• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harness, any advice please

meljoy

Hi, Took Leo to the vet yesterday as he's scratching at his ears! After a full examination she said he has an infection in his ears and has prescribed ear drops. She said there were no other clinical signs of SM (But Im watching him like a hawk now) anyway she suggested walking him on a harness as Cavaliers have sensatives necks anyway.
Can anyone suggest a good one. Ive noticed a few threads on puppia. Are they the best?
Not sure which one to get....any advice welcome,

Thanks

Mel X:rah:

I use the Up-Country harnesses for my SM girl and for my boy who has the skull malformation but no syrinxes yet. They both seem comfortable in them and they're easy to put on. Nothing goes over their heads.

Gorgeous Claire:), perfect for your girlies, they have such a super selection, I want them all.....:rolleyes:. Hope they ship to Ireland!

Last edited:
I bought smalls for Oz and Riley. Oz weighs 15 pounds 8 ounces (around 7 kg) and Riley weighs about 13 pounds (close to 6 kg). I just tighten Riley's more than Oz's - I think the extra small would be too little. I also just bought a medium for my big boy Oliver who weighs in at a whopping 25 pounds (big boy - not fat). He pulls on his lead a lot, and I thought he might not pull as much with a harness. I bought them at a pet store near me. The website (www.upcountryinc.com) has so many more cool patterns than what was available to me. Riley is black and tan and I got one for her that is mostly pink. Oz is a tri with a black blanket coat and looks stunning in his powder blue design. Oliver is a blenheim - so almost anything would look good on him. The pink and powder blue really stand out against the black fur. My fashion conscious dogs!!! Sorry, but I don't know if they will ship overseas. Good luck.

Meljoy, I've been incredibly happy with the Puppia harness. In fact, Kingston owns four of them. I ordered the last one from K9 InStyle because they offer free shipping.

Thanks everyone.

There's lots to look at. Time to get the credit card out I think!!

Mel:rah:

Gentle Leader

I use a gentle leader head harness for my Cav. She hated it at first, but it is very effective. No pressure on neck/back or underarms either.

I also use the harness that is like the ones made by upcountry. I am not sure if they also make the one I bought. I got it at Petsmart
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751659
(Here is just one pattern...they have lots if you pull up harnesses and scroll through them all)

Here is the same thing in basic colors that is much less expensive:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751407

Both at petsmart.
I really like it. It goes on easily and and comes off with one hand and fits comfy.

Back