Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: house training a 7yr old outdoor dog

Post Thanks / Like

Default House Training

House training dgos who have become set in their ways can be a tricky situation but it definately is not impossible. I tend to bring them out (let them do the walking themselves unless it is totally impossible, because it reinforces where they are going) to the garden every hour to go, give them 5/10 mins and then go back in and try again another hour later until they go (and masses of praise is given... maybe even a nice treat!). If they do go in the house, bringing the dog to where they went and showing it to them (but don't shove their faces in it, that's terrible), saying a very firm "no/bold etc" and putting them out for a few mintues gives them the messege that they are bold and this is the place to go. It will take a good bit of patience but I have done this with several dogs and it does work (even though your own sanity will be tested!)

I agree with Karlin that you should treat the new dog as a rescue - home life will be very different for her and she will need time to get used to it. Establishing that you are the good guy may take time but all the hard work will pay off - good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i live in gloucester but the 'breeder' is not in gloucester

Post Thanks / Like

Have PM'd you,

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly wouldn't touch a puppy from this individual.As for housetraining a 7 year old....technically it can be done,seeing as you have two dogs that she could learn from. It all depends on whether or not the dog is used to people and is able to interact with people and other dogs.
    A family member of mine has an almost nine year old ex breeding bitch who was kept outside who adapted with a fair amount of effort. She has a double heart murmur which was known about in advance from a pre placement vet check.She's most likely going to need medication shortly.
    With a dog like you describe, you need to accept that your time with her may be limited, her lifespan and health may be compromised and that you'll need to spend a lot on vet bills for an old girl like that.
    It is pretty much like taking a rescue dog with all the committment and understanding it takes.If you feel this dog has a home with you, then don't offer a penny for this poor creature.As often happens when one bitch exits it creates a vacancy for a new inmate.
    If however a puppy is what you want, that you can raise and bond with as it grows, then that it what you should do.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I took my Cody in when she was 8 years old and Ive had her 16 months and l wouldn't change a thing, she was an ex breeding girl she had a couple of accidents at first but it didn't take her long to learn, I'd do it all again with another oldie she's brought us so much joy
    She has a heart murmur but as yet she's on no meds, just check up's at the vets
    Elaine and Cody