• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Broccoli

cy1266

Does anyone know if dogs can have broccoli? I recently read somewhere, it could have been the WDJ, that broccoli shouldn't be fed to dogs; I hadn't heard this before. My boys are given frozen broccoli and they love it. I also looked at the ingredients of the Primal brand frozen raw lamb formula, and it lists organic broccoli as an ingredient. Has anyone else heard this before? icon_nwunsure

:thnku:

Hi

My three have broccoli and green beans and carrot every day ,but not frozen it will be too cold on their tummys,used as a filler with their Burns dry food.

Rgds

Brian

Thanks Brian, I meant to say that I buy frozen broccoli, but they eat it after it's been thawed :) I panicked for a minute, thinking I had been feeding them something that I shouldn't have!

Hi chleo92us

Yes but its nice and warm where you are ,it probaly melts before it gets to their tums.

I give raw broccoli stems to mine all the time. They are a favourite treat.

Ok I just read that it can be poisonous!

http://dogblog.8pawsup.com/2008/03/broccoli-toxicity-dogs.html

But this post actually takes Mike Richards DVM out of context. Hre is what he actually says here: http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Broccoli%20toxicity

Broccoli toxicity has been noted in livestock. Apparently in California it is widely available at certain times and the dairy cattle there are fed broccoli due to this. If the percentage of broccoli in the diet exceeds 10% it can cause gastrointestinal upsets and if it exceeds 25% it is fatal.

I could not find any references to problems with broccoli in small animals, probably because no one feeds them more than 10% of their diet as broccoli or possibly because they don't have rumens and therefore don't digest the broccoli as thoroughly.

The toxic ingredient in broccoli is isothiocyanate and it is reported to be a pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant.

So G. might be right. But I did find several references suggesting that broccoli should be fed to pets because of the bioflavinoids in it and their cancer fighting capabilities. So he might be wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are planning on feeding a lot of broccoli at one time to Kate. But your daughter might want to follow her vet's advice or find out if there is more evidence of toxicity than I can find.

Mike Richards, DVM
See:

Broccoli

Broccoli is not a commonly reported poison however is can be toxic when large amounts are given to dogs. Broccoli contains isothiocyanate, a powerful gastrointestinal irritant and can be very painful. Broccoli in small amounts, less than 5% of a dogs diet, is actually nutritional as the bioflavonoid it contains help prevent cancer.
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/quick-reference-guide-to-dog-poisons-health.htm

I wonder if Dr Richards is right and really this is only an irritant to animals like cattle that have several stomachs and different chemical states in each for digesting cellulose.

My ones like peas too, although they mainly get raw carrot strips. My vet said these were a good treat for my mum's Cavalier who tends to put on weight if we are not careful, and now Toby and Rufus join in.

Mine like broccoli too and it's a good way of getting rid of the stem, lol! I don't give them mini veggies like peas, sweetcorn etc cos I find it literally goes straight through them and comes out intact at the other end. Not sure what good it's doing in that case!

Thanks for the responses, everyone! :D It looks like it's fine - actually beneficial - to feed broccoli as long as the quantities are small, which they are. Thanks for finding and posting this information, Karlin!

Broccoli in small amounts, less than 5% of a dogs diet, is actually nutritional as the bioflavonoid it contains help prevent cancer.

Hi

I always cut the stems off and just give them the crown is that right, sometimes carrots pop out intact as well ,never given a lot of thought about peas what do others think.

Back