• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pros vs Cons 3 or 4 mo. puppy

JoanS

I'm planning on adding a puppy to our family and would appreciate your insights as to the advantages or disadvantages between a 12 week or 4 month old. Also, my Casey is a 8-1/2 yr. M Tri. Does anyone think that a female would be a better choice, or doesn't it really matter?
Thanks for your help!

i'd pick a 4 month old puppy.
they are usually more mature and ready for potty training.
they are just as cute as a 3 month old puppy!

Joan,

Ask the breeder what the temperment of the two pups are like, I'm sure she will be able to try and match a suitable temperment for your own older dog, is Casey still very playful or quiet? if he is quiet then I would rather lean towards the quiet pup on the other hand if he is still playful and will tolerate all the ear tugging and racing around then perhaps the more outward going pup would be better for him. At his age I would give him alot of consideration with the choice especially if he has been an only dog. Is it possible to take Casey to meet the pups before you pick one?
I would be more interested in making sure that the two would be compatible than the age/colour/sex TBH. Pups all grow up very quickly so don't worry about the difference in the 4wks.

Ask the breeder and tell her what your other dog is like.

Alison.

Puppy

I agree with Alison - def ask about the two pups temermants and personalities and think about which is more likely to get on with your own dog. When introducing a puppy into the home it tend not matter too much whether they are male of female (unless you have a recently bred bitch) and this is especially true if your own dog has been staralised because most pups will be submissive to the current dog in the home. However, if your own dog is particularly unwilling to get along with other dogs the opposite sex may make it a bit easier.

Ususlly the older they are the more responsive they will be to you and they will have a longer attention span, but 4 weeks really isn't going to make a very dramatic difference.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I've already discussed Casey with the breeder (he chose the pups accordingly), and then I took Casey along to meet the two pups. It went very well with both of them. I'm leaning very much towards the 4 mo. old male -- Alfie. Because of having to be away the 20th and 21st for jury duty I've got to wait to bring him home -- it's soooo hard to wait!
Joan

Back