• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

An old post about syringomyelia in cavaliers.

sins

This is a link to a scoliosis support site where a discussion was started about syringomyelia in cavaliers back in 2005.It was my first time hearing about this and it's amazing that the same questions are still being asked today.
http://www.scoliosis-support.org/showthread.php?t=6588

ther replies were as follows

Wow, Kayla! The poor dogs. I wonder if they will continue to breed these dogs knowing the high risk of this condition?

I've no doubt at all that they will, considering that for example Alsatians have been deliberately bred to walk hunched up, and there seems to be a stubborn refusal to test and stop breeding from ones with hip dysplasia. Pug faced cats and dogs continue to be bred as well, despite the potential for breathing difficulties.

I have a pug!... are you saying that is a bad thing?
smiles-sad.gif

There's nothing wrong with pug faced dogs and cats, and many are perfectly healthy. What I don't like is the fact that breeders will persist in breeding animals which have serious health problems in order to get a look that they want - like the alsatians. Many alsatians *don't* suffer hip dysplasia, and many pugs don't suffer breathing difficulties, so it's not as though the looks aren't achievable without health problems. I just don't approve of breeding sick animals simply so they match a set of criteria for their looks. Also, some breeders are just odd - I knew a person who got brother and sister persians to breed (to each other? never sure about that), both of whom had serious health issues including faces so flattened that their lower jaws jutted out so that they had trouble even eating. Hope that clarifies what I mean a bit more, I'm not saying that keeping pugs is wrong.

You may recognise the name of one of the admins on that site ...*cough cough:D
Sins

Last edited:
That's interesting and curious that they list exactly the breeds shown in Pedigree Dogs Exposed! I know GSD people have been complaining for years about how deformed the dogs are getting with that sloped back.

And that discussion was held over three years before Pedigree dogs exposed hit the TV screens....I must have read that at the time, and passed over it without even thinking too much about it.It's not until you see the effects of SM on the dogs that you can really understand how debilitating it can be.
The young lady who started that thread had at that stage 13 surgeries for Chiari/SM and scoliosis.
Sins

Back