• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

opinions please

Lozzy100

I have posted about my girl star who is 4 years old , she has a heart murmour and suspected sm, still waiting to get the mri done, anyway recently along with the scratching and rubbing herself on everything she has now started chewing and snapping at her rear end and rear legs, i have taken her to the vets incase she has got some sort of skin allergy but its clear, the vet cannot find any cause for this.... so now i am stumped on why she is doing this, she really goes to town on her self with it, it is so excessive. Has anyone got any ideas please, as she looks so uncomfortable and gets really out of breath and then starts coughing... but i think the coughing is prolly where she has like a furball in her throat from doing it...please has anyone got any ideas?? she has not got fleas, no raw patches etc, so just cant work this one out.

Many Thanks Loz n gang x

Perhaps it could be nerve sensations connected with the SM, one of mine chewed and nibbled her paws until they were very sore, and nibbled at her behind. It wasn't part of her normal washing and grooming routine it was frantic and like you say snappy, very different.

Alison.

Please get an MRI or at least see a neurologist for a clinical exam immediately-- these are all signs of real pain. She needs proper diagnosis of whatever she has and medications for pain relief and an informed decision taken on how best to treat her further. These are all things many SM dogs do including mine, so please take this seriously and get her the appropriate medical care as each day must be difficult for her with these kinds of symptoms.

You can get more information on SM here and a list of UK neurologists.

Thank you for your reply, i will see which one is near us and get her done, i hate seeing her like this.

Loz x

Wimbledon London isn't far from you is it .....

Claire Rusbridge 0208 946 4228

someone i know booked a scan last Friday for Yesterday so not a long waiting list as such .

Wimbledon London isn't far from you is it .....

Claire Rusbridge 0208 946 4228

someone i know booked a scan last Friday for Yesterday so not a long waiting list as such .

Just phoned them, waiting for them to call me back, as i need to see if they can set up monthly payment scheme as i have now lost my job urgg bloody credit crunch. if that fails i am selling my photography studio kit plus camera ...but hopeing i dont have to as that is my source of income now

Thanks hun

well this is just disgusting, the vets will refere her for the mri, but no one is willing to offer us monthly direct debit scheme, you have to have the money upfront or your dog can suffer, i am so upset right now i thought these so called ppl cared about an animal suffering...clearly not, now i know its a business at the end of the day but i would of thought they would of accepted this rather than have a dog suffering.....arggggg we have her insured but it was on her records that this is suspected before i took out the insurance, reason for no insurance i always had enough money to cater for my dogs, and i have had a few insurances who have failed to pay out.

Right of to take photos of my studio items for sale to raise funds for my baby

I would hesitate to sell anything that could be used to generate income with today's economy going bad as it is right now. :eek: First and foremost you need to provide for yourself and her!

If your vet cannot find anything wrong with her, could he perhaps try prescribing the drugs that work on SM to see if she improves? She needs a drug for pain and one to lower her CSF pressure. There is a printable treatment plan on Karlin's SM website. Another thought is to get a neurology exam for her, and if SM is suspected, ask to try the drugs.

Also, the coughing could be related to her heart, so perhaps you could look on the cavalier club website for a low-cost heart screening.

Just some low cost ideas for now. When you're employed again, you could get the MRI.

Last edited:
I would hesitate to sell anything that could be used to generate income with today's economy going bad as it is right now. :eek: First and foremost you need to provide for yourself and her!

If your vet cannot find anything wrong with her, could he perhaps try prescribing the drugs that work on SM to see if she improves? She needs a drug for pain and one to lower her CSF pressure. There is a printable treatment plan on Karlin's SM website. Another thought is to get a neurology exam for her, and if SM is suspected, ask to try the drugs.

Also, the coughing could be related to her heart, so perhaps you could look on the cavalier club website for a low-cost heart screening.

Just some low cost ideas for now. When you're employed again, you could get the MRI.

Thanks hun, she is being heart scanned on the 26th of this month..:) i have got an appointment to speak to the vets and i have told them i need to speak to someone who will listen and help and provide medication, he said the trouble is , it could be her heart that is causeing all these symptoms, so to wait until the heart scan, he said or get an mri done through them like planned otherwise if they give meds and it is not sm then he says it can cause more harm, but he is prepared to give pain meds.. going tomorrow morning with her for pain meds...just feel like i am hitting a brick wall, why tell me he thinks its sm and that she needs an mri only to tell me now it could be her heart that is causeing all this..my vets are good i have never had a problem with them, and i can see what he is saying about giving meds without knowing what it is thats going on. Just wish there was a way to get this sorted out once and for all, but at least she will be given something for the pain..just sad that now we have to wait until the 26th for the heart scan as its done on the low cost scheme thing in surrey.

If i can find a way before the end of the month then i will, i have even phoned the RSPCA wont reply what their solution was as i am gob smacked.

Thanks Loz n gang x

you have to have the money upfront or your dog can suffer,
I don't really think this is fair -- these places are business, not banks, and have no idea of anyone's ability to repay a costly service. The best solution is to go to a bank and ask for a loan as that is the place that considers your financial situation and lends money on a payback scheme -- I could not possibly run a business relying on people who might or might not pay me in the future. The dog's suffering is not due to a neurologist refusing to treat for free on the basis that they might eventually get paid, but the owner having made a conscious decision to own a dog despite potential problems and not having insurance, or insurance early enough, or the money to pay for treatment -- please do not try to shift the blame! If she has had these symptoms for years, and there was some suspicion already on her records, surely it would have been wise to be setting aside some money each month towards possible need for treatment later if you chose not to investigate this earlier?

There is also the issue that if you had insured the dog from the start you'd be covered -- which is your responsibility, not the vet's or the neurologist's. That is what insurance is for -- it doesn't work that you only get it after you think there might be problems otherwise the whole point of insurance wouldn't work. I've paid insurance for years on my dogs with no claims on the basis that I MIGHT need it -- not that I WILL need it. if people just sign up late and expect big cost problems to be covered, it is people like ME paying for people who have paid nothing into the scheme because until then they didn't think they needed insurance. :sl*p: Why should I pay for that?

Dogs do not come cheap -- I am sure as someone showing and breeding already, you had investigated the breed and responsibly read up on the probable costs of MVD alone in this breed when the incidence is so high and the treatment can be expensive? That is why unless someone has a large number of dogs (in which case I recommend taking the cost of a monthly premium for EACH dog and putting it into a rainy day illness account) I strongly suggest insurance from the day people get their dogs. the reason why is because of exactly the terrible situation you now find yourself in. But it is not the fault of vets -- you needed to make those decisions yourself from the start. SM and serious indications of its high incidence has been known about at least since 2003 as that is when I first read about it on the UK CKCS Club site and elsewhere. There's been info up on the main discussion boards for four years or more in the health sections and on many breeder websites. I simply do not understand how people cannot come across this issue with just a small amount of research into the breed.

Anyone who is breeding and showing MUST take responsibility to know about this condition and be prepared for the financial implications -- including considering their responsibility towards owners of puppies they breed that end up with serious health problems they didn't test breeding stock for. The surgery costs close to £5000 with the MRI -- to me that is the minimum one should be able to easily pay out of pocket if choosing not to take out insurance.

If you feel you cannot manage the full cost of an MRI then consider going to one of the low cost schemes just for the diagnoses and then proceed with medications. Just be aware surgery will not be an option, but if the financial situation is this tight, I don't think that would be one of your options anyway. You can work with a basic MRI diagnosis and a sympathetic vet and Clare Rusbridge's treatment information. All this information is available at www.smcavalier.com as are symtpoms lists, neurologists in your area, etc.

I would hope the vet could prescribe Gabapentin and Lasix at the very least for suspected SM. Other drugs like Rimadyl and Prednisone are harder on the dog's digestive system - at least that's what I've found with Geordie. Your dog may need a blood test before being given Gabapentin (and any heart meds, if needed), so they can keep an eye on her blood tests over time.

Sorry if I sound pushy, etc., but this has been my experience.:flwr:

OK first of all i am not shifting the blame here, i have ALWAYS paid for my dogs, MYSELF i did not expect to loose my job, i am doing all i can to get funds, and as for banks they are not lending at the moment ....you only have too see the news too see how many banks are struggling i am not on benefits i dont sit on my back side expecting ppl to pay for me etc, sorry but i take what you have said as an insult. Yes dogs are expensive, i have already stated that i am selling things to get the money..

inca i was told the mri is 300 pounds that includes the consultation etc.

Anyway i am off as i am now more livid.... i love my dogs and would never part with them nor would i carry on sitting and do nothing i have been waiting for a referel from the vets, then inca gave me numbers to london. I have already mentioned in my previous threads that i know they are a business etc so you have just stated what i already said.

OK first of all i am not shifting the blame here, i have ALWAYS paid for my dogs, MYSELF i did not expect to loose my job, i am doing all i can to get funds, and as for banks they are not lending at the moment ....you only have too see the news too see how many banks are struggling i am not on benefits i dont sit on my back side expecting ppl to pay for me etc, sorry but i take what you have said as an insult. Yes dogs are expensive, i have already stated that i am selling things to get the money..

I am so sorry you've lost your job. :( I know how it is, because the economy is terrible and we're down to one breadwinner in our family now. :( Hang in there, things will improve eventually. :hug: If a neurologist suspects that your dog has SM, I would think the medications could be prescribed without a MRI scan.

Totally agree, this comment was totally uncalled for. u are doing ur best what else can u do. At the moment everybody seems to be losing their job my oh is been layed of next week after 10 yrs service. Hang on in there girl hopefully things will improve, maybe as others have said try the meds see if they work.

what were you doing for a job ?

is there no chance of finding something soon

what were you doing for a job ?

is there no chance of finding something soon

I was working in the community looking after the elderly and disabled.. and yes i am in the process of waiting to hear about another job... so keeping everything crossed.

Anyway things are going to be sorted with star , we are dealing with it.so will update when we know more.

So sorry to hear about you losing your job Lozzy. You obviously care very much about Star to be coming on this forum asking for advice. Some of the comments were definitely uncalled for and no wonder you feel insulted. Keep us updated on Star so we know how you're getting on. Hope you find another job soon. It's good that you came on here to get the support of members and we have to realise not everyone will have the same opinions and ideas.

:xfngr: you get another job very soon. Once you get that sorted, you can concentrate on Star :hug:

I've just seen your photos on another post. For goodness sake don't sell your studio equipment. You are very talented and very creative :snap:

Back