• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help for Molly

Molly Mo

Can anyone please offer suggestions for Molly. At the moment Molly is on 3 gabapentin (100mg each) three times a day. At the moment she is not too good, I had her at the vets this morning as at the moment she is lame on her back right leg and she is dragging it, the vet thinks she has some muscle damage from constantly scatching, her leg is constantly in the air scratching, she is struggling at the moment as she is unable to lift her leg up to sctatch her neck. Molly is able to get onto the chair or sofa but she cannot get down, she will cry to gey down, it obviously hurts her to look down and jump down, she is not crying out in pain, only when she wants to get off the chair or if she is picked up she may now and again cry. Molly was diagnosed with SM last July, she was seen at Geoff Skerritt's and had a full body MRI done, she was diagnosed with cervical syrinx extending from C1 - C5 occupying over 70% of her cord, cerebella herniation through the foramen magnum and enlarged lateral ventricles. I have tried to get on to the yahoo talk site but have had difficulties??? So if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would love to hear from you, I have arranged to take molly in two weeks to Chester gates again for Molly to be checked out again. Many thanks, Sarah

Sarah,
I'm sorry you are going through this with Molly :( I don't really have any advice, but I just wanted to respond. It seems like you are doing all of the right things, and I'm sure other people on this board with SM experience will be able to offer some advice :flwr:

There are two Yahoo based support groups, I run one of them and am happy to set you up if you'd like as I can make you a member using the info I have from your registration.

You definitely need to talk to Geoff Skerritt again. That's a pretty long syrinx but the width is more important as that is what influences the level of pain. It sounds like it is also very wide. You probably need to up the pain meds and talk to Mr Skerritt about options going forward. I'm sending you a PM.

Sorry to hear that Molly is going throught this :flwr:
I hope you find some help soon :xfngr:

Poor little Molly, I hope an increase of painkillers will help. Please let us know how it goes. Does the condition progress so quickly? I see she was only diagnosed just over a year ago. I'm so sorry. :hug: :hug: for you and Molly. Oh, just thought, you could get steps for the sofa.

Suggestions

Sorry to hear about Molly. I have heard that some of these guys do better on combinations of drugs e.g. adding a drug that reduces CSF pressure (cimetidine, omeprazole, frusemide) and adding a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (e.g. previcox, rimadyl, metacam). Also if she is a big CKCS maybe she needs a higher dose of gabapentin. The document "CM/SM explained" produced by Clare Rusbridge goes into treatment options in more detail. I think there is a link to it in this site
Gentle hugs for Molly
Scrumpymum:flwr:

There are two Yahoo based support groups, I run one of them and am happy to set you up if you'd like as I can make you a member using the info I have from your registration.

You definitely need to talk to Geoff Skerritt again. That's a pretty long syrinx but the width is more important as that is what influences the level of pain. It sounds like it is also very wide. You probably need to up the pain meds and talk to Mr Skerritt about options going forward. I'm sending you a PM.

Hi
I wondered if you managed to set me up on your yahoo based support group? Thank you for your advice, I have now put Molly on 200mg of gapapentin 3 times a day, and she is having white willow along with 20mg of rimadyl twice a day. Thanks Sarah

You might want to ask the vet about Tramadol for pain. If you start to use it, make sure she has a fish oil gel cap every day to help combat constipation.

Also, Metacam has been very helpful for Geordie when he needs a little more pain relief than Gabapentin provides. You have to be careful with the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories though because they do have side effects in some dogs and are not meant for long term use.

I agree with Scrumpymum that she would most likely benefit from a drug to reduce her CSF pressure. Your vet will help choose the right one for her.

I hope you'll see some improvement soon. :flwr:

Back