• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My daughter, allergic to dogs?

As far as I know a blood test will only reveal that she has an allergy. A skin/prick test is more specific. Sorry to hear the news. Does your daughter live with you?

As far as I know a blood test will only reveal that she has an allergy. A skin/prick test is more specific. Sorry to hear the news. Does your daughter live with you?

That's what I thought but, when she was one year old, they said a skin test was too dangerous, her asthma was that bad. They only took a blood sample. I'll let you know on Thursday. Her asthma isn't as bad now so they should be able to do a skin test.

Hi, Pauline, this is from Webmd

Your doctor can do either a skin test or a blood test called a RAST (radioallergosorbent test) to find out if you have dog allergies. Even if you're pretty certain that you're allergic, testing is always a good idea. Some people who assume that they have dog allergies turn out not to have them. Instead, they're allergic to the pollen or mold that the dog is carrying in on its coat from outside.

I am highly allergic to cats (wheezing, eyes swelling, rhinitis, throat scratchy) and have seasonal allergies as well. My best friend and my in-laws unfortunately both have indoor cats. I take the 10 mg of Zyrtec at night (it actually does make me a bit drowsy), and I have noticed a HUGE difference when I'm around the cats. I had cats growing up, but they were outdoors, so I didn't even know I was allergic until I was older. I would definitely check with her doctor about allergy testing before starting her on a new med (especially since she has asthma), but I cannot see why it would be a problem for her to take it. My husband also has terrible allergies and is on Singulair, which has made a world of difference for him as well. Good luck!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. She has been ok on Neoclarityn. No scratching so we have found an answer to the problem but I still would like to know what the allergy is as I want to foster dogs.

I wonder if she should not take this pill when she has her blood or scratch test. I hope I remember to ask the GP.

My husband is allergic to all furry beings and when Hali joined us he immediately washed his hands after playing or holding her. We limit her to the areas without carpet& he took his allergy pills as needed. We've had her one year and now as long as he doesn't touch his eyes he is OK, no scratchy throat, swelling, blotches etc... I have read that pet owners can become desensitized to their own pet.

allergies are terrible! My daughter is allergic to cats and dogs, and of course we have both. Per doctors orders we keep the cat out of her room and bath the dogs once a month...the doctor wanted us to bath the dogs once a week but that became too much of a chore and we noticed once a month seemed okay for keeping down the pet dander. She is also on zyrtec. I have also noticed that she seems to be okay with our pets now but when we go to friends homes and plays with their animals she has symptoms. I keep up our home with the vacuum as well...we have thought about getting an air purifier for her room but her symptoms aren't severe enough. I feel grateful we are able to keep our pets inside still.

Oh yes, I forgot, Karlin also said about getting an air purifier. Can anyone recommend a good one please? Correction, a good cheap one:rolleyes:

Some good news

Turns out Antonia wore her mack to a ladies house how who had a cat:c*t:, Antonia didn't see the cat, but she sat in the cat's chair:sl*p: So the mack is out of her room I'll get that dry cleaned and we hope this is an end to it. Then I can get onto Cavalier Rescue near me:D

Oh, we went to the Dr today, before we found out about the cat. They were useless, as usual, not enough money in the pot. They would only test if it was life threatening. They said there was no blood test for allergies, it would just show an allergy was happening. The skin test is too vague they would test with grouped allergens. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for all your advice and concern.:thnx:

Edited to say: Oh I forgot they did say keep a diary and they would look into it again.

Last edited:
Pauline it must be such a relief Antonia's not allergic to dogs! Glad you found out what the prob was.
It's not definite but I forgot to say the Dr said it was possible to develop allergies suddenly but after 2 years with Dylan and friends dogs for longer, it's unlikely.

Back