• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Which of harness for SM cavalier?

Renie

Hi, I would like to ask an advise. I suppose, my dog has SM or very similar problem. He has 9 years, he always was sensitive on his neck, which coused scratching, but nothing serious. Now it is worse - when he is on collar and leash outside, it makes him to scratch very often. So I bought harness (on photo), but there is no improvement. Is it bad type of harness probably? Do you think, that puppia would be better? And one more question - it seems, it is not only his neck, what made him to scratch, but some points about front legs or hip too - could it be in case of SM? Thank you for your reply.

2960239755_f547419351_o.jpg

It looks like a nice, well-fitting harness, so I doubt that is the issue. Has he always scratched like that, or is it this time of year? During season changes many dogs can have allergies like people. I wouldn't jumpto the SM conclusion if scratching is the ONLY symptom. If he is "air scratching"...then maybe.

The harness looks good. I would rule out everything else first if you are worried. I suspect SM with one of mine, and after exhausting all other tests, we put her on pain meds and she feels much better.

Thank you Chloe. Yes, it is air-scratching and it only comes, when I stroke and scrubble him under ears or when he is on the collar and he pulls. There is some point, which initialize his air-stratching. And he does it after swimming in the river, when he is complete wet too. He always did so, but not so often like in the last months. I am sure, it is not allergy. He doesn´t suffer from pain, so the only problem for us is the walk on the lead.

SM Harness

In refrence to the harness, it looks like it fits well and should be fine. If you are worried, perhaps a harness that does not rub off the neck (see picture, from zooplus.ie) would be a good option (but if the dog does not seem uncomfortble there is probably no need).

13760_3.jpg

The best thing to do is keep an eye on your dog, but if there is no pain or severe symptoms (and the dog is happy and healthy) there is no need for major concern.

I use the upcountry step in harnesses for Riley, who has SM and for Oz, who has the malformation but no syrinxes. They seem very comfortable in them.

I use the step in harness with a loose fit. It worked for Charlie who had severe SM and also works for Geordie who has a milder form of SM.

Back