Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions please

Post Thanks / Like

Default opinions please

I have posted about my girl star who is 4 years old , she has a heart murmour and suspected sm, still waiting to get the mri done, anyway recently along with the scratching and rubbing herself on everything she has now started chewing and snapping at her rear end and rear legs, i have taken her to the vets incase she has got some sort of skin allergy but its clear, the vet cannot find any cause for this.... so now i am stumped on why she is doing this, she really goes to town on her self with it, it is so excessive. Has anyone got any ideas please, as she looks so uncomfortable and gets really out of breath and then starts coughing... but i think the coughing is prolly where she has like a furball in her throat from doing it...please has anyone got any ideas?? she has not got fleas, no raw patches etc, so just cant work this one out.

Many Thanks Loz n gang x

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it could be nerve sensations connected with the SM, one of mine chewed and nibbled her paws until they were very sore, and nibbled at her behind. It wasn't part of her normal washing and grooming routine it was frantic and like you say snappy, very different.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please get an MRI or at least see a neurologist for a clinical exam immediately-- these are all signs of real pain. She needs proper diagnosis of whatever she has and medications for pain relief and an informed decision taken on how best to treat her further. These are all things many SM dogs do including mine, so please take this seriously and get her the appropriate medical care as each day must be difficult for her with these kinds of symptoms.

You can get more information on SM here and a list of UK neurologists.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply, i will see which one is near us and get her done, i hate seeing her like this.

Loz x

Post Thanks / Like

Wimbledon London isn't far from you is it .....

Claire Rusbridge 0208 946 4228

someone i know booked a scan last Friday for Yesterday so not a long waiting list as such .
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Wimbledon London isn't far from you is it .....

Claire Rusbridge 0208 946 4228

someone i know booked a scan last Friday for Yesterday so not a long waiting list as such .
    Just phoned them, waiting for them to call me back, as i need to see if they can set up monthly payment scheme as i have now lost my job urgg bloody credit crunch. if that fails i am selling my photography studio kit plus camera ...but hopeing i dont have to as that is my source of income now

Thanks hun

Post Thanks / Like

well this is just disgusting, the vets will refere her for the mri, but no one is willing to offer us monthly direct debit scheme, you have to have the money upfront or your dog can suffer, i am so upset right now i thought these so called ppl cared about an animal suffering...clearly not, now i know its a business at the end of the day but i would of thought they would of accepted this rather than have a dog suffering.....arggggg we have her insured but it was on her records that this is suspected before i took out the insurance, reason for no insurance i always had enough money to cater for my dogs, and i have had a few insurances who have failed to pay out.

Right of to take photos of my studio items for sale to raise funds for my baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would hesitate to sell anything that could be used to generate income with today's economy going bad as it is right now. First and foremost you need to provide for yourself and her!

If your vet cannot find anything wrong with her, could he perhaps try prescribing the drugs that work on SM to see if she improves? She needs a drug for pain and one to lower her CSF pressure. There is a printable treatment plan on Karlin's SM website. Another thought is to get a neurology exam for her, and if SM is suspected, ask to try the drugs.

Also, the coughing could be related to her heart, so perhaps you could look on the cavalier club website for a low-cost heart screening.

Just some low cost ideas for now. When you're employed again, you could get the MRI.
    Last edited by Cathy Moon; 2nd October 2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added text
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    I would hesitate to sell anything that could be used to generate income with today's economy going bad as it is right now. First and foremost you need to provide for yourself and her!

If your vet cannot find anything wrong with her, could he perhaps try prescribing the drugs that work on SM to see if she improves? She needs a drug for pain and one to lower her CSF pressure. There is a printable treatment plan on Karlin's SM website. Another thought is to get a neurology exam for her, and if SM is suspected, ask to try the drugs.

Also, the coughing could be related to her heart, so perhaps you could look on the cavalier club website for a low-cost heart screening.

Just some low cost ideas for now. When you're employed again, you could get the MRI.
    Thanks hun, she is being heart scanned on the 26th of this month.. i have got an appointment to speak to the vets and i have told them i need to speak to someone who will listen and help and provide medication, he said the trouble is , it could be her heart that is causeing all these symptoms, so to wait until the heart scan, he said or get an mri done through them like planned otherwise if they give meds and it is not sm then he says it can cause more harm, but he is prepared to give pain meds.. going tomorrow morning with her for pain meds...just feel like i am hitting a brick wall, why tell me he thinks its sm and that she needs an mri only to tell me now it could be her heart that is causeing all this..my vets are good i have never had a problem with them, and i can see what he is saying about giving meds without knowing what it is thats going on. Just wish there was a way to get this sorted out once and for all, but at least she will be given something for the pain..just sad that now we have to wait until the 26th for the heart scan as its done on the low cost scheme thing in surrey.

If i can find a way before the end of the month then i will, i have even phoned the RSPCA wont reply what their solution was as i am gob smacked.

Thanks Loz n gang x

Post Thanks / Like

how much have they quoted for the scan ?
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want