• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bailey doesn't want food - advice please

Ejay

Hi all,

some of you may have read my earlier (long) post about my 6 month old Bailey and her health troubles to date.

She's currently being treated as a precaution for lung worm and having 1g sachet of panacur powder which i am giving her on her evening meal. The first evening (fri) was fine, she ate with no probs, since then she is pretty much off her food. The last two nights i have had to hand feed her to make sure she gets the panacur, but this is a long process and she really isn;t interested in eating :( she doesn't want her breakfast in the morning and she usually eats it all up.

She is sleeping a lot, a little more than usual, and just appears not right (no wagging of the tail unless something is very exciting).

I'm going to ring the vet first thing, but just wondering if anyone knows if this is likely to be a side effect of the meds?

any advice would be greatly recieved.

Bandit hated that Panacur powder and vomited it up. It made him feel real sick. It may be that is what it is doing to Bailey. Paste form might be better.

I do hope Bailey feels better soon! so sorry she is unwell.

You might want to talk to your vet. They may have suggestions, or a different form of the medicine, but in any case they would want to know she's lost her appetite. Hope she feels better soon. :flwr:

well i'm back from the vets, Bailey had blood tests and then threw up on me when she came for a cuddle afterwards :yuk:... such a lucky lady aren't i!
blood tests will be back on weds and til then i have to syringe glutalyte into her (lucozade for dogs). vet said if she keeps being sick or gets worse she'll have to go in and placed on a drip :cry*ing:i'm really worried about her, i just hope she's ok.
she ate a little bit of tuna fish this morning, and am going to try and tempt her with some freshly cooked chicken this evening, i just hope she starts eating soon.

I am so sorry Bailey is still sick. I was hoping today would see an improvement. The chicken might be good for her. I know when I've had one with a very upset tummy, the vet has told me to feed plain, boiled chicken and steamed or boiled rice for several days.

I sure hope you get some answers soon.:xfngr:

í'm sorry to hear that Bailey is still unwell....I hope she´ll respond well to the medication :xfngr:

Thanks everyone,
Bailey is still very lathargic with her tail down between her legs :(, all she did last night was sleep on me, and this morning also, but i managed to get her to eat a little last night and this morning (although this is such a tiny amount compared to what she will usually take) but something is better than nothing.
i have also been syringing fluids into her, both rehydration fluids and water, so at least she has some fluids in her also. I have to go to work shortly, but only in for 4 hours and my next door neighbour is gonna check in on her, so fingers crossed she'll be ok.
blood tests are back tomorrow so maybe they'll be able to tell us something?:xfngr:

I thought when they vomited or had diaherea that you were not to give them solids. I think I read somewhere about children's pedylite to help with electrolytes. Hali had terrible diarrea where young and if she would not drink I would syringe liquid into her small little mouth. Maybe a little honey in her water? Hope she improves. I hate when they are sick. Good Luck, Debbie

So sorry you are still having problems with Bailey's health, it must be so worrying for you, and when they do not eat it realy does make you concerned.
One of the best things I have found when I have had a poorly dog is natures own food, HONEY, given on a spoon, my dogs think it is simply the best. It has so much goodness in it that when dogs are not eating it realy does help. The other use for honey is getting pills down so worth a try if you are still struggling.
Hope she improves soon for you.:lotsaluv:

Back