently with a Shepherd rescue. He, also, coughed long after the infection cleared up. You might experience the same.

Oh dear, I hope they all feel better soon. :flwr:

If the cough lingers too long they might need more antibiotics. That's what happened when Geordie had it long ago.

Hi Alison, how are the girls feeling today? Poor little things. I know nothing about kennel cough, I assume they must be very warn out and upset?

All doing well today, meds seem to be holding any further infections developing although one Cavalier has had a very rough dose of it :( now turning the corner and brighter today. There is nothing like the cough that goes with this, it is unmistakable.

Alison.

My two had it last week and as I didn’t know that you can carry the virus on your cloth. I went to visit my friend who got the sister and brother of my two cavaliers. Then our other friend dropped in who got five cavaliers and a litter of puppies at home. So slowly nearly every dog has come down with kennel cough. When I phoned the vet and talked to the vetnary nurse she reassured me that you can’t catch it from your cloth but when my friend talked to the vet he confirmed that it lives on your cloth for up to 2 hours. We all use the same vet and he said that he never has seen so much kennel cough. We were all worried for the pups and the vet gave my friend something to give to the pups straight away.

Sabby

It's a good reminder to keep up to date on kennel cough. You just have to youtube kennel cough if you're in any doubt. I was told it is an airborne virus that can travel up to a mile. We have a high population of dogs nearby with a boarding kennel/puppy broker in the next road to us so we have to be careful.

My gang all had it three weeks ago, a few days after getting Katie she started with it then all the rest came down with it. It was the foamy sick I found awful. They are all over it now. I got herbal tablets from Ainsworths in London and found them very good, stopped them coughing as much.My vet gave Kaite an antibiotic and the oldies but the rest just got on with it. Apparently it started in Scotland and is heading South according to the lady at Ainsworths.A friend had a litter two weeks old that caught it, they are doing fine bit snuffly but shows pups do get over it. Fingers crossed its all over with.
Hope yours a feeling better today Alison.

Advice was also given to keep affected dogs at home and to change foorwear if you have to go out, change again when you return. Not to let the infected dogs share each others food bowls. To keep away yourself from places where there may be large crowds of other dog owners as the virus can also be carried away from the place of infection.

So we are stopping in the house and garden until all signs have passed and they have had a check and clearance from the vet. All being fed on their own. Two so far haven't shown any signs.....I'm just watching.

Alison.

Sending lots of get well wishes to your girls Alison :hug::hug::hug:
Hope the meds are doing their job quickly and effectively.
Do you have to keep them indoors for a certain period of time or can you take them out as long as they are on meds? I have no experience of Kennel Cough and I wonder how long it takes before it's safe to allow the doggies out on walks again etc?

Give the girlies a big kiss from me :lotsaluv:

I am glad your crew are doing better Alison.

Hope the progress continues and they are back to themselves in no time. :flwr:

Cleaning

Alison, forgot to say that the infection can linger about the place for a while. I wash all the beds/blankets etc at a 95deg wash with biological washing powder and a bit of disinfectant (they are all now half the size they used to be!), bleach all floors, bottoms of shoes, bowls (and washed them out very well), counters and doors in the kitchen (where the dogs are for most of the day) and use Jayes fluid on all the concrete (and on any cough up in the grass) to kill it off. It's a pain in the bum, but better than another dog getting it from the house!

I currently have a pup who has a very bad dose (he entered the house as the others were getting over it) and he is miserable with it. His whole body shakes when he coughs and he keeps giving me "the eyes" :(

Great to hear they are feeling better (y)

Thanks for the good advice lorebringer....:)

I'm cleaning with Jeyes outside already...doing the wood floors downstairs daily and have a stair gate installed to stop them going up the stairs...changing towels in dog beds daily as well.
Never gave the kitchen units/doors a thought...thanks for that.

Alison.

All doing very well today Claire, the coughing is dying down and they seem much brighter...all very much on the mend.

My washing line looks very cute today with 101 teddies, blankets, towels and toys all hanging by their ears after a good hot wash through the machine! :)

Alison.

Back