Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kennel Club criticises CKCS Club, supports Margaret Carter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I would have wacked her with it

opps must say things like that out loud
    this was about 10 years ago
    All the dogs hated her & non ever learned anything.

I was the only person who didnt have a newspaper & Becky was top of the class she even got a prize.

then there was the other class I went to were they were really competative. they had no interest in me with my pet dogs.
    I couldnt be bothered with their nitpicking such as dogs having to have their tails straight behind when they sat etc .

& one woman had a habit of hitting her dog on the chin ever few seconds to make it look at her .
    people think the dogs look at their owners from devotion when really they are trained to do it.

I would have loved to try agility but both my first dogs had bad knee's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    ...said her collie was giving birth & she'd left it with a pups leg sticking out , she didnt have time to wait for it
    I hope this sentence does not really say what I understand .

I think this vicious mistreatment - you gave several examples - to dogs uncovers some humans way of venting their frustration on animals.
    I don't understand why dogs rarest revenge
    Liebe Grüße
    Elke und Jungs

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my god I didn’t think agility and obedience could be like that.
    I must say I took mine to puppy classes nothing else and it’s only in the last few months I got interested in obedience classes. I had a look at a few classes and I didn’t really like what I saw in one of them. Nothing bad but the instructor was clearly into agility and she was only interested in a dog if she thought it would be good at agility otherwise she didn’t give you much attention. So now I travel 35 miles to get to my obedience class and I think its well worth it.
    Sabby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A good trainer is def. worth travelling for!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I know people who have left the IKC classes out near the airport (not the Dog Training Ireland centre at the opposite side of the airport!!) because many of those trainers insist on choke chains and jerking the dogs around and physically punishing the dog for not understanding it is supposed t sit or lie down.
    And these are the EDUCATED people????! How many people have gone back to their homes after these kind of 'training' and continued to beat their dogs? And then have passed on their 'knowledge' to other people?

A good friend of mine has just got a springer puppy and mentioned that she was nipping a lot and her husband had started slapping her gently on the nose for it. She didn't like this and was looking for advice. But you can hardly blame her or her husband for thinking this was an appropriate response when you hear about all the trainers that advocate it.

I suppose though we can take heart from the fact that years ago it was considered absolutely fine to slap your child. (spare the rod and spoil the child ) It's certainly not fine now so hopefully more appropriate ways of dog training will become a little more widespread in years to come.
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agility People

I would just like to make it known that I do agility with 2 of my dogs one of whom has just started competing.
    The club I belong to has in their code of conduct [which you have to sign up to to join] it states very clearly that harsh handling of any sort will not be tolerated at all and members will be asked to leave.Also no choke chains allowed.

I was sort of told off for using to harsher tone with Timmy when we first started.Tha t is how strict they are.

I was at an agility competion last Saturday and on 2 occasions handlers were warned abou their conduct.One grabbed hold of the dogs collar and pulled him towards her quite agressively when he ran off course, the other smaked his nose for stopping to eat horse poo half way round the course.

So please do not think bad of agility folk There will always be the minority who spoil it for the majority

Post Thanks / Like

The club I belong to has in their code of conduct [which you have to sign up to to join] it states very clearly that harsh handling of any sort will not be tolerated at all and members will be asked to leave.
    Very pleased to hear this. When I used to do agility my club was similar. I travelled quite a way to go there. It's all a case of getting a good club, whether it is agility, obedience or training.

I like to think that it is the minority of agility people who mistreat their dogs, and the majority just enjoy it.
    Jan
    Owned by Rufus (B&T) and Piper (Border Terrier) and in loving memory of 12 years of Toby joy (Tri cavalier) - waiting at the rainbow bridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do think it is the minority -- same for obedience.

For anyone looking for tons and tons of great training advice including videos and the online FREE version of parts of Dr Ian Dunbar's Before and After you get your Puppy (also excellent for general dog problems in chapter 6) check out Dog Star Daily. Please let other dog lovers know about this wonderful resource.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com