• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight?

sugarkane74

Whilst at the vets this morning they popped Star on the scales and she weighs 5.5 kilos which is about 11-12 lbs (i think :confused:) Star's 6 months old now and I wondered if that's an average weight for a pup her age or if she's on the light side. Any ideas anyone?

The Kennel Club have a height/weight conversion chart (sorry couldnt paste it). Amber weighed exactly the same as your pup at 6 months. We find she looks great one week, too long in the body the next, then great, then too leggy, then really lovely, then too skinny etc etc. We shall just have to wait until all these little growth spurts are over and done with.

The Standard weight is somewhere between 12 and 18 lbs, but most are well over that. I wouldnt worry that she's underweight, she still has plenty of time to grow and 'body up'.........Well thats my i'm telling myself anyway!!:)

I would'nt say she was under weight ??? the 12-18lb is an adult guidline for breed standard

Thanks for that! She just looks tiny still to me, very leggy though! Just thought I'd ask coz saw a post on facebook that someone's 6 mth old pup weighed 16 lbs :eek:

Qnotje is now 6 months and I'm not sure how much she weighs but I do hope she has stopped growing in height cause she is so skinny and her legs are way too high :)
But then again, it's a stage and I think she'll become a beatiful lady :)

As her breeder told me last month she is in a little less beautiful stage at the moment but she'll turn out very nice and I think all puppies have a fase like that ;)

Jasper has always been a little on the skinny side, and at 6 months old he weighed about 10 pounds. He's 11 months now, and I think he weighs around 13 or 14 pounds...I'm not sure. He's going to be on the smaller side for a Cavalier. His bone structure is pretty delicate, but that's the look the breeder is known for. I think most of her dogs are between 15 and 20 pounds.

Jaz is just now starting to fill out a little bit and lose the gangly adolescent look. Before now, he was like a colt--all legs and a skinny, awkward little body. Now he's starting to get a lot more feathering on his feet, tail, and ears, and he looks gorgeous. Maybe I'm biased? :D

I'd say your little one is right on track!

Lori

My little black and tan female, Riley, weighed the same at 11 months. She filled out a bit and now weighs around 12.5-13 pounds. She is so petite looking, but really healthy looking, not frail or fragile. I think that my tri, Oz, wieghed about the same at 6 months. He now is close to 16 pounds at almost 16 months and looks great. Star could just end up being a little girl. I happen to like the little ones.

I thought Sparks was very light for his age too when he was 6 months - he's 10 months now & is 13 pounds & I like him the size he is. (no offence to those with larger cavs)

Weight

Brought Alfie home yesterday at 18 weeks he weighed 10 pounds.
He's all legs right now.:)
Joan

Dottie was 14.9lbs when I brought her home from the breeder at 6 1/2mos. She is now 15 mos old and has leveled off at 16lbs since about a year old. This is a perfect weight for her frame and she weighs with mommy every week to make sure that she doesn't gain. She is doing fine, her mom on the other hand....:rolleyes: (Okay, so I need to lay off the brownies.)

Bailey is nearly 7 months and only weighs 3.3kg!!! she has been pretty unwell and the vets think it has affected her growth. so i would be very happy with 5.5kg at 6 months!!

he's 10 months now & is 13 pounds & I like him the size he is.

He'll likely get bigger than that though :) -- he will probably end up around 15-16 lbs I'd guess, perhaps more -- he still has some growing to do and males will keep filling out a bit til age 2 or so. Some are slow developers, some fast. Jaspar was about 12 months before his weight began to stabilise and probably about 18 months before he settled on his current weight, though he can go up and down a pound or so within that. Intact males in particular will definitely keep filling out and putting on some extra weight until 2-2.5 years old, according to show breeders.

she weighs 5.5 kilos which is about 11-12 lbs (i think ) Star's 6 months old now and I wondered if that's an average weight for a pup her age or if she's on the light side.

That's a good, normal -- not low -- weight for that age. She will likely put on a few more pounds yet as she is only 6 months old -- and end up at the middle to upper end of the breed standard but you never know for sure til they finish growing. They are all different!

:neutral:I think Charlie may be on the small side. He's 8 months old and weighs 10lbs. 8 oz. (4.7 kg), but he was very sick recently, and that weight was one week after his illness. He didn't really care for his Canidae food, so I have switched him to Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice. He eats less than the minimum recommended serving for his age. He eats that better than the Canidae, but still seems to prefer to scavenge the kitchen floor first in hopes of something tastier.

According to his breeder, he and his littermates and dam got sick on some bad Innova as pups. He's lagged in weight ever since. I keep hoping his appetite will improve.

Holly weighed 9.5 pounds at 6 months. She is from a litter of seven, with mom weighing 14 pounds and dad 16 pounds. Don't know if this helps, but it sounds like your girl is doing just great!

Maggie weighed 9 lbs when we brought her home at 81/2 months. She is now over 2 years old and weighs 12-13 lbs which the vet says is the ideal weight for her.

My Charlie is 21 lbs. The vet said he's just fine where he's at, but no more than that. He's a year and half old. For a while there he was really skinny and then in the last few months he's actually filled out and looks healthy.

The vet said he's not fat and he's not skinny anymore. He's perfect for his size. Thank God! because when he was little I practically had to beg him to eat! He still goes through his moods every once in a while where he doesn't want to eat. I've just learned not to worry so much. He'll eat when he's hungry. LOL!

Do girls weigh less than the boys?

Back