Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions please

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

you have to have the money upfront or your dog can suffer,
    I don't really think this is fair -- these places are business, not banks, and have no idea of anyone's ability to repay a costly service. The best solution is to go to a bank and ask for a loan as that is the place that considers your financial situation and lends money on a payback scheme -- I could not possibly run a business relying on people who might or might not pay me in the future. The dog's suffering is not due to a neurologist refusing to treat for free on the basis that they might eventually get paid, but the owner having made a conscious decision to own a dog despite potential problems and not having insurance, or insurance early enough, or the money to pay for treatment -- please do not try to shift the blame! If she has had these symptoms for years, and there was some suspicion already on her records, surely it would have been wise to be setting aside some money each month towards possible need for treatment later if you chose not to investigate this earlier?

There is also the issue that if you had insured the dog from the start you'd be covered -- which is your responsibility, not the vet's or the neurologist's. That is what insurance is for -- it doesn't work that you only get it after you think there might be problems otherwise the whole point of insurance wouldn't work. I've paid insurance for years on my dogs with no claims on the basis that I MIGHT need it -- not that I WILL need it. if people just sign up late and expect big cost problems to be covered, it is people like ME paying for people who have paid nothing into the scheme because until then they didn't think they needed insurance. Why should I pay for that?

Dogs do not come cheap -- I am sure as someone showing and breeding already, you had investigated the breed and responsibly read up on the probable costs of MVD alone in this breed when the incidence is so high and the treatment can be expensive? That is why unless someone has a large number of dogs (in which case I recommend taking the cost of a monthly premium for EACH dog and putting it into a rainy day illness account) I strongly suggest insurance from the day people get their dogs. the reason why is because of exactly the terrible situation you now find yourself in. But it is not the fault of vets -- you needed to make those decisions yourself from the start. SM and serious indications of its high incidence has been known about at least since 2003 as that is when I first read about it on the UK CKCS Club site and elsewhere. There's been info up on the main discussion boards for four years or more in the health sections and on many breeder websites. I simply do not understand how people cannot come across this issue with just a small amount of research into the breed.

Anyone who is breeding and showing MUST take responsibility to know about this condition and be prepared for the financial implications -- including considering their responsibility towards owners of puppies they breed that end up with serious health problems they didn't test breeding stock for. The surgery costs close to £5000 with the MRI -- to me that is the minimum one should be able to easily pay out of pocket if choosing not to take out insurance.

If you feel you cannot manage the full cost of an MRI then consider going to one of the low cost schemes just for the diagnoses and then proceed with medications. Just be aware surgery will not be an option, but if the financial situation is this tight, I don't think that would be one of your options anyway. You can work with a basic MRI diagnosis and a sympathetic vet and Clare Rusbridge's treatment information. All this information is available at www.smcavalier.com as are symtpoms lists, neurologists in your area, etc.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would hope the vet could prescribe Gabapentin and Lasix at the very least for suspected SM. Other drugs like Rimadyl and Prednisone are harder on the dog's digestive system - at least that's what I've found with Geordie. Your dog may need a blood test before being given Gabapentin (and any heart meds, if needed), so they can keep an eye on her blood tests over time.

Sorry if I sound pushy, etc., but this has been my experience.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

OK first of all i am not shifting the blame here, i have ALWAYS paid for my dogs, MYSELF i did not expect to loose my job, i am doing all i can to get funds, and as for banks they are not lending at the moment ....you only have too see the news too see how many banks are struggling i am not on benefits i dont sit on my back side expecting ppl to pay for me etc, sorry but i take what you have said as an insult. Yes dogs are expensive, i have already stated that i am selling things to get the money..

inca i was told the mri is 300 pounds that includes the consultation etc.

Anyway i am off as i am now more livid.... i love my dogs and would never part with them nor would i carry on sitting and do nothing i have been waiting for a referel from the vets, then inca gave me numbers to london. I have already mentioned in my previous threads that i know they are a business etc so you have just stated what i already said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzy100 View Post
    OK first of all i am not shifting the blame here, i have ALWAYS paid for my dogs, MYSELF i did not expect to loose my job, i am doing all i can to get funds, and as for banks they are not lending at the moment ....you only have too see the news too see how many banks are struggling i am not on benefits i dont sit on my back side expecting ppl to pay for me etc, sorry but i take what you have said as an insult. Yes dogs are expensive, i have already stated that i am selling things to get the money..
    I am so sorry you've lost your job. I know how it is, because the economy is terrible and we're down to one breadwinner in our family now. Hang in there, things will improve eventually. If a neurologist suspects that your dog has SM, I would think the medications could be prescribed without a MRI scan.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Lozzy100;289558]OK first of all i am not shifting the blame here, i have ALWAYS paid for my dogs, MYSELF i did not expect to loose my job, i am doing all i can to get funds, and as for banks they are not lending at the moment ....you only have too see the news too see how many banks are struggling i am not on benefits i dont sit on my back side expecting ppl to pay for me etc, sorry but i take what you have said as an insult. Yes dogs are expensive, i have already stated that i am selling things to get the money..

Totally agree, this comment was totally uncalled for. u are doing ur best what else can u do. At the moment everybody seems to be losing their job my oh is been layed of next week after 10 yrs service. Hang on in there girl hopefully things will improve, maybe as others have said try the meds see if they work.

Post Thanks / Like

what were you doing for a job ?

is there no chance of finding something soon
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    what were you doing for a job ?

is there no chance of finding something soon
    I was working in the community looking after the elderly and disabled.. and yes i am in the process of waiting to hear about another job... so keeping everything crossed.

Anyway things are going to be sorted with star , we are dealing with it.so will update when we know more.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you today Lorraine, good luck with Star. Keep us updated

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about you losing your job Lozzy. You obviously care very much about Star to be coming on this forum asking for advice. Some of the comments were definitely uncalled for and no wonder you feel insulted. Keep us updated on Star so we know how you're getting on. Hope you find another job soon. It's good that you came on here to get the support of members and we have to realise not everyone will have the same opinions and ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

you get another job very soon. Once you get that sorted, you can concentrate on Star

I've just seen your photos on another post. For goodness sake don't sell your studio equipment. You are very talented and very creative
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....