• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any news from the SGM?

On a lighter note

I do believe that it is Margaret's 45th Wedding Anniversay this weekend and was due to go away. So congratulations to both you and your husband may you have many more happy years together. And you know what they say if you cannot beat them join them well this one aint.

Sorry to hear this Margaret :flwr:
Enjoy your glass of wine, you deserve it. You have done so much good work for cavalier health and I hope you will continue to do so :flwr:

I will only say that I would never buy from any of the breeders who voted against her. They clearly know they have something to hide, IMO. It's a sad thing when someone's prestige is put above hundreds, if not thousands, of dogs' health and well-being. Sickening.

Sorry, Margaret, but know that you are too good for these people. I only hope that puppy buyers will take note of what those breeders did, and are doing, and act accordingly.

Enjoy your rest and relaxation. Maybe (as others have mentioned) a new club can be formed that cares more about the dogs than about blue ribbons and stud fees!

Margaret, I wish to say a big thank you for everything you have done for the betterment of the breed. You are now not on committee but I think you may still continue doing what you can wherever you can.

So sorry to hear this I will be joining the club as a pet owner and will be voting you back in. I feel for you you did so much for our lovely dogs.

Michelle

Hi Pauline

I thought you did ,my forms for Dawn and i were sorted last week and in a weeks time i am arranging for my sister and hubby to join i am paying ,so thats four more and if i was totally unethical and untrustworthy and being in a position at work were people shall we say like to keep me happy i am sure i can persuade a lot more to join.So all these additional votes maybe up to 40 can be countered on to vote for the cavalier health conscious loving animal lovers ,so that rules out that bunch of gangsters that voted in the majority today and come to think of it could we not devise a hit list of our own to rid the club of these out of date misfits thus slowing enabling that club to be promoting what it should have done a long time ago ,a strictly controlled health caring breeding protocol and vote out of the club all these money grabbing two faced hypocrites that seem to have taken over and as Karlin correctly put it Its now an unethical get rich quick stuff the public and the dogs lets just make loads of money and keep a big GOB to shout anybody down who dares question us like that champion of the right M C. But M C if she wishes will swiftly return stronger wiser and with far far more support ,those idiots do not realise what they have done.Sorry again if i am OTT.i apologise in advance only to our mrmbers

I have posted a message in support of Margaret in the ckcs comm on livejournal. They tend to ignore health issues or even downplay them, so it will be interesting to see the response.

Quailing slightly, here...

Fewer than 2 dozen breeders attended the two club sponsored sm conferences and virtually none who voted against margaret but 200 showed up to vote out the key person behind every ongoing club health campaign as originator or main supprter.
Regarding the two club sponsored sm conferences have you got the details, dates, where, etc., this as it may be best to include this in any correspondences. Maybe post on the list so we all know.

rugby oct 2007 and London nov 2006. I can check list of attendees but would not think more than a dozen if that of the club outside a handful of truly health committed breeders. Also many clubs have had such a hard time getting breeders to use the 100 pound scanning days that they have routinely had pet owners fill their empty slots. It is ridiculous, those scanning programmes should be packed

Please check for numbers at each, and who spoke at the conference. I think details adds meaning, particularly if sending emails or letters.

Interest in SM

The Midland Club held a seminar taken by Geoff Skerrit and his team in February 2007; about 60 people attended, almost all of whom were breeders - I was one of the few pet owners present (one of the breeders present has been one of the leaders in the move against Margaret, in spite of all the clear evidence presented by the vets). The Midland Club, as a result of that seminar, pioneered the £100 scans at Geoff Skerrit's hospital; over the first 3-day session in June 2007, 75 dogs were scanned; on the day that I took my Oliver to be scanned, I was the only pet owner there - all the others were breeders. I agree that many of the larger breeders are trying to ignore SM, but many smaller breeders - who really only breed when they need a puppy to carry on their own line (sometimes only a litter every 5 or 6 years) ARE scanning their breeding stock and their puppies are much sought after by other small breeders and pet owners.

So don't give up on the Cavalier Clubs - join and prod and redress the balance! The big breeders only have one vote each - let's make sure we can outvote them. And insist on a postal vote next time...

And spread the SM word - to your vets and to pet owners that you meet; Oliver and I did a day at Discover Dogs at Crufts this year and spent almost the whole day talking to Cavalier owners about SM - and got a special thank you from the Midland Club (who organise the Cavalier stand at DD at Crufts) for doing so.

The CKCS Club will only be a club for breeders if we allow it to be.

Kate and Oliver

i just read the link, am now stinkingly angry. they don't even have the common decency to allow her to speak, she was heckled!!!

i can't read anymore or i will wake hubby up swearing.

so soooo angry at this stage.

I'm out today for physiotherapy and hospital appointments, but more letter drafting starts tomorrow. I have several points I want to make to the CKCS club using quotes from comments made to the Dog World site. I have been making a list over the last couple of weeks.

Now I have more to add, but need to do some research about numbers etc before committing pen to paper. Never thought being off work for this long would be so useful, but it has given me time to do everything I can.

Re: Karlin's comment about the CKCS club being a breeders club rather than a breed club: very true, so as a pet owner I think I need to get more involved, as do other pet owners. I am going to talk to Margaret C regarding this point to see what she thinks.

Brian's post has also made me realise that if this is going to be the case I need to sign up my husband, and my parents (also Cavalier owners) and as many other owner I can.

Will check back in later.

i just read the link, am now stinkingly angry. they don't even have the common decency to allow her to speak, she was heckled!!!

i can't read anymore or i will wake hubby up swearing.

so soooo angry at this stage.

Ciren, I feel the way you do, but at the same time I'm not surprised at anything :(.

Whilst you're still angry, channel the anger into doing something positive to make things change.

For my part, I've made it my business to tell everything who saw the BBC1 documentary about how Margaret has been treated. People are horrified.

It was very distressing to hear Margaret was heckled. What this courageous lady has been through. :(

But, the truth is out and that's thanks to her. :)

A big thank you to you Margaret cl*p

Midland Club scanning

On another thread Karlin wrote: 'the low cost scans are very basic scans and consults to give breeders awareness of the status of their breeding dogs. Pet owners can use them too -- at a higher cost but still relatively low -- but again that doesn't involve treatment advice, or a full consult'

As far as I know, this isn't true of the Midland Club scans with Geoff Skerritt - the low price is simply because the Club is able to fill 3 days just with Cavaliers being scanned for SM, which reduces running costs for the hospital (and gives Geoff a lot more data for his research, because he mostly sees known SM positive dogs with symptoms). Geoff went through the scan with me, gave me a prognosis, and made sure I knew what to look for if Oliver did develop symptoms. As it happens, of the breeders who were there on our day, all their dogs scanned either clear, asymptomatic or with very mild symptoms - if their dogs had had severe symptoms they would probably have been under their own vets/scanned already. But my understanding was that this was an opportunity to have a proper scan, and full consultation if needed - it was just that for these dogs a lengthy discussion of treatment options wasn't necessary. Anyone with a symptomatic Cavalier, who belonged to the club and needed a scan at the time of the 'Club days' (now held twice a year), would be able to have a 'proper scan' and consultation at the lower price. Nothing was said on the booking form about it being simply a cut-price quick check for breeders so leave your symptomatic dogs at home - nor was there a higher price for me as a pet owner. But of course most of the Midland Club members are in fact breeders (though many I know breed very seldom) - like the main club, we need more pet owners to join and then they could also take advantage of these 'proper' but low cost scans (but most pet owners will only scan if their dog has obvious symptoms - I scanned asymptomatic Oliver because I'm a nosey parker and wanted to know his status, given his pedigree!). What happens in other low cost schemes I have no idea - I'm only involved in this one.

Kate and Oliver

Back