• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just so you know!

Just FYI was amused to read that some are resorting to Googling to try to bring up posts on 'certain' boards and lists. :lol: I will not flatter myself to think that this means CavalierTalk and that some breeders are so desperate to read this board that they would actually spend time trying to do that to read posts here... but perhaps it is true... :cool:

I'll eventually flip this forum back to open access so they can read away! -- but for now it continues to be amusing to make some folks have to take up so much of their day trying to find out what people are talking about. I think they would actually get a much better idea of the general public's views however from some of the large public lists like Dogpages.co.uk however, or comments on news stories on publication websites -- surely it cannot matter much what our much smaller membership says here? Or maybe they think what we think and say is -- gasp! -- Important?!

:rotfl:

I certainly don't waste time now reading their posts and comments elsewhere simply because they have made the same arguments for years, coming from the same people. Surely they can predict some of what will be said here too and thus, don't need to sloooooowly access board posts through the tedious process of googling people's names and relevant keywords? :badgrin: I know a lot of us are doing far more productive things behind the scenes. :cool: I hope at least some of them are too! :)

I do see that someone has independently confirmed that what the KC said about the CKCS Club SGM and its support for Margaret Carter is official. So sadly, their hopes are now dashed that this was just Ryan O'Meara making things up. :lol:

I certainly don't waste time now reading their posts and comments elsewhere simply because they have made the same arguments for years, coming from the same people.

Yes, took me a while to get it, but I have now stopped bothering with them too. Although I did do a quick trawl round the general dog sites yesterday just to get the satisfaction of seeing all the people supporting Margaret!:razz:

Last edited:
Well I lied -- sometimes I do read my email list subscriptions just because they produce gems like this, from the moderators of the Allaboutcavaliers list, who are paranoid trying to figure out how I can read their posts (doh! Just as Veronica said on that very list about Cavaliertalk, noting her assumption that I *would* read her post -- which implies they have no idea who is on their list anyway... :rolleyes: -- and they are right! :lol:)

...with many, many memberships going way back before you were all so worried about SGMs, and given how easy it is to register under any old name, including 'one of your own', is it any wonder I could be on the list? Or be on the list under three different names, for that matter?

Anyway I thought it ironic (given that one of the former breeder members here had offered on that very list to email on your messages, and given that they crosspost from here) that moderator Kathy Yonkers would say this:

I was just informed that KL might be signing on to this forum via the
webpage or is having someone forward posts to her.

She wrote to a member quoting the post this member had made to this
forum.

We are going to have our security person work on this....while this
investigation is occurring, if you forwarded posts or given web access
to these parties sign off now before you are embarrassed in front of
the forum.

Remember these posts are copyrighted by the individual and individuals
have to be approved to join our discussion group. If you are reading
these posts and are not a member you in violation.

The Moderators.. .>>

Man, how paranoid is THAT? Let's not be coy,then -- the forum member I wrote to was the one removed from this list: Nancy. I do not like naming names but given what is going on on the Allabout list, I feel obliged to let those of you who post to other lists and boards know who these people are as they discuss YOU and YOUR posts while posting in a friendly way on other sites where you also are members. This is two faced and duplicitous and they might want to explain themselves elsewhere, where they remain members.

Given that I can produce plenty of evidence that the Allabout team have violated their own 'crossposting' rule with lots of posts from other websites and boards and lists, they will have problems complaining about me 'crossposting'. And anyway they have to figure out who the real KL is anyway. :lol:

They have violated, again and again, Yahoo's own policy on use of lists and if they dare to post another post from any of you from other Yahoo lists to that list I will submit all the evidence to Yahoo which will cause their group to be barred from using Yahoo as they have violated the Yahoo Groups terms of agreement. As some of them should know.

"They" could use a few more bumps in the road-some are so awful. Winning a discussion means cutting opponent off at knees-doesn't matter the subject being discussed. Good thing they can't find out an opponent's past history in re: to say juvenile behavior or they'd go after that. A little Logic 101 infused subconsciously into them would enable honest discussion-maybe....hmmm..anyone have telepathic abilities?

who are paranoid trying to figure out how I can read their posts

If people really don't want others reading their posts then they shouldnt post on message boards , infact if something is so secret they should phone each other or better yet learn to communicate telepathicly ,lol

Its not nice but it will happen even amongst " friends"

The Allaboutcavaliers list on Yahoo Groups has 436 members. Let me repeat: 436 members (though they seem to be removing some all right!). It would be amazing if all the other 435 members besides me (that is assuming I registered only once, of course) agreed with what they post and think. Still I am sure their 'security person' will have fun trying to figure out who is who, out of that 436.

But anyway: I do sincerely wish the security person happy hunting. I've used Yahoo Groups for many years and know how limited the tools are for administrating groups there. And that it isn't very hard to register or get online.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/allaboutcavaliers/

BTW, from their list description -- I'd forgotten this bit:

Keeping with the philosophy of the list owners, members can agree to disagree in a polite manner. No names of individuals or dogs can be presented in a negative light.

There is a zero tolerance flame policy.

The Allaboutcavaliers list on Yahoo Groups has 436 members. Let me repeat: 436 members (though they seem to be removing some all right!). It would be amazing if all the other 435 members besides me (that is assuming I registered only once, of course) agreed with what they post and think. Still I am sure their 'security person' will have fun trying to figure out who is who, out of that 436.

But anyway: I do sincerely wish the security person happy hunting. I've used Yahoo Groups for many years and know how limited the tools are for administrating groups there. And that it isn't very hard to register or get online.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/allaboutcavaliers/

Has this list always been invite only? It seems from your post that at one point it was an open join list.

Sorry to be so "new" just trying to get through all the politics.

Tim

I have to say that I actually find it very sad that there is a "them and us" between breeders and pet owners.
I can understand that it isnt going to change but wouldn't it be lovely if we could actually discuss issues in an adult, mature way.
When I first learnt that my bitch has SM, I read everything I could find on the matter. I joined several groups, but have found that most seem to be a "my dog is worse than yours" or even, god forbid, remind me of munchausen's by proxy!

It is a scary enough prospect dealing with an ill animal without having to wade through people bitching and backbiting, bringing their personal grievances out for everyone to be entertained by.

I freely admit I don't understand half of whats going on ( if even that much) but I would still like to thank the people who take their time to answer the questions of the people who are just looking for help and advice.
I would also like to thank Margaret Carter for making a stand and I am sorry that I could not support you at the SGM but I had already, having spoken to members of the CKCS club when searching for a puppy, decided that as a pet owner it wasn't a club I wanted to be associated with. Maybe a decision I will come to regret.

Ok I am beginning to ramble now.. I do actually enjoy my time here for the simple reason that generally we dont get much of the bitching that happens in the other groups. I can understand your frustrations Karlin, having read some very unpleasant things on other groups about a few people who's names I recognise from this board. Just try and remember that at least here you are offering the people that really need the help and advice, somewhere that we can find it without being flamed and abused. That is a good thing.

Right now breeders are not top of my list on decent people having had mine hang up on me when I phoned to tell her that Tilly had SM. That said, I do know they are not all bad. Oh for an ideal world where concern for your animals meant more than perfect showdogs or the sound of the cash machine.

Stopping now before you all think I am quite mad... although you may have a point :)

we are only members of this forum, for Cavaliers, and most of you will be aware of the deep affection we have for Cavalier Talk, and it's members, and yourself Karlin, sometimes I'l have a nosey on other sites, such as Dog world,and I have to admit, to being digusted by the treatment dished out by certain people on other lists, towards decent caring people, such as Margert C, yourself Pauline,and others, there is 1 person in particular, who seems to delight in being spiteful, and downright nasty,

As i've said before, I've stayed out of the debate's that have arisen from PDE, as i think it's been slightly out of my depth, mainly due to lack of knowledge on my part, what i will say is, that it's incredibly reassuring, and uplifting to know that there are so many decent, and caring people, who are trying to influence things for the betterment of our wonderful breed, despite what the small minded zealots say or try, in a bizzare effort to somehow maintain the status quo,

R.

...decided that as a pet owner it wasn't a club I wanted to be associated with

I can quite understand this, though when I joined I didn't really know much about the Club at all. In fact, it was only because Toby's breeder offered to sign me up (as she said you get a Cavalier newsletter and breed book to flick through) I joined.

I've never got involved at all, and (oh sad person) treated the breed book as a nice glossy set of photographs to look at. I am sorry to say that I never even followed all the health issues in a detailed way, hence my lack of knowledge about SM.

But now, with recent events, I do feel that I am glad I joined, and am encouraging other caring pet owners to join to. It is up to us to make our votes count and show we are supporting the people (pet owners and breeders) who are campaigning for Cavalier health, not those breeders who want to ignore all the research.

To me, this means uniting pet owners and breeders who are prepared to follow the breeding advice given on the basis of research done so far - advice given by the club itself. So I don't see it simply as a split between breeders and pet owners.

I found this forum because of all the recent events and am very glad I did, as it is a friendly place to chat and has lots of information. I have dipped my toe in posting on other boards but withdrew sharply when it was nipped! I don't have a place in my life for people like that.

I am sorry to hear that your dog has SM, but I am sure that you will find lots of support and advice here, without the competitive stuff.

Best wishes,

I'm never bothered by nasty things being said. :lol: I get a good laugh from them generally... not least as I have a fair bit of written evidence concerning quite a few of these nastier people who forget that not all the world sees things as they do, and that people do talk and save documentation. I just compile my folders of information, as do several of us, and wait for that information to be useful, at the right time and place.

actually find it very sad that there is a "them and us" between breeders and pet owners.

There isn't, between any decent breeder and any decent pet owner. Some pet owners have unrealistic expectations of what dog breeding is about -- but likewise some breeders view pet buyers as easy marks, both BYBs and millers but sadly many club breeders too.

There are plenty of threads here in which I have defended breeders against unrealistic expectations from puppy buyers -- that every dog come with a lifetime health guarantee for example. But breeders still have the greater responsibility to be informed and make the best choices in breeding that they can because their actions determine the future of the breed as well as the potential for problems in every litter. Right now, some make immoral choices to breed dogs they know have health problems, or choose not to test because knowing results might mean a moral obligation to remove a nice dog from their show/breeding programme. These are bottom line health issues.

Pet buyers do have a responsibility too if they care about the future of cavaliers -- and that is not to vote with your wallet or for convenience. If you put money into the pockets of people who do not test and breed affected dogs, then you too are complicit in damaging this breed, equally with breeders.

Please make a commitment to support the health-focused breeders who can talk to you and show you their scan and cardiologist results and discuss their breeding choices. Or support rescue and give a home to a dog that way. But don't opt for the untested, sometimes cheaper dog you can have this week rather than next year. When you make those choices, you are joining forces with those who do not care about this breed.

I have to say that I actually find it very sad that there is a "them and us" between breeders and pet owners.

I found that ridiculous about the other list as well. Even on the opening page, it makes it clear that if you're just a "pet owner" you're not invited.

How easy it is for them to bite the hand that feeds them :rolleyes:

Right now, some make immoral choices to breed dogs they know have health problems, or choose not to test because knowing results might mean a moral obligation to remove a nice dog from their show/breeding programme.

I also find this truly disgusting. The last time I went to a cavalier show, I actually asked "hypothetically speaking, what happens if that dog comes down with a severe heart murmur in the next month?" and I was told that you have to be VERY careful, because some "breeders" are not in it for the right reasons and will continue to show and or breed their dogs :mad:

In the hunt for me, the Great Inquisition and Purge has begun on Allaboutcavaliers!

Efficiently organised too -- users must email back according to the first letter of usernames with specific letters assigned on a set of days, but leaving out weekends so people can go to shows (I am not joking!). Members must reply by answering a number of questions so their existential reality may be ascertained by the grand inquisitors.

This is the plan:

Wednesday-Thursday- A-I

Monday-Tuesday J-O

Wednesday-Thursday P-Z

Include in your post:

Name
Email address
Why you enjoy this forum
Affix (kennel name)if applicable
Years in the breed
Memberships in which clubs
If you access via your mailbox or via the webpage.

What sits a little funny with the comment

Thank you for making this forum a wonderful venue!

Is the closing sentence:

If you do not repond to the audit, you will be deleted. If anyone has an issue with any member email us privately.

The grand tradition of the McCarthy era continues -- inform on your fellow members if you think they have ever known, supported or associated with communi... I mean, Karlin. :rolleyes:

For any Allabout members reading, just a practical suggestion from someone who has run or been on lists like this for years: this will be a clumsy way of purging suspects simply because a huge number on any list are Nomail and rarely check the list online, while others get digest formats and don't always read them or read selectively, or are away.

If this is truly how they are going to hunt me out, I would guess we will see the list membership severely pruned in a week or two. Lots of members will find themselves off the forum and won't know why and probably will never rejoin -- or moderators will have the headache of having to sign lots of people back up again (after making sure they are not me, of course!).

And another free hint: if you want a private forum, folks, then set up a small closed forum for your core group rather than one with hundreds of members, many of whom will not hold your party line. That will be much harder for me to join in future. (y)

Karlin, I found that a little hard to follow. Does this mean that I, being called Pauline would have to email that forum on a Wednesday and state my credentials? Anyone not doing this will be thrown out?

I'm not a member of that forum of course.

I suppose so! (Queue quietly according to your letter, please!) You'd only have today and tomorrow or forever lose your membership. :cry*ing: However I am guessing they won't actually in the end use this method, as it will remove so many members... On the other hand if 436 members reply, they will have a heck of a lot of reading and confirming to do! With thousands of cavalier breeders all around the world, it would be hard to confirm all the details are correct or that someone isn't making things up.

Just in case you are a member, don't forget to note

Why you enjoy this forum

You may wish to reply:

Because I know it is here to keep the online world safe from Karlin.

:lol:

Back