• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Adopting a Cavalier Stud

Mark A

I am considering adopting a three year old stud from a breeder who is moving out of state next week that I am unfamiliar with. I do not plan to use this dog to breed as I want it solely as as family pet. The dog is AKC registered and is purported to be from champion lines. I am familiar with the process of selecting a breeder for a litter of puppies, but never considered an adult dog until now. My questions are as follows:

The breeder has agreed to provide me with the veterinarian's name and number, innoculations and health records.

If I contact the veterinarian will he/she generally release information directly to me as a prospective buyer?

The breeder appears to be reputable and claims to have had the dog tested by a cardiologist for MVD and other health issues.

What traits should I look for when I go to meet with the breeder and dog?

What other questions should I ask of the breeder?

One last thing you should know is that the breeder advertised the dog along with a litter of three puppies in a large statewide newspaper.

Your comments would be appreciated.

I think it's great that you are asking these questions before you move forward with this decision. I'm sure others will be able to provide more thorough answers, but here are my initial thoughts:

The breeder has agreed to provide me with the veterinarian's name and number, innoculations and health records.

If I contact the veterinarian will he/she generally release information directly to me as a prospective buyer?

I think the breeder has to authorize the vet to release this information to you.

The breeder appears to be reputable and claims to have had the dog tested by a cardiologist for MVD and other health issues.

Ask to see the results from the cardiologist, along with test results for other Cavalier issues such as luxating patellas, eyes (CERF) and MRI scans for SM...does she have these results for this dog's parents and grandparents too?

What traits should I look for when I go to meet with the breeder and dog?

I would look closely at where the dog is kept, look at the other dogs, see how the dog you're looking at adopting acts with you and the other dogs.

What other questions should I ask of the breeder?

Is she going to neuter him before you adopt him? I don't think most responsible breeders would re-home a stud dog without neutering him first.

The dog is AKC registered and is purported to be from champion lines.

AKC registered doesn't really mean much. I think all Cavaliers are from "champion lines" - how far back are the champions? One, two, ten generations back? The parents / grandparents are what count, I believe.

One last thing you should know is that the breeder advertised the dog along with a litter of three puppies in a large statewide newspaper.

Hmmm, this sounds a little fishy to me...why is she picking up and moving so quickly when she just had a litter of puppies? I didn't think most good breeders advertised in the paper. Is she selling this stud dog or giving him away? What quesetions has she asked you?

Good luck with your decision, I would just make sure I knew the answers to these questions before you move forward.

I have an ex-stud dog.

He wasn't from what you'd call a 'normal' breeder, but from a Welsh puppy farm. He'd never seen a bird in the sky when we adopted him.

He's still traumatised 2 years on, but I wouldn't change the experience for the whole world.

Just bear in mind there are several types of breeders and think about what you are willing to take on. I don't tend to trust breeders that advertise in newspapers, but that may be a generalisation - it usually makes me think puppy farmers or backyard breeders. I have adopted dogs from both these backgrounds and I can't describe the contempt I have for these people.

Back