• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have a cavalier related problem..

:( This is a tricky situation indeed. It's awful that her Cav is being mistreated, yet as a neighbor you have limited influence. You have to hope that if she and her husband knew more about the breed they wouldn't treat their dog this way. Can you refer her to this board, or to a helpful Cavalier book that you have? Is there a trainer or training class in your community that you could mention as being really helpful to a friend of yours with a "problem" Cavalier?(Not that I believer there is such a thing!) Can you take their dog on walks with yours? Do they have a veterinarian that could advise them that Cavs are indoor dogs? Maybe you could suggest crate training (popular here in the States) as a way to keep the dog inside without having to worry about it being underfoot all the time.

You are right to be concerned. Let us know if you are able to make any progress with your neighbor. Good Luck.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't think crating a dog all day is a better alternative than being out in the garden alone all day. Crating is a useful housetraining tool and very valuable for traveling and short term management :) but I strongly believe it is cruel to leave a dog in a small box for an 8 hour workday 5 days a week. People visiting a zoo would be outraged if animals the size of a cavalier -- a fox say -- was shut up in a crate-sized cage for the day with only enough room to turn around, yet this is increasingly done all day long to dogs for convenience :(. (I encourage people to allow the dog a room -- a gated off kitchen or a spare room, so that it can get up, and move about. I put my four in an upstairs bedroom). Of the two options, I think leaving the dog in a garden with a shed for shelter is a much kinder alternative than crating for a workday but I do not think being left alone in a garden is safe or caring either.

Don't get me wrong, I advise every dog owner to crate train and advise it for housetraining, occasional safe management and because it is so useful for travel (y) -- but crate *training* and daily crate *storage* of a dog are quite different.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The crate suggestion was not meant as an all day alternative, just as a way of getting a better handle on housetraining, and as a safe, warm place for the dog to sleep at night.

Okay, going out on a limb here and prepared to receive some criticism, BUT ... I am a firm believer that there are beings in this world who have no "voice." These beings are usually animals, children and sometimes the elderly. I believe it is our moral responsibility to step in on the vulnerable's behalf. My husband always cringes when we're out in public and we encounter someone being abusive to an animal or child -- he knows I'm going to step in and do or at least say something. Sure, probably most of the time it does no good, but if at least a very small percentage of the time an animal or child is "saved" from a bad situation, then I feel like I've made a difference. I am an attorney, so I am well aware that I have no legal grounds for interference, but there are other "laws" than those set by the state.

If I felt that a dog was being mistreated, neighbor or not, I would voice my concerns. At most, I would go so far as to say that I was extremely concerned and wished to step in on the dog's behalf. You are obviously a caring, concerned dog lover, so if you feel like raising the issue -- go for it! At the very least it will clear your conscience and may even plant a seed in your neighbors' heads and hearts.

The crate suggestion was not meant as an all day alternative, just as a way of getting a better handle on housetraining, and as a safe, warm place for the dog to sleep at night.

(y) Yes that would definitely be a good suggestion.

I'd start by maybe suggesting they contact a good trainer for some advice. They could definitely call Tara at Dog Training Ireland. The problem is they are expecting a dog to figure out what it is supposed t be doing yet not training it or giving it the time to learn -- if the dog lives outside all the time how will it ever learn housetraining?

I'd recommend they get The Good Little Dog Book by Dr Ian Dunbar and maybe Shirlee Kalstone's housetraining book.

The crate suggestion was not meant as an all day alternative, just as a way of getting a better handle on housetraining, and as a safe, warm place for the dog to sleep at night.

(y) Yes that would definitely be a good suggestion.

I'd start by maybe suggesting they contact a good trainer for some advice. They could definitely call Tara at Dog Training Ireland. The problem is they are expecting a dog to figure out what it is supposed t be doing yet not training it or giving it the time to learn -- if the dog lives outside all the time how will it ever learn housetraining?

I'd recommend they get The Good Little Dog Book by Dr Ian Dunbar and maybe Shirlee Kalstone's housetraining book.

But I know this type of owner pretty well -- they are unlikely to change or try anything. And one day that dog will get knocked down and die after it has bolted. Or they will suddenly decide it needs a new home immediately and will try to sell it, probably intact. These are often the source of puppy farm breeding dogs. :(

If the dog needs to go into rescue let me know. Maybe it will be found wandering someday and will end up in rescue and get a better life than it currently has. You'd think if they lost the dog once before they'd be far more attentive to properly training and managing their dog. It always saddens me when cavaliers end up in this type of home as it is a meagre, dull, neglected sort of life for a companion dog and indoor breed to live.

Hi, I thought i'd update everyone helping me out..I was at the lady's house last night just having some tea and when the dog stood up to greet me she told her straight away to lie down and go to sleep and the dog looked so sad. Then I said to myself I have to do something! I kind of started a conversation about it but something happened that changed the subject so I decided to wait about half an hour and mention it agian. But then the lady went over to her dog and started cuddling her and said that she brings her into the kitchen every evening and when they sit down to watch tv at night the dog comes in with them. I ended up staying a bit later than usual and saw the dog hop up on the couch between the lady and her husband while they petted and praised her..in fect every few minutes the lady would give her a cuddle and tell her she was a good girl and the dog seemed very content. So of course I couldnt exactly bring it up then! So the horrible situation is now that it seems she has little time for the dog during the day but all the time in the world for her in the evening and night....and the dog totally adores the lady...:bang: :(

A dog will adore almost anyone that feeds and cares for it -- even abusive people. It is one of the wonderful things about dogs that they are so loyal and forgiving but also one of the sad things as some do not always deserve the affection they get for little input.

If the dog spends evenings inside and your primary concern is that it is living outside in daytime, I'd mention next time you are chatting about how serious a theft problem there is with cavaliers in Ireland -- last year several were taken by thieves in just two weeks in the runup to Christmas and they are regularly listed on lostandfound.ie as stolen from gardens; the guards have said they are one of the most targeted breeds in Ireland. They generally end up sold on for breeding into vile puppy farm conditions, are stolen to order and sold into the UK, or worst of all are sold and used as dogfight bait. I'd casually mention how certain elements will have no problem breaking into a garden to take the dogs even when someone is at home during the day and that it is important to have the dog neutered and get a tag that clearly states the dog is neutered and chipped with a reward for its return, as this is the single best guarantee a dog will make its way back if stolen for breeding. I'd just say you can see how much they love their dog and it would be so sad to have the dog taken... if they say the dog isn't housetrained well enough to stay in, suggest the Kalstone book and the Dunbar book.

To be honest the dog doesn't sound overly neglected, just as if it isn't in the best or safest situation during the day and the owners are pretty lazy about doing any training to transform her into the dog they seem to prefer. Housetraining just takes a bit of effort as does teaching a dog to enjoy being directed to its bed.

Cavaliers - or any living creature for that matter - used as bait for dog fights?!!! I'd no idea. That is beyond horrific.

It is so wonderful that you actually know your neighbor! I think you are very brave to just walk in her house. Did you express your interest in the dogs' well being? Maybe you can use your experience with your cavalier to educate her?

They use cats too. :(

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0218_040218_dogfighting.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6928351.stm
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=613012&page=1

The prevailing mind set among dog fighters is that the more the dog suffers, the tougher he will become, and the better fighter he will be. The fighting dogs are not the only victims of heinous cruelty. Many of the training methods involve torturing and killing of other innocent animals. Often pets are stolen or otherwise obtained to be used as live bait in training exercises to improve the dogs’ endurance, strength, or fighting ability. If the bait animals are still alive after the training sessions, they are usually given to the dogs as a reward, and the dogs finish killing them.

From the Michigan State Univ. animal law page:
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/qvusdogfighting.htm

oh my god! thats so awful! my granny had a cavalier stolen from her garden,she let him out the back then went to the shops and when she got back her house had been broken into and her beautiful dog was gone..she hadnt even been out that long!she was heartbroken especially since she rarely let the dog out of her sight she only let him out the back while she was gone coz it was lovely weather and he loved to lie out in the sun!:(

Back