• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tinned food - how long does it keep once opened?

rosiesmum

I feed Rosie Butchers Tripe Mix - 1/4 tin twice a day. She also gets a small handful of Royal Canin no 27 in the evening about 9pm. Every other day or two she will get a greenie or a piece of denta stick (not a whole one as they are quite big) to help with her teeth.

I have now started adding a small handful (about 20 or so bits of kibble) to her wet food - obviously reducing the amount about tinned food to compensate. But by doing this, the tin of food will last longer. Normally, the tin would be opened in the morning and will be used up the following evening (4 meals). I do not refrigerate the can, but I do put it in a ziplock plastic bag in a cool place. At the most, it is bagged for about 34 hours.

So, what I am asking is, is it safe enough to keep bagged through to the next meal, ie 48 hours opened?

Thanks

It really needs to be refrigerated after opening -- leaving it out is very risky (just as you wouldn't leave a piece of meat on the counter for a day and a half and still eat it). A tin will keep in the fridge for a week or so. I definitely do not think it very safe to leave it out in a bag for 48 hours. Not good for you to be handling food left out that long either.

Tinned Food

I would transfer if to another container (eg. a lunchbox) and def keep it in the fridge for maybe a day, I wouldn't keep it any longer.

Have you thought about feeding only dry food? It can be wetted for small pups and there are loads of varieties out there that there will be one to suit your own dogs need! Plus it can be kept for much longer than tinned.

The only reason why I wasn't putting it in the fridge was because I had read on here (somewhere!) that you shouldn't feed dogs cold food because it upsets their tummies.

If that's the case, how long would it need to be out of the fridge before feeding to her?

Sorry for sounding stupid, but I've not been feeding her tinned food for long - she was a very finiky eater when she was on dry food, so after she had her teeth cleaned, the vet said to give her tinned food for a couple of days as her gums would be sore. I tried her on the Butchers and immediately I had a changed dog. She now LOVES meal times. I don't want her on wet food completely because I want to avoid dental problems.

I wouldn't leave meat longer than 3 days. I don't transfer it to a container myself but it isn't good to leave food in an opened tin.

I keep both tripe (from a can) and frozen raw meat medallions (thawed) in the fridge for about 3, no more than 5 days. I take them out in shifts. They are in a plastic container with a tight lid. I also keep canned cat food in the fridge, with a very tight lid, for about 3 days. The dogs and the cats are given the food cold, straight from the fridge, and they don't seem to mind. Especially the dogs - they're fast eaters :rolleyes:

Back