• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

best dry food

mummy2millie

currently millie is on beta puppy food and a small bag was provided when we brought her home last saturday, on monday when she went vets for 1st injections the vet recommended hills science plan we do have sample bag but not tried her yet as wanted to wait week till she settled in! but on the forum ive seen james wellbeloved mentioned aswell as royal canin, as millie is my first cav and we want the best for her:luv: has anyone got any suggestions is any nutrionally better:confused:

Hills Science is pretty poor in my opinion. I also recommend James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin. Don't use up all your beta puppy food, you'll need to mix it with the new food over a week, increasing amounts of the new food in ratio to the old as the week goes on.

I use Royal Canin. When I brought Ollie home first he was on Hills Science plan but he seems to prefer RC and I find he poops much better with it :D

Dry Food

I use Royal Canin or Hills Science Plan for my dogs. The puppy food in both of these is great too - they love it, I have never had a problem getting it into a dog! - and Royal Canin do a spacific CKC food for when your little one gets older.

Hi

One of my favorite topics of which i have asked loads of questions of members over time .Settled on .
1) Burns
2)Royal Canin
3)JWB

One of my favorite topics

:lol: That's true!!

There are many many opinions on foods and diets.

IMHO, Hills is a so-so food that is quite expensive for what you get -- the latter point is the main issue I'd have -- why pay so much when you can get better quality for less? I would place it in medium-range for foods -- better than the supermarket brands but certainly not a great quality for the cost. Similar quality foods cost quite a bit less as is clear from comparing ingredients. A lot of vets sell Hills as the company is the main supplier of special medical diets and thus vets will often also sell the regular cat and dog food. That makes sense for the vets, but I think there are better options for dog owners.

One point as well is that most nutritionists and breeders feel there not only is no reason to feed special puppy foods but that these can potentially cause problems. This is especially true with giant breeds but most good breeders I know are very firm about avoiding puppy foods. The reason is that there are lots of extra vitamins and minerals and many feel this accelerates growth in a way that isn't normal. After all in the wild, pups do not get extra nutritional supplements... I think a quality standard diet is the best option.

In the UK you have lots of choices. I do like RC and JWB myself. Arden Grange is also very good as is Burns, but the latter two are hard to find in Ireland. There are lots of other options too in the UK and also mail order from www.zooplus,.co.uk (I order food at times from zooplus.ie -- they have sites in many countries and food is shipped from the German base. They have very high quality European and other foods some as Almo Nature etc).

So you have lots of options!

Hello, my pup is four months old, and he has been on Royal Canin Junior Mini so far, he likes it , am going to gradually switch to Orijen Pup, which is recommeneded by my vet and sounds better to me

Greetings

Chiara from Italy

Hey
My puppy is 20 weeks old and I feed james wellbeloved....she loves it....actually she just loves food in general.Today i bought a small bag of wainwrights salmon and potato(pets at home version of JWB).....just for a wee change.
My 2 yr old adult was soooo picky and the only food she enjoyed was james wellbeloved.....so JWB is a winner in our house :)

We feed ours Burns. We've never had a problem with it. Their poo is pretty good, unless they've been chewing on something they shouldn't have!!! They also have different flavours which is great, so we alternate between chicken, lamb and fish. They also have a 'small breed' bag with smaller sized kibble which might be good for a puppy without actually being a puppy food.

We're lucky because our local vet is well stocked with Burns. Maybe if you enquire in your local vets or petshop they might start stocking it, or another alternative to Hills?

My two are on the JWB fish and rice - all that fussy miss Maddie would eat as a youngster, so when Pippin came along the poor lad didn't get a choice, he got the same! They have tried the new(ish) lamb and vegetable recently and enjoyed that as well.

I feed them on the Junior/performance one, as on the adult food Maddie doesn't keep her condition. It's because she's not a big eater, and goes very very skinny very very quickly on adult food. In fact, although they would both be greedy for treats, I'm lucky that they self-regulate their weight. I'm always complemented on how fit they are by both the other dog-walkers, and the vets as well, but can't really take the credit. They will leave food in the bowl if they've had enough, so don't put on weight. :D All the running and playing they do probably helps as well. :dogwlk:

thanks for all the replys i really appreciate it, i think im warming towards jwb im gonna get small bag to see if she likes it and gradually swop from the beta that she is on at the mo.
can i also ask i read on here that chesse was ok to give as treat for traing etc i have been using cheese and she loves it and is sitting to command in just few days but when i told my mum i used cheese she was "are you ok to use cheese never heard that before" so now shes worried me:confused:
michelle xx

I feed my two jwb and they both seem to love it:) When I got Ziggy back in January this year he came to me on beta puppy food. My friend said there was better foods out there and sugested a few brands.With her being a vet I trusted her and went for Eukanuba to begin with Ziggy hated it with passion then I changed him to jwb and never looked back. Dotty came into our lives two weeks ago and had always been fed Royle Canine but has been fine on jwb.

Michelle

Amber has JWB & loves it.
Occasionally she'll have Royal Canin, but only if there's some JWB in her bowl too!

"are you ok to use cheese never heard that before" so now shes worried me:confused:

A small piece of cheese is very handy for giving tablets/capsules etc. Just a very thin slice,warm it in your hands and make a ball of it with the meds in the middle - goes down first time every time. I wouldnt give TOO much cheese though, as it contains salt.

James Well Beloved for our 3, they seem to enjoy it, and we rarely have any tummy upsets,

Another vote for JWB for my two. And I use cheese as a special training treat (recalls mainly) but only in very tiny pieces.

Both mine are on JWB. Alfie was really poorly and used to scratch his tummy he seemed worse with poultry. Vet suggested we try fish. JWB Ocean white fish has cured all scratching and he has such a lovely shiny coat now. I buy the 7.5 kg bags from The Range.

today we introduce jwb turkey & rice with her beta food and she ate it no probs will introduce bit more ofver next few feeds and also see how her poop is:xfngr: is there any othere sypmtoms i should look out for also er bought her a puppy kong today what sort of things should i put in and please excuse for being silly but how do they stay in :eek:.
millie is settling in really well & sits to command and also gets in her crate to command also in week and half im more than pleased with her:D
michelle xx

Back