• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shaved patch itchy - can anyone help?

Ejay

Hi all,

my little Bailey had blood tests on Monday and they shaved a patch on the underside of her neck. problem with this is she appears to be itchy now in this spot. is there anyting anyone can suggest that i can do to stop her from itching?

any ideas/advice would be very welcome

Oh I wondered why they shaved Dylan's neck, only noticed once we got home. His shaved arms itch. I think it will pass, just try to distract, that's what I do.

Maybe it was to take blood for a test as they like to get a clear view of the vein or artery rather than prod about . Just a thought as my girl had her leg shaved once to give a DNA sample.
Anne

Sorry I read these mails wrong and answered wrong question! Methinks I'll go to bed before I make more cock ups !!
Anne

This may have given Bailey a slight rash. Try a little vaseline smoothed on the shaved spot. It won't do any harm & it may help.

Margaret C

I'll probably be in this same position in a day or so. Oliver (7+ years old) had his teeth cleaned and they removed a cyst from right in front of his ear. It is closed with two stitches and I worry that he will start scratching as it begins to heal. I've had stitches before and they do itch like crazy as they're healing. So if anyone has any ideas other than distraction (thanks Pauline!) please let us know.

(Oops just saw Margaret's post. Will try vaseline if necessary)

Last edited:
Vaseline sounds good. I used Aqueous cream on Sally when she had fur shaved and it seemed to work wonders. It doesn't have chemicals in either.

Another thing that might help, but I don't know if you have it in UK, is Bactine first aid spray. Our vet recommended it for India's incision after her knee surgery. Not only does it keep the area clean, but it also has a slight numbing effect and doesn't taste very good (to discourage licking).

Back