• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Annual Vet Visit

I also have a big cavalier who is prone to weight gain if I let him. Check the calorie count on the food you're giving Poppy. I know that when I checked RC light it was higher in calorie than the one I give Oliver. I feed him Artemis, which is about 100 calories less per cup than RC light. I don't know how Burns compares to that, but it's worth checking out. And I only give him one half cup of food per day. I feel cruel, but any more than that and he gains weight.

I have a rescue here (picked her up today) that needs to shed a bit of weight. We will probably start her on 3/8ths of a cup per day (actually 3/16ths twice a day) and see how she does. If she is still hungry-- frozen green beans are a great way to fill the stomach and it is cool and refreshing on the mouth.

Pumpkin and fresh veggies help too. More fiber, less calories.

I'm sorry to hear the not so good news about Poppy. She's a very pretty girl. I hope everything goes okay with her.

Hi Davy

Sorry I must admit Poppys weight is due to my laxness so i have started again today ,her bowl weighs 260 gr and I give her exactly 30 gr of Burns High Oats and beans ,broccoli and carrots and a small squirt of salmon oil and my wife feeds her 1 Markies at bedtime and that will be her strict regime from now on ,I had a search for Artemis food but I cant find it in the UK. The vet practice I go to has four resident vets and on Friday I mentioned the SM problem and surprisingly was told that in total only Mr Marsden had referred only one Cav ever for a scan with a probable SM problem .Exercise for the girls is difficult sometimes in the week due to taxi service for Luke and his Karate but they do get walks at strange hours ,but at the weekend its normally 3 good walks a day .We went out at 2.45 PM around the seafront and on the beach this afternoon got back at 5.15 pm for tea time then bath time then getting ready for bed IE a good comb and brush then clean their teeth with doggy paste then again with logic gel then 1/2 logic gel (calories ) chew each,oh I forgot Luke had a chip batch and an ice cream cornet i just pinched a few chips and then a cornet and the girls had nothing apart from a long walk and hopefully lots of fun,and we all sat down finally at 7.PM I am now watching some rugby and they are snoring away on their Skytrans sheepskin mats .Below the front by Moreton and New Brighton and L/pools new waterfront

http://flickr.com/photos/22730263@N07/2952787572/

http://flickr.com/photos/22730263@N07/2952879838/

Great pictures, Brian! I love Poppy's looks -- tell her I think she's beautiful since she's probably sensitive about her weight! ;)

Does everyone here give the Lepto shot? My breeder told me never to give it because she knows people who have lost their cavaliers after bad reactions to that particular vaccine. She also said it's treatable with antibiotics if Daisy does get lepto. Therefore, I have never had Daisy get the shot. It kind of worries me, but then again, she's never out in the woods, and I never let her drink from puddles or lakes, so maybe there's not much chance of her getting it anyway.

Not sure what to do. I'd like to hear if everyone gives their dogs the lepto vaccine. If most people give it, and no one here has had problems with it, I may change my mind about it. I have been following the breeder's advice so far, and the vet didn't seem too upset about my decision not to give it, so I haven't questioned it too much.

Please note that I'm not anti-vaccine. Daisy gets her rabies, distemper, parvo, bordatella, etc. all right on schedule. It's just that one that Daisy's breeder vehemently warned me against.

No, not everyone gives it. I depends on where you live and how your dogs run outside. The shot for lepto isn't complete and it doesn't last a year (from the most recent info I have). If I had a field dog that could tolerate it-- I would give it every six months. But my dogs don't get into stagnant water.
Ask you vet how many cases of lepto he's seen this year-- My vet told me he has seen none, but there were two cases reported in our county last year. I live in rural/suburbia-- everything from cows/horses to malls.
My first cavalier had a moderate reaction to lepto. The last time we gave it she couldn't move(well, she walked like she had arthritis really bad) and she had diarrhea. If you picked her up she screamed.

Does everyone here give the Lepto shot?

My breeder also said NO lepto, and even the vet said it is a pretty worthless vaccine...not very effective. The vet's office said they routinely advise owners of small dogs to NOT get the lepto.

This is my breeder's vaccination schedule taken from an email we exchanged concerning what Bandit would get at 8 weeks and then what I would be following up with...

DHPP at 8 weeks, although after the last seminar I attended, I'm thinking of just doing Parvo alone first and a half dose at that. I'll see if she has just Parvo at the clinic. If not, it will be DHPP. Then, 3 to 4 weeks later, he gets another DHPP and then 3-4 weeks DHPP again for the last. If you can hold off with Rabies for at least a month after the last vaccine, that would be great. Then, at one year of age, he'll get a DHPP booster and then nothing else for at least 3 years.

I've never even been offered Lepto by my vet for any of my dogs, and I had a German Shepherd for 12 years before I had Cavaliers so we're talking way back in time here since my oldest Cavalier is now well over 7.

I've never even been offered Lepto by my vet for any of my dogs, and I had a German Shepherd for 12 years before I had Cavaliers so we're talking way back in time here since my oldest Cavalier is now well over 7.

In the Chicago land outlying area-- chances of getting lepto is considered a low risk. My vet doesn't give it to toy breeds anymore unless you ask for it.

Hi

Dropped Tammy my cat off at the vets at 8.00 am today so just :(have to wait and see what happens ,also have to take my wife Dawn to see her consultant at 3.30 pm hopefully to get the all clear on the horrible leg operation she had and also to book her in for the other leg to be done but this time under general anesthetic not local.:(

:xfngr: Tammy's op goes well.

Can I just ask why the vets shouldn't inject in the scruff of the neck which is where mine does both our cats and dogs??

:xfngr: Tammy's op goes well.

Can I just ask why the vets shouldn't inject in the scruff of the neck which is where mine does both our cats and dogs??

My vet knows all my cavaliers get injections in the muscle of the thigh or in the pooch of skin in the leg. I don't want to inject ANYTHING that may cause irritation, swelling or reaction anywhere near my dogs brain.

Hi

Took Tammy back on Friday for an injection of anti-biotics rather than pills and Mr Kendall told us to keep her confined but to fetch her back on Tuesday for more anti-biotics and probable stitches out on Friday .But this morning Mr Kendall phoned my wife and said it was cancer and unfortunately its progressive ,though she appears fine and is eating and drinking so I will keep her attending the vets for whatever treatment is advised and hope that she has many more days ahead of her and face that horrible decision when her illness starts affecting her quality of life.Poor Tammy.:(

I'm sorry to hear of Tammy's diagnosis Brian. Before we got Jake I had a cat, KT, who was diagnosed with abdominal lymphoma and given about 2 months left.....she was with us for a full 18 months!! We always made sure she had a good quality of life and we knew when it was time to release her. Hoping you have many many more good days with Tammy.

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about Tammy, I'll be thinking of her and hoping she will have a good quality of life for as long as possible. :hug:

Brian, so sorry to hear about Tammy. I will be thinking of her and of you. I hope she has a long, good quality of life, and that if/when the time comes, she will make it clear to you.

Back