• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another BackYard Breeder Thread

misty

Today I received an e-mail from a lady who wanted help in rehoming her 2 1/2 y/o Cavalier bitch.

To her credit, she had received dozens of replies to her ad in the freeads, but she was confused and couldn't tell who was telling the truth. She wanted the bitch to go to a good home. I had already advised her to be very careful who she rehomed to, as the bitch is not spayed.

I explained that almost all The Spaniel Trust's foster carers were fully committed and she offered to hold onto the bitch until I had a foster vacancy here.

So far, so good.

Then she went on to tell me the bitch had already had 2 litters and that one of the pups in the last litter had been grossly deformed and was born dead. Ok, no grave worries there I guess :(.

Then she dropped the bombshell ..............

The poor dog had only had her last litter TWO WEEKS AGO, and there were 9 puppies, one stillborn and the other 8 lived just a week, as they were tiny.

She told me it had been an 'accident' and I asked the breed of the father and she said Cavalier. I strongly suspect the father was actually a Bulldog breed.

Anyway, bombshell dropped. I knew there was nothing to do but to jump in the car, with OH as security, cos it was a dodgy area. So we went to get her and the owner legally surrendered her over to The Spaniel Trust.

The owner said the dog had 2 names: 'Lady' and 'Fliss'. The dog doesn't respond to either and I've renamed her Misty, because she looks so much like my 1st ever Cav, who was called Misty.

Misty is seeing the vet 1st thing Monday am for a thorough check-up and will be spayed when the vet thinks the time is right. She is not ready for rehoming yet (obviously!), but we will advise when she is.

Misty's fast asleep at my feet and the other Cavs are just getting on with life (in other words, they're all fast asleep too).

As Karlin says, please do NOT buy from a backyard breeder. It's not fair on the breeding bitches, and please don't ever feel sorry for a cute pup and take it home. You're just freeing up space for more puppies to be bred.

How awful, what a sad story, thank goodness she won't have to go through any more suffering.

Aww bless her, thank goodness she's in safe hands now and can go on to be someone treasured baby and put her troubled past all behind her, give her a gentle hug from me,well done

Thank goodness that she contacted you so that you could rescue her. Poor little dog. Well done for the quick rescue.

Some people are so heartless :(

my dad once rehomed a cavalier who came from a breeder she lost her litter by C Section my dad got her 4 days later stitches n all

she had a fun packed and loved 5 years with him

It just kills me that someone would take whatever they can from a dog while denying it even minimal affection and socialization, and then give it away when they consider it is no longer of use. And this lady is probably very high on the ethicality scale of BYBs given that she was at least half heartedly concerned about where her dog went. Many of them would give the dog away or try to sell it to ANYONE with the cash, no matter what they planned to do with the dog (not that they would ask that question anyway).

I called an ad several months ago that had 3 Cavaliers for sale for about $800 total. The man said they were 7 years old and I could probably get a couple more litters out of them. Nice. But he said, what they really need is to be pets. Not that HE was remotely willing to treat them like pets, but somebody should. And he came across like a very nice person on the phone. Just an entirely different world-view of dogs than me.

I rescued two breeding dogs from a BYB who represented that the girl was pregnant. She wasn't, but she had a large vaginal tumor, so it is possible that he genuinely thought she was. But on the other hand, if he thought she was pregnant, I'm pretty sure he'd want to keep her until she had the puppies so he could sell them too, right? Anyway, they went to Lucky Star, got vetted for the first time in a LOOONNNGG time, and went to an adoptive home. The man told me he never gives rabies shots because it makes the females miss a heat. Heaven forbid that should happen, huh? He said the last litter she had died in the cold, so he was through with Cavaliers (I can only hope.)

I know there are probably a tiny minority of non-show breeders out there who do all the appropriate health testing and breed carefully and selectively on a very limited basis, but it's like finding a needle in a haystack. And finding a puppy in the paper for way under market price is certainly not a way to find them! But there has to be a few who just love the breed but hate showing, right?

Thank goodness you responded so quickly, well done. Its nice to know she is safe now, and will have a happy future ahead of her.

Thank God she's out of there. I hope she finds a loving forever home where she can live the rest of her life as she deserves:)

Well done for getting her out of there. The poor thing has been through alot. I hope she finds a loving home soon :xfngr:

oh god! horrible horrible stories!!
We should educated people on BYB more.
Its seriously disgusting to see what people would do to make money!

The scary thing is that she's actually the one with some ounce of responsibility, in that she consulted the spaniel trust and surrendered the dog to you.

Glad to hear Misty is doing well... delighted she's (hopefully!) going to end up in a much happier home for the rest of her days.

Dora came from a similar background but was offered for free in the buy and sell, Thank goodness sallymum got to her first :) She's absolutely tiny, has already had one litter of pups and could have ended up in another unhappy byb home.

Back