• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rubbing body and putting paws in air

msunter

Hello All,

Rio has been displaying some unusual signs for the last 3 weeks or so that my family and I have begun to notice more and more. At first I thought it was me going a little crazy that he has been scratching more than usual around the neck area. Rio has just turned 2 in the last month and even when as a pup he never itched very much.

It starts off as an itch then he itches at the same spot for 5 minutes or so then he stops then a few minutes pass and he does it again. His left back leg always sits splayed out from his other legs and when you touch his pads on that foot its highly sensitive almost as if he finds it ticklish but does not flinch when his other pads are being looked touched. Very strange.

All the left side just before his left leg along his waist he flinches alot when stroking him even softly. He has started to look round at you when you run your hand along that side and puts his tounge out and makes an almost sucking noise his tounge slightly out as he makes the noise.

Even when brushing him down that side his leg starts to pound like Thumper the rabbit out of the film Bambi and he rolls on the floor alot like he is trying to clean his face?

The back left leg always has had its problems for sensitivity and we always thought it was a trapped nerve and our vets told us not to worry but now after watching the BBC programme about SM we are starting to think these strange behaviours could be somehow linked to SM and if not something else?

Do any of you with your Cavs ever have any strange behaviours such as this?

Worried Cav owner

5 minutes is a long time to be scratching. I think a trip to the vets would be wise. It's best to get it checked.

I definitely would check this further if your vet can find no cause for such excessive scratching and the sensitivity. If your vet is uncertain, see if you can get an appointment with a neurologist just for a clinical exam -- given what you describe a neurologist should be able to tell you if this is abnormal. Five minutes of scratching is a very long time. I have some videos of cavaliers with SM at www.smcavalier.com that might be helpful to view.

I would want that checked out. See a neaurologist for your peave of mind, your vet can send you. Can you take along a vidio clip of this activity when you go?

Alison.

Hello All,

Rio is being taken to the vets first thing tomorrow. This was the first appointment we could get as this is the only veterinarians office for 60 miles in our area.

We hope to get the answers to this incessant scratching as its really starting to worry us.

I just hope that we can get referred to a neurologist and that the vet doesn't see it as another chance to tell us there is nothing wrong with him.

We will keep you posted and let you know what happens.

Mel

Mel,
If the vet sees it as a chance to just tell you there is nothing wrong then please be strong and insist on seeing a Neurologist.
It is your dog and you are paying the bill, don't be pushed over. Tell the vet about SM and explain your concerns, surely he should listen to you then.

Alison.

Back