Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for Molly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help for Molly

Can anyone please offer suggestions for Molly. At the moment Molly is on 3 gabapentin (100mg each) three times a day. At the moment she is not too good, I had her at the vets this morning as at the moment she is lame on her back right leg and she is dragging it, the vet thinks she has some muscle damage from constantly scatching, her leg is constantly in the air scratching, she is struggling at the moment as she is unable to lift her leg up to sctatch her neck. Molly is able to get onto the chair or sofa but she cannot get down, she will cry to gey down, it obviously hurts her to look down and jump down, she is not crying out in pain, only when she wants to get off the chair or if she is picked up she may now and again cry. Molly was diagnosed with SM last July, she was seen at Geoff Skerritt's and had a full body MRI done, she was diagnosed with cervical syrinx extending from C1 - C5 occupying over 70% of her cord, cerebella herniation through the foramen magnum and enlarged lateral ventricles. I have tried to get on to the yahoo talk site but have had difficulties??? So if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would love to hear from you, I have arranged to take molly in two weeks to Chester gates again for Molly to be checked out again. Many thanks, Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah,
    I'm sorry you are going through this with Molly I don't really have any advice, but I just wanted to respond. It seems like you are doing all of the right things, and I'm sure other people on this board with SM experience will be able to offer some advice
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

I have no advice either, sorry. But this breaks my heart. I hope she feels better soon.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are two Yahoo based support groups, I run one of them and am happy to set you up if you'd like as I can make you a member using the info I have from your registration.

You definitely need to talk to Geoff Skerritt again. That's a pretty long syrinx but the width is more important as that is what influences the level of pain. It sounds like it is also very wide. You probably need to up the pain meds and talk to Mr Skerritt about options going forward. I'm sending you a PM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you I will keep you posted

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry Molly is doing so poorly. Praying you are able to get her some help.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that Molly is going throught this
    I hope you find some help soon
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor little Molly, I hope an increase of painkillers will help. Please let us know how it goes. Does the condition progress so quickly? I see she was only diagnosed just over a year ago. I'm so sorry. for you and Molly. Oh, just thought, you could get steps for the sofa.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions

Sorry to hear about Molly. I have heard that some of these guys do better on combinations of drugs e.g. adding a drug that reduces CSF pressure (cimetidine, omeprazole, frusemide) and adding a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (e.g. previcox, rimadyl, metacam). Also if she is a big CKCS maybe she needs a higher dose of gabapentin. The document "CM/SM explained" produced by Clare Rusbridge goes into treatment options in more detail. I think there is a link to it in this site
    Gentle hugs for Molly
    Scrumpymum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    There are two Yahoo based support groups, I run one of them and am happy to set you up if you'd like as I can make you a member using the info I have from your registration.

You definitely need to talk to Geoff Skerritt again. That's a pretty long syrinx but the width is more important as that is what influences the level of pain. It sounds like it is also very wide. You probably need to up the pain meds and talk to Mr Skerritt about options going forward. I'm sending you a PM.
    Hi
    I wondered if you managed to set me up on your yahoo based support group? Thank you for your advice, I have now put Molly on 200mg of gapapentin 3 times a day, and she is having white willow along with 20mg of rimadyl twice a day. Thanks Sarah