• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Quite confused now

Scottie

I am really confused as where I stand in finding out where to find a good breeder, I thought I had only to contact the cavalier club and they would help me out, now I'm not so sure.
I didn't see the Pedigree Dogs programme but have read about it and from a pet owners point of view it seems the Cavalier club is more about breeders than the health of the breed, or am I getting it wrong?
Years ago I bought my cavalier from a farmer, no papers, no questions asked, he was a great dog until 4yrs of age when he died of kidney failure. At the time I didn't know any better, now I do, hence why I am getting as much information as I can on the breed now.
I intend to go to a cavalier show in Lanark on the 18th of this month but will I be able to talk to good breeders at a show?
I know the cavalier suits my lifestyle, and I would be able to care for one but the medical problems in the cavalier breed are really worrying and I don't want to make a mistake.
I don't want to appear this negative but I'm highly confused :confused:

Hi Scottie

Best wishes and welcome and i sincerely hope you find the cavalier of your dreams ,like you i had no knowledge whatsoever of the inherited inbreeding problems that curse our breed but i hope one of our more experienced and knowledgeable forum members will guide you in your search.Having read a lot of Forums/Dog World /K/CK CS club comments the breed seems controlled by load of self-opinionated egotistical money grabbing unethical nasty vindictive people who go under the disguise of breeders (not all) and dont seem to give a toss about the innocent puppy seeking public or in fact our beloved Cavaliers,so pls be careful and ask as many health questions as poss and also read up on Karlens superb puppy buying questionnaire guide ,oh and certainly witch out for a most horrible specimen like i described that resides north of the boarder and she uses the phrase wee a lot this insidious individual is probably the most evil and dangerous specias around.
So sorry for my rant i could feel the temp going up after whats happened today so very best wishes in you puppy search ,oh and i apologies (exception of one ) for my blunt/aggressive comments .Sorry;

Hi Scottie

Having read a lot of Forums/Dog World /K/CK CS club comments the breed seems controlled by load of self-opinionated egotistical money grabbing unethical nasty vindictive people who go under the disguise of breeders (not all) and dont seem to give a toss about the innocent puppy seeking public or in fact our beloved Cavaliers,so pls be careful and ask as many health questions as poss and also read up on Karlens superb puppy buying questionnaire guide ,oh and certainly witch out for a most horrible specimen like i described that resides north of the boarder and she uses the phrase wee a lot this insidious individual is probably the most evil and dangerous specias around.
;

I used to believe dog breeders were all fairydust & rainbows But I quickly had that notion knocked out of me. As with most things in life you dont get to the top by being nice.

But I do believe there are good cavalier breeders . cavaliers are so popular that good breeders should still have room to work with likeminded people & not be totally controlled by the few at the top as in smaller breeds

Good luck with your search for a new cavalier , as long as you are strongminded in the type of breeder you want & are willing to wait for the right pup you'll be ok

I think all cavs are the same so loyal,loving,best freind! you name it they have it!! Good luck in picking, HOPE YOU FIND YOUR BUNDLE OF JOY!

Scottie -- I know that this seems a particularly difficult time to search for a cavalier puppy, but take heart! Puppy buyers have an enormous amount of power here -- you need to determine what your requirements are from a breeder and then STICK TO THOSE REQUIREMENTS. In my search for a reputable breeder, I went in "armed" with a list of absolutes that I wanted from my breeder. Sure, a lot of breeders were very nice people and spoke a good game, but if they couldn't provide the information on my checklist, I moved on. I would also add that it's imperative to ACTUALLY SEE the information you need regarding health certificates, etc. It makes the search easier if you can stay a bit emotionally detached -- just remind yourself of your list of requirements and it will be easier to walk away from those precious puppies who may not have been bred under good conditions or in compliance with health protocols. Many times I wanted to "save" the puppy, but my non-emotional side reminded me that supporting their breeder is not in the best interest of these dogs.

It may take time and be a bit frustrating, but will be worth it in the end. Here's the link to Karlin's "guide" to finding a reputable breeder: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=26677

At this site in the first couple paragraphs you can see some direction that may help find a reputable breeder. Be sure to read all of the site referred to.

http://www.coldwetnose.blogspot.com/

Be very careful with this link! Don't automatically assume any breeder's cavaliers are all going to be healthy just because they've been scanned. While the openness with health information is highly appreciated, you need to understand what you're reading in the MRI reports. I have Clare Rusbridge's book, and it helps a lot.

Thanks for all your replies. I will definetly be doing more homework and making sure I see concrete proof of any health tests done.
I met 2 cavalier owners in the park today and they wouldn't recommend their breeders to anyone else! They both had lovely dogs but said the breeders were only after their money and not helpful once they had took the pups home.
I have plenty of time to do my research,which consists of reading as much as possible and accosting cavalier owners in the park or anyone else I see them :D
Next spring will be the time I hope to find the right dog.
At least now I have decided on a tricolour and female so that's half the problem solved!

Scottie -- good for you for taking your time in this search. Even though it seems like a decent amount of time before you would like to bring your puppy home, I strongly suggest you start making contact with those breeders who meet your requirements. Like you, I was interested in a specific color and gender, which can make the wait a little longer. I found that I needed to be especially patient if I wanted a girl, particularly a blenheim or tri. Go ahead and start talking to breeders and see what their feelings are about waiting lists, etc. I waited through a few different litters with three different breeders before Holly became available.

Back