Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weight?

Whilst at the vets this morning they popped Star on the scales and she weighs 5.5 kilos which is about 11-12 lbs (i think ) Star's 6 months old now and I wondered if that's an average weight for a pup her age or if she's on the light side. Any ideas anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I would say thats nothing to worry about
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

The Kennel Club have a height/weight conversion chart (sorry couldnt paste it). Amber weighed exactly the same as your pup at 6 months. We find she looks great one week, too long in the body the next, then great, then too leggy, then really lovely, then too skinny etc etc. We shall just have to wait until all these little growth spurts are over and done with.

The Standard weight is somewhere between 12 and 18 lbs, but most are well over that. I wouldnt worry that she's underweight, she still has plenty of time to grow and 'body up'.........Well thats my i'm telling myself anyway!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would'nt say she was under weight ??? the 12-18lb is an adult guidline for breed standard
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that! She just looks tiny still to me, very leggy though! Just thought I'd ask coz saw a post on facebook that someone's 6 mth old pup weighed 16 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

Qnotje is now 6 months and I'm not sure how much she weighs but I do hope she has stopped growing in height cause she is so skinny and her legs are way too high
    But then again, it's a stage and I think she'll become a beatiful lady

As her breeder told me last month she is in a little less beautiful stage at the moment but she'll turn out very nice and I think all puppies have a fase like that
    Qwick °07-Feb-2000
    Qwebble °26-Jul-2006
    Qnotje °29-Mar-2008

Post Thanks / Like

My little black and tan female, Riley, weighed the same at 11 months. She filled out a bit and now weighs around 12.5-13 pounds. She is so petite looking, but really healthy looking, not frail or fragile. I think that my tri, Oz, wieghed about the same at 6 months. He now is close to 16 pounds at almost 16 months and looks great. Star could just end up being a little girl. I happen to like the little ones.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Sparks was very light for his age too when he was 6 months - he's 10 months now & is 13 pounds & I like him the size he is. (no offence to those with larger cavs)
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weight

Brought Alfie home yesterday at 18 weeks he weighed 10 pounds.
    He's all legs right now.
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Dottie was 14.9lbs when I brought her home from the breeder at 6 1/2mos. She is now 15 mos old and has leveled off at 16lbs since about a year old. This is a perfect weight for her frame and she weighs with mommy every week to make sure that she doesn't gain. She is doing fine, her mom on the other hand.... (Okay, so I need to lay off the brownies.)
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear