• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have a cavalier related problem..

Katelyn

Ok well heres the story..I know a lady who lives nearby me who has a beautiful female Cav. She's around two I think and her owner loves cavs but heres the problem..I really dont think this lady or her husband really understand cavaliers. They obviously havnt trained her properly because when shes inside she wees on the floor and they both go crazy at her screeching and they slap her bum..its not exactly abuse they dont slap her hard but its horrible to watch evertime she does something as small as standing up they scream LIE DOWN!!there not bad people they just dont seem to understand dogs they leave her outside almost all day theres a big shed she can go in but she rarely does she just scratches at the door and when she does they shout GO TO BED and then they say things like i'll kill that bloody dog!im not really sure what to do because I think they'll get offened if I say something its not like they abuse her she's fed every day and the lady does give her affection just most of the day shes stuck outside and they cant seem to understand its their own fault if she isnt fully trained. Shes also bolts out the front door and wont come back at all when its opened i mentioned that it could be because shes never walked but they said no cavs are just a naturally stupid breed I think they woud be suited for a totally different breed...sorry about the long post its just been at the back of my mind if i should do something..but i really do want to stress that these are actually very nice people they just have little patience and the husband thinks dogs are dogs and should stay outside and as long as they have food and shelter..all advice is very very welcome!!

Not having a go at you at all Katelyn, but....

People like that should not have a dog.....any dog.

You are right to be concerned.

I don't know, but for a soft breed like a Cavalier being shouted at and hit (no matter how gently) and being kept outside most of the time IS verging on a abuse, if it isn't there already!!! No wonder you're worried. It really doesn't sound like a Cav is the breed for them. Besides, I'm not sure a shed would offer much in the way of warmth or shelter to a Cav at this time of the year when it's getting colder!

That's really sad...would you ever offer to take the dog if they're willing to give it up to someone who would actually care for and love this little dog? Just an idea, it's nice that you're concerned and trying to help! :)

I dont think Id be able to take her,I have my own puppy and I babysit my Grans cav a lot too!im just really stuck I dont know what to do..

Perhaps you could offer to take the dog and then hand her over to a cavalier rescue? That way she would hopefully find a loving permanent home. It is difficult but this poor dog deserves a better life than she has. It is good that there are caring dog owners like yourself who can help these poor dogs.

I cant really say to them though..oh I notice you dont treat your dog the way your supposed to do yoou mind if I take her?the lady does love her and the dog seems pretty happy iv seen this lady in bits when the dog went missing once...:(

i am with phoebe on that one i don't think they should be allowed have a dog at all!!! they are the stupid ones not the bloody dog. i just don't understand how people can treat dog like that when they don't treat humans like it!!!

I'm sorry to say this but I don't see how the Lady can as you say 'Love' the dog the way she treats it. I don't know what to say to help you but I think either say something to her or contact the local spca or dog warden and have them drop in for a word with her. Just some friendly advice.

Sorry if I sound harsh but if a neighbour of mine was treating a cav(or any dog) like this I wouldn't be able to sleep for worrying. I mean leaving the poor little thing out the back and shouting at her when she tries to come in! It's horrible..you are right to be concerned.

I would be phoning the RSPCA or similar This has disgusted and upset me. That poor dog is not loved and if anyone is questioning if she is ask yourself if you would treat your pet like that? of course not. Those people should never be allowed to have a pet.

You could say that you really do like their dog alot, and if they ever decide they'd like to find her another home (since they have expressed that she isn't a good fit for their family), you'd love to have her (make some excuse like you have a relative who is looking for an adult cav, and you think she'd be perfect for them etc. etc). Perhaps they'd take you up on the offer and it won't look like you are accusing them of anything. Then you could turn her over to a rescue for rehoming.

I feel very sad for this poor dog!!
You can always approach them in a manner that since their dog seems to stress them out and cause them headaches that you would be willing to take the dog and find him a home that could spend the time needed to train him properly.
Then allow Cavalier Rescue to take him in.
I would not have been silent this long but I am not known for keeping my opinions to myself.
People that know me know that I am seriously devoted to animals and I wouldn't hesitate to upset someone by telling them if I thought they were mistreating an animal. I wouldn't care if they didn't like it!

It doesn't mean they will listen to you but I would at least bring up the subject. Some people just think they are stuck with a dog and may be relieved to have someone take him off their hands.

Hi Katelyn,

Having read your post I have to admit I had a similar situation about 6 years ago, the problem was the owner of the Cav was my best friend.
Molly was about 8 years old at the time and she lived in the kitchen on a dirty hand towel, they fed her when they remembered, they would go away to my friends parents for the weekend leaving the dog locked in the kitchen and then would wonder why she had had the kitchen bin over and scavanged through it and done her business on the floor....not really suprising!
Molly was constantly shouted at and was only allowed in the kitchen.
Whenever I went to the house she would go mental cuz i would make such a fuss of her and every time my friend would say 'Take her home with you if you want!', the only problem was my parents had said no more dogs!
Well my friend decided to go on holiday to spain for two weeks and asked me to go up to the house twice a day to feed molly and let her out to the loo and feed the guinee pig.
On the first day I went up to the house took one look at Molly and said to her 'come on lets go home, your not staying here if it's the last thing I do!'.
Molly came home with me and my dad fell in love with her and she fell in love with him, by the end of the two weeks we had decided she wasnt going back to my friend.
So when my friend got home I told her Molly was now staying with me forever.
Unfortunately Molly had a really bad heart condition and although she had been diagnosed many years earlier, because my friend couldnt afford the treatment she had never had any of the medication she required.
After a few months Molly went from Skinny to overweight which was when we found out about the heart condition, so from then on she cost £80 a month in medication, and snored like a thunder storm :D
Molly was with us for 5 years and was the lovliest girl ever, even though she had had an awful life until she came to us she was loving, great with kids and daft as a brush. I miss her everyday and would take her again and again if i had to.
My only problem since then was that 2 years ago my friend went and got another dog (a Westie) who is treated better than Molly ever was but is still only allowed in the Kitchen. Then a few months after I got Ruby and Evie this year, she got another puppy!
I'm very angry about it and just hope that they never have to go through what Molly did, and if I ever catch her mistreating them I will be calling the RSPCA straight away!

Sorry for the long post but I just had to tell you about my experience and encourage you to either take the dog yourself or call the RSPCA.

Another friend of mine lived next door to someone who was mistreating their puppy and in the end she and her mother stole the puppy while it was tied up outside in the middle of the night and the mother took it home with her.:jump:
People who mistreat, hit, starve and leave their dogs outside don't deserve to be parents to the dogs and ought to be reported!

It really annoys me when people say Cavs are "a naturally stupid breed". What a load of baloney! Amie is one of the most intelligent and fastest learning little dogs we have ever had.

Also, I remember a Vet on TV saying that the Cavaliers brain is the same size as a Labrador..........and this is one of the reasons they get SM. Labradors are intelligent dogs, unfortunately Cavaliers are just as intelligent. I would easily sacrifice a little of their intelligence if it meant they weren't prone to SM.

It is so horrible to hear about situations where animals are being mistreated. Especially as I am always thinking, that poor little thing would be so much better with us......and then I realise how lucky Amie is! If only all dog owners were as loving and responsible as everyone on this website.

Thanks everyone so much for all your advice-keep it coming!its nice to finally share this problem and get some feedback.

I think it's easy for people to say just take the dog yourself or call the SPCA. However, this person is your neighbor and you DO have to live next to her. If this woman has never expressed an interest in getting rid of her dog, she could be totally stunned and insulted if you offer to adopt her. This will push the woman further away from you and hurt any chance you may have had to help this poor animal. Furthermore, if you call the SPCA, what can they do? Do you have evidence of neglect? Leaving a dog outside is not considered neglect by SPCA standards, as long as there is food and shelter present.

This woman needs to be educated on how dogs should be treated. Perhaps you could have a very respectful chat with her about your concerns. You'd have to approach her in a way that will not put her on the defensive. If you're not comfortable doing that, type an anonymous letter and put it in her mailbox. Who knows...You could change the way she treats animals for the rest of her life.

Hi,Ive had a similar experience to yours except the woman who isnt treating her dog right is a member of our extended family.She has a 10mth old springer spaniel he is gorgeous,lively but in no way controlled.He wees everywhere in the house and when he does he gets punished but the reason he wees is because he hasnt been trained at all.She doesnt have the time,patience or willingness to properly train or look after her little pup.She illtreats him constantly,leaves him outside in the rain,doesnt take him on a regular walk and yet if she does bring him out he goes mad.He runs wild and then she runs wild because he wont come back.Ive had him over at ours for a sleepover to try train him even with his wee-wee problems but he was too wild towards Alex.He obviously wasnt used to other dogs,he is a pup and wasnt let out so its understandable but he was biting Alex's behind and we had none of it.Its not his fault,its the way he's being brought up but because his owner is family its difficult.I thought maybe I could take him onboard and give him a better start but I dont have the time,kids,work,housework and I wouldnt do anything to upset Alex.He's 14 mths and very settled with his routine I wouldnt have the time to care for a wild and mistreated dog.I do understand how you feel,but when its family or friends its difficult to say theyre in the wrong.I do believe that she shouldnt be a pet owner though,what do you do?

That is a tough one -- some people should just never have a dog. And I often wonder why in the world they want one when they clearly see them as a nuisance to be minimized in their lives? Weird.

But I agree that it is hard to just come out and tell them that they are doing everything wrong (even though they clearly are.) Maybe the next time she complains or yells at the poor thing in your presence, you could say something like "Well, any time, any day you want to get rid of her, I know a family who would dearly love to have her and would keep her in the house with them, take her on walks, and generally dote on her."

Or you could tell her that part of the reason her dog is being so "annoying" is that Cavaliers are strictly housedogs, and keeping one outside will inevitably lead to lots of issues like she is experiencing. That way, it is stated like it's just a poor fit between the breed and this family, rather than the real truth that the family are a lot of idiots.

Who knows? She might even take you up on your offer, and at a minimum, at least you've made some points about how dogs should be treated in the meantime, right?

My husband's brother has mentioned wanting a Cavalier and I know he kept his poor little chihuahua outside all the time and I just about had a heart attack when he mentioned a Cavalier. How in the world would I deal with it if he got a Cavalier puppy and kept the poor thing outside all the time, suffering from loneliness, weather, etc.? I couldn't start a family feud over it, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't say something. I pray he won't get one. Whenever I see him, I make sure that I talk about all the health problems in the breed, high vet bills, etc. to dissuade him! :(

People just hate being told what to do and will usually dig their heels in deeper if anyone tries, so it's a hard situation. Poor doggie. It's just so sad to know she's in that situation and so many other people would love her as she deserves to be loved.

Hi Katelyn,
I appreciate this is a difficult situation, but under no circumstances should you just take the dog as my lovely sister's friend did
Another friend of mine lived next door to someone who was mistreating their puppy and in the end she and her mother stole the puppy while it was tied up outside in the middle of the night and the mother took it home with her.:jump:

(SARAH, please don't encourage people to steal, it makes my job twice as hard!)

I had a similar situation this week, but with my neighbour's friend's dog. A scottie x westie, we asked if we could take the dog for rehoming, they soon realised that if not then the rspca would need to be contacted and we picked up meg last night. She was in a poor state, but will be groomed and seen by a vet before finding her forever home.

If you have a gut feeling that it is not right, then i think you need to follow it, but please do it through the correct means, either approach them and ask how they are managing, would they rather the dog be found a different home, or contact the rspca, either way i think something needs to be done for this little cav.

good luck

emily x x

Unfortunately this is the life an awful lot of dogs live day in and day out due to sadly ignorant owners. There would be no grounds to call the ISPCA -- in Ireland as in most countries, if the dog has shelter, food and water and is not being abused, there is nothing welfare agencies can do simply because they don't treat the dog decently.

If the dog pees inside it is ONLY due to their lack f adequate training -- and slapping the dog is only likely to make the problem worse by making the dog fear going in front of them but happy to go inside in hidden places. They need to be thinking more logically about what they are doing (and if they truly believe a dog is 'stupid' how is their training approach going to teach anything? :sl*p:).

All I can say is -- the next time the dog bolts out the door, if it happens to mysteriously disappear, PM me.

Back