Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke Xmas Present; Laptop ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Luke Xmas Present; Laptop ?

Hi
    After much thought I have arrived at a Laptop for Luke( just 13) for Xmas and I thought I would Poll other members opinions on different manufacturers regarding reliability and customer service and who members think are the best and the worst .I use a Dell XPS laptop which Ive had no problem with and its 3 yrs old and have just ordered an Acer G71c which i should get in 10 days and Lukes main comp is a whacking big custom made desktop with dual graphic cards in sli mode and twin hard drives in 0 array plus all the other essentials for an expensive bespoke gaming computer .As at the present time he uses his computer for homework but as he also uses it when allowed for gaming but I often have to do a wipe and a clean install of Windows, and as hes already got every gadget I can think of ( I know Karlin is a technophobe so she may think of something ) I thought if I get him a laptop he can use it just for school work ,so budget wise somewhere around £4-500 .So peoples comments pls on their own computers reliability and just as important customer service response of their makes would be welcome.

Tks
    Brian

Ps Is it this Sudays Daily Telegraph our wonder woman Margaret is starring in ,and is it the same edition here as in North of the border if not I will buy two and send one up by same day courier.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a Dell Optiplex which I use for business as well as gaming etc. It's a real workhorse and I have never had any problems with it. Before I got the Optiplex, I had a dimension and it too was a great computer. I've no experience of laptops but I have heard from a few people that they don't have as long a life as desktops.
    As for aftersales service; I have always found Dell extremely helpful.
    I caused a few problems to my own system and a Dell engineer phoned me and talked me through a clean install. I will definitely purchase my next puter from them

I have no ties to Dell - I'm just a very happy customer.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a dell and find it great. I've never had any trouble with it. I bought a dell for OH last xmas and when it arrived the week before xmas the display was broken. I phoned them and a dell engineer came down to our house the next day and fixed it. I was very impressed by how quickly it was dealt with.

Ps - I also have no ties with Dell.
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

We both have Apple MacBook Pro laptops and love them! My mom has the Apple iBook (I think) and she really likes it. I don't think you can get viruses with Macs...what a nice gift for Luke, lucky kid!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Dell laptop that I use for work, and we have iBooks and MacBooks at home. Almost all of us who travel at work use Dells because they just seem to hold up. Me, I prefer my Mac, but my Dell is just fine for work.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,
    My son has a Applemac, hubby has an IBM Lenova and I use a Dell, never had any probs with any of them. My son uses his Applemac 24/7 he lives and breathes with it and uses it for college every day, he gets his moneys worth out of it.

My Dell seems to be very robust....it had a mug of tea over the keyboard the other evening ....it spent the day upside down (thanks Claire for the tips!) and has bounced back just fine don't think I would try that again though LOL.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke is lucky having a laptop for christmas. I don't own one myself, I use my daughters Toshiba Equium when she is either out or at work . It's been very reliable (touch wood). My youngest daughter as a Acer Aspire and that is slower then the Toshiba.

I so want my own laptop for christmas.
    Andrea
    Jasper tri
    21/Dec/05, Gabby ruby girl 8/Nov/07, and Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got no advice for you on lap tops but l just wanted to say Luke's going to be made up when he opens it on christmas day, what a great prezzie
    Elaine and Cody

Post Thanks / Like

Brian

I bought a laptop last year (Packard Bell EasyNote) from www.europc.co.uk. They actually sell refurbished computers and laptops but don't let this put you off. Most of what they sell are machines that have been bought in the likes of PC World, Currys and Dell but have been returned when the customer decided it was not what they wanted. As these cannot be resold as brand new by the shops, they sell them on to the likes of Europc.

When I got my laptop, it was sold as refurbished but was in fact brand new - it still had all the protective plastic strips etc on. It was also a good spec at a fraction of the cost as it would have been if I went to PC World. My mum has since bought a laptop from them (Dell) and is very happy with hers.

It's well worth a look, even if it is just to compare prices.

I don't really have any recommendations as what to buy, I just thought I would recommend the site to you.

Happy laptop hunting
    Sarah

Mum of Rosie (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brian - as I've been working for Hewlett Packard for the last 8 years I can and should only recommend HP as the one to go for

Happy shopping....

P.S I cant believe we are discussing Christmas already and we haven't even reached Halloween yet!!
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx