Thread: Shaved patch itchy - can anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shaved patch itchy - can anyone help?

Hi all,

my little Bailey had blood tests on Monday and they shaved a patch on the underside of her neck. problem with this is she appears to be itchy now in this spot. is there anyting anyone can suggest that i can do to stop her from itching?

any ideas/advice would be very welcome
    Emily with her furry monsters
    Cariad (Ruby) Jan 2009 & Lily (Westie) May 2007

Gone but never forgotten... Baby Bailey (Blenheim) 10th April 2008~25.02.09

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I wondered why they shaved Dylan's neck, only noticed once we got home. His shaved arms itch. I think it will pass, just try to distract, that's what I do.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it was to take blood for a test as they like to get a clear view of the vein or artery rather than prod about . Just a thought as my girl had her leg shaved once to give a DNA sample.
    Anne

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I read these mails wrong and answered wrong question! Methinks I'll go to bed before I make more cock ups !!
    Anne

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This may have given Bailey a slight rash. Try a little vaseline smoothed on the shaved spot. It won't do any harm & it may help.

Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably be in this same position in a day or so. Oliver (7+ years old) had his teeth cleaned and they removed a cyst from right in front of his ear. It is closed with two stitches and I worry that he will start scratching as it begins to heal. I've had stitches before and they do itch like crazy as they're healing. So if anyone has any ideas other than distraction (thanks Pauline!) please let us know.

(Oops just saw Margaret's post. Will try vaseline if necessary)
    Last edited by Love my Cavaliers; 21st October 2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: new posting
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Vaseline sounds good. I used Aqueous cream on Sally when she had fur shaved and it seemed to work wonders. It doesn't have chemicals in either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another thing that might help, but I don't know if you have it in UK, is Bactine first aid spray. Our vet recommended it for India's incision after her knee surgery. Not only does it keep the area clean, but it also has a slight numbing effect and doesn't taste very good (to discourage licking).
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)