• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HELP! Please reply ASAP...

GeeGee

When I got home from work today my Mum and Step-dad told me Pippa has had a sort of seizure thing. When I got in she didnt run and meet me like normal. She was standing next to my Mum and when I approached her she walked up to me but her rear end was going to the side causing her to walk diagonally. We got her to lay in her bed and every time she tried to focus on something her head kind of went from side to side not alot just slightly like she was dizzy and couldnt focus. As I was at work I asked Mum what happened this is it...
At about 1 O'clock today Pippa was brushing her head and body against my mum winding her body in and out mums legs (which is normal because she was wet and she normally does this) then she walked away from Mum and her back legs just collapsed, since she has been walking funny (as described earlier) and she has been sick three times. She is lying in her bed now but she is obviosuly not comfortable and unhappy.
Any ideas as to what is wrong? We have look at the SM website as after watching the pedigree programme on BBC are mind was immediatly drawn to that. She is only showing some of the symptoms but she hasnt been scratching which I thought was the main symptom.
Pippa is now 5 years old if that helps.
Please get back asap as we are very worried.

You need to get her to the vet asap.
Only a vet can tell you what's happening or if it's serious.If a dog is weak and vomiting it could be anything from poisoning to a virus and any number of things in between.let us know what the vet says.
Sins

id take her to the vet straight away, I know it would be the emergency vet for you today but to be honest i wouldnt leave her til tomorrow. If shes been sick she is clearly in pain, she may have just pulled or twisted a muscle but personally id take her right away for medical advice.
Hope its nothing too serious...

Posting in two places since you did --

Sounds a bit like a vestibular incident, but she is rather young for that. Do you see her eyes moving strangely - darting from side to side? And ataxia - incoordination as if she is drunk? I've had three Cavaliers that have had vestibular incidents - they were all in their teens - and recovery is generally complete within 10 days to two weeks or so without treatment except for supportive measures. One boy was left with a slight permanent head tilt. For some unknown reason, vestibular incidents often occur during the change of seasons - such as now.

Pat

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...r_disease.html

http://members.tripod.com/dachshealt...ar_disease.htm

GeeGee,

Go to the vet ASAP. It does sound like Vestibular, giddy, sick, unable to stand, going around in circles with weak rear legs? your vet can give meds to stop the sickness and to stop her from feeling giddy. Let us know how you get on.
If it is Vestibular give her peace and quiet and somewhere warm and cosy to sleep, she may find it difficult to eat? so mash everything up really fine until sloppy for a while and make sure she has plenty of fluids. They do come good again with rest and lots of TLC but sometimes they can be left with a head tilt and a slow walk.

Alison.

Terribly scary! How is she doing now? Did you get her to the vet? Please let us know how she's doing.

Any idea if she has had a bang on the head at all? It does sound like vestibular (one of mine had this when she was nine) a few weeks after banging her head on a metal gate. She lost co-ordination and was going in circles with the nystagmus (flickering eyes). Prompt treatment at the vets overnight and I got her back the next day fit and well. She lived on until almost 15yrs,

How is Pippa? Did you take her in to the vet? Sounds like something serious. All but the vomiting is exactly what Laddie, our collie did with tick paralysis, and you just need to find the tick and get it off if it is that. Tick paralysis is fatal if the tick isn't removed, or doesn't fall off on its own on time. Truthfully though, with the vomiting, it sounds like something else, perhaps even that she ate something toxic?

Back