Thread: If a dog's reaction can be a barometer...

Post Thanks / Like

Default If a dog's reaction can be a barometer...

for the quality of a food, I have found a great one.
    Since bringing Bandit home the end of July, he has had 4 different foods. He came home on Eukanuba. I switched him to Canidae. Then I found Canidae had sold out to Diamond manufacturing, so I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic Select Lamb and Rice. That is running low, so I decided to try Taste of the Wild's Wetland formula (duck and something or other in it). Well, from the minute I got the bag out of the car, Bandit was trying to rip it open. I gave him a little (have to switch slowly, so he won't get tummy problems) and he inhaled it. He was trying to stick his head in the bag for more. He LOVES it! He keeps running over to the bin I keep the food in and looking at me desperately (and he has the Eagle Pack food in his bowl, so it isn't just plain hunger driving him) I have never seen him act like that except when I give him real meat.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Hi,
    I hate to rain on your parade, but i think Taste of the Wild is also manufactured by Diamond. When you check both websites in the section FAQ: "Where are your foods made?" both companies list the same locations word for word. And the headquarters for Taste of the Wild is Meta, Missouri which is where one of Diamond's manufacturing plants is.
    I used to feed my Riley Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream formula and he loved it, but i didn't want to stick with Diamond foods. I ended up switching to Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato (which he adores).
    I just thought i would give you that info. for your own investigation.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

well crap...diamond is like a huge monopoly! Dog foods sure don't like to associate with their name, either. They keep their websites seperate and different looking. Perhaps the reason Bandit likes it so much is it is completely grain-free. I've never given him a grain-free food before.
    Guess I will have to give something else a try. I just don't trust their manufacturing after all the recalls.

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Innova EVO - they are also grainless. The first time I brought home the EVO red meat you would have thought I was holding an actual steak. Mine both love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most smaller food companies are owned, or probably will eventually be owned, by a larger one these days, it seems -- it is just the way these things go. Same has happened in cosmetics for example. I don't think they set up separate sites to fool buyers -- it is likely more that it is seen as desireable for the individual company to retain its own brand identity. And often it is a separately run subsidiary with its own manufacturing site and management etc. If you have questions about the manufacturing process, why not contact the brand through its website.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and information! It helps to be a more informed consumer!