Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kennel cough. :(

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good reminder to keep up to date on kennel cough. You just have to youtube kennel cough if you're in any doubt. I was told it is an airborne virus that can travel up to a mile. We have a high population of dogs nearby with a boarding kennel/puppy broker in the next road to us so we have to be careful.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

My gang all had it three weeks ago, a few days after getting Katie she started with it then all the rest came down with it. It was the foamy sick I found awful. They are all over it now. I got herbal tablets from Ainsworths in London and found them very good, stopped them coughing as much.My vet gave Kaite an antibiotic and the oldies but the rest just got on with it. Apparently it started in Scotland and is heading South according to the lady at Ainsworths.A friend had a litter two weeks old that caught it, they are doing fine bit snuffly but shows pups do get over it. Fingers crossed its all over with.
    Hope yours a feeling better today Alison.
    Karen and the gang

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs

Post Thanks / Like

Advice was also given to keep affected dogs at home and to change foorwear if you have to go out, change again when you return. Not to let the infected dogs share each others food bowls. To keep away yourself from places where there may be large crowds of other dog owners as the virus can also be carried away from the place of infection.

So we are stopping in the house and garden until all signs have passed and they have had a check and clearance from the vet. All being fed on their own. Two so far haven't shown any signs.....I'm just watching.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

Sending lots of get well wishes to your girls Alison
    Hope the meds are doing their job quickly and effectively.
    Do you have to keep them indoors for a certain period of time or can you take them out as long as they are on meds? I have no experience of Kennel Cough and I wonder how long it takes before it's safe to allow the doggies out on walks again etc?

Give the girlies a big kiss from me
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am glad your crew are doing better Alison.

Hope the progress continues and they are back to themselves in no time.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning

Alison, forgot to say that the infection can linger about the place for a while. I wash all the beds/blankets etc at a 95deg wash with biological washing powder and a bit of disinfectant (they are all now half the size they used to be!), bleach all floors, bottoms of shoes, bowls (and washed them out very well), counters and doors in the kitchen (where the dogs are for most of the day) and use Jayes fluid on all the concrete (and on any cough up in the grass) to kill it off. It's a pain in the bum, but better than another dog getting it from the house!

I currently have a pup who has a very bad dose (he entered the house as the others were getting over it) and he is miserable with it. His whole body shakes when he coughs and he keeps giving me "the eyes"

Great to hear they are feeling better

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the good advice lorebringer....

I'm cleaning with Jeyes outside already...doing the wood floors downstairs daily and have a stair gate installed to stop them going up the stairs...changing towels in dog beds daily as well.
    Never gave the kitchen units/doors a thought...thanks for that.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

aw thats awful!

I must say though youdogs are fabulous!!!
    Chili, ruby female 07
    Oscar, black and tan male 08

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

How are the girls doing Alison? Hope each day brings greater improvement
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

All doing very well today Claire, the coughing is dying down and they seem much brighter...all very much on the mend.

My washing line looks very cute today with 101 teddies, blankets, towels and toys all hanging by their ears after a good hot wash through the machine!

Alison.